5 days ago
A series of maps comparing the municipal subway layouts in major cities around the world has been tickling some net users who just can’t get enough of Helsinki’s metro design. Some are calling it proof that Finns like to keep things simple–and you’ve got to admit, when you see the image stacked up next to a map of Tokyo’s metro system, they may have a point!
Mar 20, 2015
Is there a place for tea parties and frilly dresses for women in the 21st century? The answer is a resounding yes from these lolita fashion ladies!
Mar 17, 2015
Kabuki’s not just a fascinatingly odd spectacle of Japanese traditional performance art, it’s also the last word in style. The Kabuki “look” has been cropping up lately in areas as diverse as nail art and face masks. One of our RocketNews24 writers even tried out the Kabuki face mask and loved it.
And now, totally stylish and not at all lame fashion brand UNIQLO is getting in on a piece of the Kabuki action with their new range of clothing, UNIQLO X Shochiku Kabuki!
Mar 17, 2015
For generations, Rolls-Royce has been the most exalted name in British automaking. Yes, the Mini may have had the most historical significance. Various models of MGs and Triumphs provided immense pleasure for the driver at an affordable price, and Aston Martin did likewise at unaffordable ones. But for absolute presence and luxury, none of them could ever touch Rolls-Royce.
For its latest showcase model, though, the carmaker with a history as English as high tea looked east for inspiration, and the result is the Serenity Phantom, a car decorated in silk and cherry blossom motifs that looks like it’d be as appropriate for transporting a member of the Japanese imperial family as a British royal.
Scott R Dixon
Mar 17, 2015
If you’re looking forward to action role-playing game Final Fantasy XV and also happen to have a love for the outdoors, then we have some exciting news for you. A Japanese video game news site has recently uncovered some more details on the “camping” feature in Square Enix’s forthcoming title where characters can rest, manage stats and cook food. And to emphasize just how important camping will be to the storyline, Square Enix has partnered with outdoor equipment Coleman to bring its camping gear, such as tents, chairs and stoves, straight into the world of Final Fantasy.
Mar 16, 2015
A few years ago when I lived in northern Japan, I and the other resident foreigners were pretty excited when we first heard that a new H&M would be opening in Sendai. The store would be a familiar, inexpensive alternative to Uniqlo, and we wouldn’t have to travel all the way to shop at the Tokyo store, after all.
It’s too bad that I’m not around anymore to check out H&M’s spring 2015 fashion line, which includes some adorable Japan and anime-inspired prints. But wait–we can buy some of them overseas, too!?
Whoever said that Niigata Prefecture is home the most beautiful women in Japan may need to think again. For the second year in the row, the Japanese representative for the Miss Universe competition hails from Nagasaki, with last year’s crown holder being Keiko Tsuji. As cool as that is, the real story of the year is that the 2015 representative, Ariana Miyamoto, is half Japanese.
It’s no surprise that Western features are considered beautiful in Japan. Heck, some women are actively seeking a foreign partner in order to produce absolutely adorable “haafu” (half-Japanese) babies. Sometimes, due to their alluring features, haafu are not always treated the same, or even as Japanese, as their native peers. Miss Nagasaki faced her fair share of race-related challenges too and although some people are against her acting as a representative for Japan due to her mixed heritage, she is also receiving a lot of support.
Mar 14, 2015
It’s no secret that McDonald’s Japan has been enthusiastic about collaborating with various anime and character franchises to come up with goodies for children. In the past we’ve seen toys featuring Pokémon and Yokai Watch, as well as Pretty Cure, Super Mario and Transformers, among others, being offered with their Happy Meals, and kids certainly seem to be, well, happy with their Happy Meals, since almost 100 million of these sets are apparently sold in Japan each year.
This month, none other than Doraemon, the time-travelling blue cat robot, makes an appearance as six different Happy Meal toys, and they definitely look ready to delight children across Japan!
Hiroshi Ohtake, an 82-year-old voice actor known for his roles in 1960s anime like Mōretsu Atarō (Nyarome), Pāman (Booby) and Himitsu no Akko-chan (Daisho), won the Achievement Award at the 9th Seiyū Awards on March 7. He used the occasion to speak about the challenges faced by up-and-coming voice actors.
When we look at our four-legged companions, we can see ourselves stripped of all the complications of being human. After all, dogs seem to derive an almost inordinate amount of joy from the simplest pleasures: a well-chewed bone; a warm spot on the couch; occasional rolls in the dirt. Yet, as with humans, there are some dogs that value the finer things in life.
Samsung might just have the answer for these posh canines: the Dream Doghouse. With building costs of US$30,000, this prime piece of real estate is hardly a bargain… but, then again, how many doghouses have a hydro-pool and treadmill?
After the March 11 earthquake and tsunami struck northeastern Japan, Tokyo-based photographers Brian Scott Peterson and Yuko Yoshikawa were frustrated by the limited impact of volunteer options close to home, so they decided to head up to Tohoku with the vague idea that people in temporary housing might be interested in having family portraits taken.
