One of the best things about living overseas is the opportunity to learn the local lingo. By learning to communicate with the locals, it’s easier to get by day-to-day, and you’ll be able to unravel much more about the country’s culture. A Spanish YouTuber living in Taiwan shared a list of must-know pet phrases that he picked up by observing the locals. If you’re learning the Chinese language, starting a new phase in life in Taiwan, or even just imagining taking a trip to the lovely country, hit the “read more” button!
- Preston Phro
Jun 16, 2014
Hey, it’s Monday! Aren’t you excited to be back at work? We sure are! Of course, writing at RocketNews24 is probably the coolest job you can get, so maybe our experience is slightly different…
But even if you do love your job, waking up in the morning can still be a pain, can’t it? Now, some of you are probably those mythical “morning people,” who wake up without an alarm and are actually capable of speech without three cups of coffee and a cold shower. But for the rest of you, we bet you need an alarm clock or three to wake you up. If so, this tweet will have you nodding your sleepy head.
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, HBO’s hit TV show Game of Thrones must be feeling rather pleased with itself these days. From Disney cartoon characters to woodblock-like prints of the show in feudal-era Japan, there is no lack of love from talented fans.
This newest fan-made project is sure to please both fans of the show and gamers around the world, as it blends the world of none other than Super NES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past with the realm of Westeros.
Click below to see Zelda get the Game of Thrones treatment.
Now, we’re aware that we here at RocketNews24 have maybe just a tiny bit of weakness for tasty treats (or is it just me?) and we’ve featured many edible works of art on our site, from magnificent Kirby tarts to adorable cat-shaped sweets, but we have to say this particular work has certainly impressed us with its unique simplicity. Who would have thought that a good ol’ Oreo cookie could be changed into an artistic presentation with a few scrapes of the hand (albeit some very skillful scrapes)? And if you’re familiar with Japanese ukiiyo-e block prints, you may have the feeling that you’ve seen the image created with the cream somewhere before. Yes, this actually is a surprisingly expert recreation of the famous ukiyo-e print by Hokusai Katsushika titled the Great Wave off Kanagawa, or sometimes referred to simply as The Wave, and once you compare it to the painting, we think you’ll agree that the execution really is quite superb!
If there’s one thing every human being has in common with some of anime’s most beloved friendly monsters, it’s a love of being super, super lazy. Mei found Totoro sleeping one off in the forest, after all, and who can forget that obviously lazy (though somewhat creepy) daikon-monster in Spirited Away?
Then there’s perhaps the most famous lazy anime monster: Snorlax from Pokémon; who I always want to call “the Snorlax” because it sounds like a Dr. Seuss character. The bear-like Snorlax is known throughout the Pokémon universe as an exceptionally lazy, docile – though voracious – creature. Heck, its first appearance in the anime was in a story that revolved around Snorlax falling asleep in a river somehow and blocking up an entire town’s water supply for months.
Now you and Snorlax can block up lazy RPG towns’ water supplies together with this exceedingly comfortable-looking Snorlax bed!
J-pop usually brings to mind images of teenage girls dancing in unison while singing songs about…something resembling love. It’s about as saccharine as you can get without actually pouring a sachet of sugar directly into your ear. But there’s an exception to every rule, and we today we have for you some of the most fascinating pop music–and videos–you’ll likely ever see.
Even if you’re not a J-pop fan, there’s a good chance you’ve heard of Sputniko!, the artist name of Hiromi Ozaki, and her delightful take on popular music. One of the recipients of Vogue Japan’s 2013 Women of the Year award, this mathematician-turned-artist is not at all what you would call an idol–in fact she’s almost an anti-idol! Her music, voice, and videos, though, are just as enjoyable as anything you’ll find on the radio and far, far more thoughtful. Oh, and did we mention that she’s a professor at MIT?
Jun 15, 2014
They say charity is sweet, but we’re pretty sure it doesn’t come much sweeter than this. Yes, it’s a charity project that involves an internationally renowned patissier, as well as the most famous mascot cat in the world, and it’s called “Macaron Day“. Even the name sounds sweet, doesn’t it?
As the name suggests, the charity features the delectable macarons created by master pastry chef Pierre Hermé, but it’s also about raising money for children fighting serious diseases. And this year, our beloved Hello Kitty will be pitching in to help with the project — by becoming the PR ambassador for Macaron Day in Japan! Now, we know we’ve often described Hello Kitty as a hardcore entrepreneur who isn’t at all picky about the jobs she takes on, but this time, she’s all about seriously contributing to a good cause. But what kind of event is this Macaron Day, and how exactly did Hello Kitty become involved in it?
- Preston Phro
Jun 15, 2014
Father’s Day is always tough for the kids–there’s quite possibly no one harder to shop for than a father, despite what hardware store commercials would have you believe. After all, even if you do decide to get him a new set of tools, how can you be sure that these are the right tools to get him? You’re almost better off just setting your money on fire!
But what about the men out there who are spending the day wishing they had someone to buy them presents they never actually wanted? Thankfully, there’s a new item up for rent on Japan’s Yahoo! Auction site that might be just the thing…
Only a few days ago the internet was abuzz when a tweet popped up claiming that the Japanese national soccer team arrived in Brazil in a Pokémon jet. Naturally, Pokémon and soccer fans around the world were envious of the sweet ride, and even big-name news agencies, including USA Today, The Toronto Sun, and CBS Sports, all reported the fun fact. However, much to everyone’s disappointment, it has just been revealed that the tweet was nothing more than a prank.
- Joan Coello
Jun 14, 2014
Girls just wanna have fun. Some time ago, Japanese high school “funny girl” Reika Oozeki entertained us with her hilarious Vine videos showing the difference between how girls behave when they’re with their boyfriends and with their friends.
If you had a good laugh at Reika’s cranky acts, you’ll probably enjoy the exaggerated actions of these Chinese school girls too! Check them out after the jump!
- Preston Phro
Jun 13, 2014
Owls are the cutest things with feathers this side of baby penguins tripping over their own feet. Even people who don’t like birds love owls–they’re just that freaking adorable. If we had to guess, we’d say it’s probably their enormous eyes, soft feathers, and ability to sit and stare for hours on end. Normally that would be creepy, but like cats, that predatory stare of “what shall I eat today?” is purely lovable when you know they’re (probably) not thinking about eating human face meat.
But have you ever wondered just how patient an owl can be? While a cat will sleep in your lap (or under your keyboard), one wrong move and it’s claws-in-flesh time. So how about our feathered friends?
- Casey Baseel
Jun 13, 2014
With the 2014 World Cup officially underway in Brazil, sports fans on in Japan are excitedly looking forward to the first game featuring the country’s best soccer players. The wait is almost over, as Japan is scheduled to take on Ivory Coast on Saturday night.
One Japanese citizen has already been part of the on-field action, though, as Tokyo-native Yuichi Nishimura was part of the officiating crew for the tournament opener between Croatia and Brazil, where he awarded a controversial penalty kick that some are crediting with helping to secure a victory for the host country.
“Hey, you, go dress the mannequins in the window. Do whatever you want, but make sure you show off this season’s gift items. And make it summer-y, you know. It’s getting warmer, after all.” “Ok, boss, whatever you say…”
We have no idea whether this was employee sabotage or a knowing campaign, but this window display is certainly attracting attention in all the right places.
- Krista Rogers
Jun 12, 2014
Singing that kimchi is delicious but that she prefers her familiar cendol (a traditional dessert) and keropok (shrimp crackers), 17-year-old Joyce Chu (also known as 四葉草) from Johor Bahru, Malaysia has become quite the YouTube sensation. It’s now approaching three weeks since her song and video Malaysia Chabor (“Malaysian Girl”) about her experiences being mistaken for a Korean in her home country was first published on YouTube, and since then the video has racked up 3.9 million views and counting.
With her good looks and sweet voice, it was inevitable that Joyce would pick up a few admirers after her sudden rise to fame. One man in particular seems to be quite smitten with her, and even went so far as to create his own original response video to her song.
Who is this mysterious admirer? Keep reading to find out more and watch his video for yourself!
- Krista Rogers
Jun 11, 2014
While avid football (or soccer, if you prefer) fans around the world are ticking down the days until Thursday (the start of the FIFA World Cup) a popular YouTuber in Singapore is doing his part to ease their anticipation with a few laughs. He and his group of friends put together a brilliant video in which they recreate some common situations people find themselves in while watching game after game of the tournament. You can definitely relate to their list whether you’re a staunch supporter yourself or if you’re surrounded by people who are.
Which of the parodied scenarios can you sympathize with most?
You know you might be running out of things to be outraged about when a girl without makeup makes you lose your mind.
Recently, a ballet dancer from Denmark made waves in China when she appeared on a talent show to perform an interpretation of the classic fairy tale, The Ugly Duckling. So captivating was the girl’s beauty that apparently the cameramen filming the performance just couldn’t help but focus on her from start to finish.
The already-rapt Chinese Interweb users apparently couldn’t get enough of the girl’s beauty, which led to frantic, borderline-stalker web searches for more of her pictures. Eventually, users then stumbled across photos of her sans-makeup on her personal Instagram page and the Chinese Internet promptly exploded.
Jun 11, 2014
So, you’re at a party and having a great time. The girl/guy you’ve had a crush on since you walked in seems to be really into you, the drinks are flowing, and the host is cool. But then you realise you have to poop. Like, really bad.
You excuse yourself, get to the bathroom and do your business only to find that the party’s all-you-can-eat Indian curry and Taco Bell buffet was a little more than your body could handle. Now you’ve got 11 inches of stagnant water staring you down and the romantic interest you were hitting on is knocking on the door saying she’s next in line to pee.
Do you: A) reach for the nearby plunger, B) exit the bathroom complaining loudly about the mess that “someone” left, C) escape through the nearest window, or D) use one of these patented South Korean toilet seals to clean up the whole mess?
Chinese citizens are often caught urinating and defecating in public places around Hong Kong and mainland China, but that didn’t stop this disapproving male passenger from taking matters into his own hands.
- Preston Phro
Jun 9, 2014
Even if you’re not an animal person, there’s a good chance that you’ll still like dogs. Or at least some kinds of dogs! We can understand people not enjoying being around smaller, shriller breeds, but everyone loves Akitas, right? Any animal that can inspire memes and cryptocurrency can’t be all bad, right?
And while there’s nothing quite as heartwarming as a happy Akita, it tuns out that they’re also the dogs you want by your side if you ever happen to run into a bear. At least if this adorable YouTube video is any sign!
Jun 9, 2014
Now, one thing we can tell you for sure is that we here at RocketNews24 never get tired of appreciating cute sweets, whether they’re Totoro macaroons or cat paw marshmallows. This time, we’ve found a series of delightful GIF images that show adorable Rilakkuma treats actually being created. And what makes it particularly fun is that the sweets aren’t made in a fancy pastry shop or cafe; they’re made with what looks like a relatively simple kit that anyone can use at home! The results, nonetheless, are certainly cute enough to brighten your day. Just take a look for yourself!
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed1
- Spongebob and friends get stunning human makeovers, are surprisingly eye-candylicious!【Pics】2
- Japanese farmer uses terrifying scarecrow, traumatizes children3
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】4
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC5
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan6
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide7
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane8
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight1
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC2
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane3
- 16-year-old girl arrested for beheading classmate in Japan’s Nagasaki Prefecture4
- This watermelon might be the most disappointing thing you see today5
- Hairy armpit selfies have invaded China’s biggest social networking platform【Photos】6
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】7
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】8
- BABYMETAL plays first ever US show, bootleg videos leave us wowed9
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!4
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】5
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】6
- Little kid causes a stink after parents tell him to poop in his seat during Delta Airlines flight7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- Peaches packaged in pairs of panties provoke protests in PRC10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】9
- This amazing water cake just may be the most delicate sweet ever created!10
- Attack on Titan and Evangelion coming to Universal Studios Japan
- Fending off unwanted Kabe-don: A guide
- Some flights are more cramped than others – 29 sumo wrestlers pack into one tiny plane
- Pikachus overrunning Yokohama in the cutest rodent invasion ever 【Video】
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】
- How to properly pronounce “Ghibli” and other fun trivia about the legendary animation studio
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- McDonald’s Japan just released Tofu Nuggets, and they taste… 【Taste Test】
- Promotion offers perfect one-week living space for otaku: An apartment pre-stocked with manga
- Basement Jaxx’s bizarre Japan-based music video freaks us out, makes us want to dance
- Jerome Le Banner walks old lady across the street even though it would’ve been easier to toss her
- Live-action Attack on Titan confirmed for 2 films
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!