Clearly, that tapped into an unmet need, because four years later that one-off trip has become Photohoku, a ballooning volunteer organization that takes monthly trips to Tohoku, has gifted over 10,000 instant family portraits, and has even inspired similar groups overseas.
Today, as we remember those who lost their lives in the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami four years ago, we take a brief look at how this truly inspired project continues to bring a little bit of extra sunshine into the lives of those who survived one of Japan’s greatest natural disasters.
Mar 11, 2015
For many of us, mobile devices are an inescapable part of daily life. But for all the convenience they bring, we have to remember that there is such thing as too much of a good thing. The spread of smartphones and other mobile devices has brought with it a slew of ailments caused by overuse.
You may have heard of – or even currently suffer from – “text claw,” which is the pain you get in your wrists and hands from constant use. In addition to this and other increasing ailments is what is being called “smartphone pinky“, which is classified as pain and even temporary deformity of the pinky finger from, you guessed it, excessive smartphone use. If you’re reading this on your phone now, you may want to adjust the way you’re holding your mobile device.
Mar 8, 2015
About a month ago, video game website Arcade Sushi released a list of the “10 Most Bizarre Fighting Game Characters.” After a while it circulated around to the shores of Japan where it was translated and submitted to the fighting gamers here for consideration.
In true fighting game fashion, we thought it would be fun to pit Arcade Sushi’s 10 fighters against suggestions made by gamers in Japan. So put your quarters up and let’s see who emerges the King of Weird Characters.
With the upcoming Disney animated short Frozen Fever set to debut in theatres on March 13, you might be in need of a recap of the original film, so check out this two-and-a-half-minute video of Frozen as told through emoji.
Think of the two greatest animation achievements in history least likely to go together, and you might come up with an incongruous mishmash of The Simpsons and Akira.
Perhaps precisely because of the way these two animated works (with the exception of “Treehouse of Horror”) couldn’t be further apart from each other in style and execution, the “Bartkira” project – which mixes characters from the series and anime film into each others’ universes and animation styles – has been a huge success.
And it’s coming to Tokyo’s Gallery Hakusen on March 7 and 8; this very weekend at time of writing.
Mar 4, 2015
VR unit-awaiting heads up, gamers and tech fans. Sony has announced that Project Morpheus, its virtual reality add-on for PlayStation 4, will go on sale during the first half of 2016. And the latest build is boasting some impressive stats.
Mar 4, 2015
Painting your own nails can be a stressful affair fraught with frustration – nail polish is actually a pretty difficult medium to work with, and a steady hand is required to end up with finished nails that don’t resemble those of a two-year-old who spent the afternoon finger painting. This new “water marble” technique promises to help even sausage-fingered ladies achieve gorgeous nails simply by dipping their digits into a bowl of water and nail polish.
But does this supposed nail hack even work?
A week or two ago, we brought you news of the character cast list for the newest Dragon Ball Z film, which is set to hit theaters in Japan later this year. The film will be the second personally overseen by series creator Akira Toriyama, which is great news, but the character list reveal might have struck some as kind of lukewarm.
It only listed the good guys, after all, and not a single one of them was an entirely new character – although a handful made first appearances in the last Toriyama film.
Today, though, we have some actual surprising information to share with you about Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no Z: Frieza, the film’s main villain, will be sporting a “Super” version of his own this time out, and it might remind you a lot of the Monkey Idol from Indiana Jones.
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”1
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea2
- Fan-made TIE Fighter short film: For people who love Star Wars, anime, or just plain awesomeness3
- “It all came out?” Debate ensues over whether schoolgirl ad is just talking about mayonnaise4
- Pikachu puts on a suit, hopes hiring managers will choose him as a business formal plushie5
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map6
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz7
- Have you foresaken sleep and completed Bloodborne already? Now you can move on to PvP mode!8
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll9
- Sadly (thankfully?), this jiggle-inducing piece of video game kit isn’t real…yet10
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives1
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】4
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines5
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl6
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them7
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits8
- Bizarre video series gives pervy weirdos a glimpse of girls’ panties in very specific situations9
- Kabe-don? That’s old news. Now it’s all about the sode-kuru!10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20156
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens7
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz
- Have you foresaken sleep and completed Bloodborne already? Now you can move on to PvP mode!
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll
- Sadly (thankfully?), this jiggle-inducing piece of video game kit isn’t real…yet
- Woman loses an eye from foul ball at Sapporo Dome, sues team for millions of yen
- Fried chicken teams up with instant ramen in this cup of noodles fit for a king
- We bought 21 packs of roasted shellfish to try to find a pearl – but did we get lucky?
- Japan government hard at work trying to prevent Shibuya Ward approving same-sex marriages
- Must try harder: This crane game in Japan is laughably bad 【Video】
- Satisfy all your slicing and dicing needs with this incredibly kawaii kitty kitchen knife
- Adorable Ili pika photographed for the first time in 20 years
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives