After the initial dust settles on the scene of a tragedy there comes the more protracted, but often less news-worthy, battle for answers and accountability. From the outset Korean authorities have come under fire from the public as well as government officials who claim that the immediate response to the incident was not good enough, and the accusations of incompetence continue to mount.
You know you’re pretty famous when you have your own Wikipedia page. Sure, some people just take the shortcut of writing their own Wiki and acting like they’re a big deal (I’m looking at you, weird Dungeons and Dragons extra with suspiciously specific and in-depth Wikipedia entry), but when other people write a page all about you of their own accord, you kind of know you’re a big deal.
That’s what happened with Paraguayan model and actress Larissa Riquelme when, in 2010, a photographer caught her celebrating a Paraguay team goal at the 2010 South Africa World Cup and the globe collectively paused, sucked in their breath, and shifted awkwardly in their chairs.
As you probably already know, the world is currently in the grip of World Cup fever, with almost every channel on TV and website riding the wave. For soccer (or football) fans, this might be the best time in four years, but for the non-fans who are instead getting annoyed by soccer highlights popping up on TV and flooding their Facebook timelines, here’s an article about baseball for a change!
Korean internet content giant Naver’s trend reporters show us the stereotypes of baseball spectators in Korea! What type of baseball fan are you?
- Master Blaster
Jun 22, 2014
Do you often find your purse, backpack, attaché case is crammed with sugary snacks to help you through your day? If so you may want to follow these girls’ example and have your snacks become the bag.
Jun 19, 2014
Le sigh… Sorry guys, it’s time for yet another South Korean tale of cosmetic surgery woes. I know I write way too much about South Korea’s penchant for cosmetic surgery and how things can turn towards the uncanny valley a little too quickly. I know you guys wish I’d just get off the topic because it’s depressing.
Wait… What? WAIT WHAT?! There’s a person who got serious cosmetic surgery and it actually worked out really well?!
Jun 16, 2014
For a serious artist, there must be no greater tragedy than to see your life’s work rent asunder by a hateful public that doesn’t understand your message.
South Korean artist Eunsuk Yoo must be heartbroken, then, now that the Lotte Shopping Center in Busan has elected to remove his now-infamous Boner Spider-Man sculpture from high up on one of the center’s outer walls, because they just couldn’t grasp his high concept message.
If there’s one thing every human being has in common with some of anime’s most beloved friendly monsters, it’s a love of being super, super lazy. Mei found Totoro sleeping one off in the forest, after all, and who can forget that obviously lazy (though somewhat creepy) daikon-monster in Spirited Away?
Then there’s perhaps the most famous lazy anime monster: Snorlax from Pokémon; who I always want to call “the Snorlax” because it sounds like a Dr. Seuss character. The bear-like Snorlax is known throughout the Pokémon universe as an exceptionally lazy, docile – though voracious – creature. Heck, its first appearance in the anime was in a story that revolved around Snorlax falling asleep in a river somehow and blocking up an entire town’s water supply for months.
Now you and Snorlax can block up lazy RPG towns’ water supplies together with this exceedingly comfortable-looking Snorlax bed!
Jun 11, 2014
So, you’re at a party and having a great time. The girl/guy you’ve had a crush on since you walked in seems to be really into you, the drinks are flowing, and the host is cool. But then you realise you have to poop. Like, really bad.
You excuse yourself, get to the bathroom and do your business only to find that the party’s all-you-can-eat Indian curry and Taco Bell buffet was a little more than your body could handle. Now you’ve got 11 inches of stagnant water staring you down and the romantic interest you were hitting on is knocking on the door saying she’s next in line to pee.
Do you: A) reach for the nearby plunger, B) exit the bathroom complaining loudly about the mess that “someone” left, C) escape through the nearest window, or D) use one of these patented South Korean toilet seals to clean up the whole mess?
- Master Blaster
Jun 11, 2014
With the 2014 FIFA World Cup all set to start, the 32 qualifying teams are hard at work preparing for the final tournament and getting as many edges over the competition as possible in order to survive to the end.
However, with such drive and passion it’s only natural for some teams to go a little over the line in their preparation from time to time. That’s what seemed to have happened with the Korea Republic national team who came up with the idea of swapping most of their players’ uniform numbers in their games leading up to the tournament in order to protect their strategy from prying eyes of the competition.
The disaster pictured above occurred in the parking area of an apartment complex in Korea this week. One witness who captured the incident on video described waking up to loud crashing noises and the carnage below, which included broken glass, various other materials strewn about the lot and a mysterious red splatter on the roof of a car parked nearby. Meanwhile, survivors stand by as if in shock of the destruction unleashed. We are left to wonder: What kind of people would willingly join into something capable of creating such chaos and violence not only to themselves but innocent people around them?
We’ve looked at plastic surgery in South Korea from pretty much every angle there is, but this is the first time we’ve come across something quite like this!
The Korean Wave (Hallyu) of pop culture has been steadily gaining strength around the world over the last few years as more and more people discover the infectious sounds of K-Pop and the addictive plot lines of K-dramas (seriously, I double dare you to watch only one episode before going to bed). South America is no exception to the trend, with starstruck female fans swooning over the dreamy Korean men and soaking up the trademark dances that go with each song. Which is perhaps why one 25-year-old Brazilian man decided to undergo a series of cosmetic surgeries to make himself look more Korean.
We’ve heard of Korean citizens getting work done to look more like Western models and stars, but this is a first for us. Join us after the jump for a slew of photos from this man’s amazing transformation.
YouTube videos that rack up millions of views tend to feature either funky music, dancing, or children or animals doing adorable things. These are the kind of links we share again and again, sending to our friends and happily watching multiple times. These two Korean babies rocking out to dance music, therefore, were always going to be the perfect mix for a YouTube hit!
May 27, 2014
I have a little game I sometimes like to play where I compare Japanese people I see on the street with American celebrities and friends. I once had a Japanese acquaintance who was a dead ringer for Nathan Lane, for example, and a popular Japanese comedian reminds me a whole lot of a childhood friend.
Of course, it’s not like these guys were going out of their way to look like Westerners; they just happened to have similar features. But there’s a whole other class of Japanese, Koreans and other East Asians that spend an exorbitant amount of time and money trying to get that Hollywood look – from wardrobe changes to hair dying, even skin bleaching and plastic surgery.
Results are typically mixed, but one South Korean woman apparently hit the jackpot in her quest to look like Australian model Miranda Kerr – because, after numerous plastic surgeries, she’s pretty well on her way to looking like Kerr’s long-lost twin.
May 23, 2014
Fans may be counting the days with anticipation until the launch of the new Sailor Moon anime series in July, but in the meantime, the good folks at Bandai have come up with yet another attractive product inspired by the series. Yes, the new “Pullip Sailor Moon” has just become available for pre-order, and it looks like Sailor Moon fans now have one more lovely product to seriously covet. And unlike some of the other Sailor Moon goods from Bandai, this one is not just a cute gadget, but a re-creation of the magical guardian warrior herself!
How would you like to live in the Leaning Tower of Pisa…or something close to it? That pretty much fits the description of this newly constructed apartment building in South Korea that inexplicably tilted to the side just days before completion. So if you’re looking for a slightly unconventional place to live, why not give this building a try? Just beware of sliding furniture…
It is now approaching one month since the passenger ferry Sewol sank off the coast of Jindo, South Korea. The whole world has watched the death toll rise to an official count of 275, with several dozen people still missing. Compounding the catastrophic loss of life is the fact that the majority of the victims were mere high school students on a field trip to popular Jeju Island.
Many South Korean citizens are lambasting the government for its response to the disaster. Several crew members, including the captain, have also been arrested during the ongoing criminal investigation.
In light of these events, one question that is currently on everyone’s mind is how on earth is the ship’s operating company going to handle the financial burden of this disaster? Join us as a lawyer knowledgeable about shipwrecks gives his preliminary monetary estimates.
- Philip Kendall
May 8, 2014
Electronics giant LG has announced that its line of “HomeChat”-enabled appliances — a refrigerator, washing machine, and Lightwave oven that can be communicated with and operated via messaging service Line — is now available to buy in its native South Korea.
By using the popular smartphone app, users can chat with their various gizmos as if they were ordinary human contacts, asking them questions as well as providing additional information to alter their functions. Thanks to the technology built into the appliances with which the app communicates, it’s possible not just to remotely check the temperature inside the fridge or put on a load of laundry, but to find out how many beers you have or delay your usual wash cycle by 30 minutes simply by telling the machine you’ll be home late.
Further controversy has emerged surrounding the South Korean Sewol ferry disaster, as a TV crew is accused of setting up footage of a rescue diver. Korean media reports that a member of the rescue team who was not working at the time was put in a wetsuit and drenched in water to give the appearance that he had just come back from a dive. Media crews apparently said that a dry-haired diver would not be realistic and believable enough.
The official website for the Pokémon XY television series announced on Monday that the previously scheduled episode for Thursday, April 24, “Kaitei no Shiro! Kuzumō to Doramidoro!!” (Castle at the Bottom of the Ocean! Skrelp and Dragalge!!), has been delayed indefinitely “due to circumstances.”
Officials neither confirm nor deny rumor that Japanese support was denied for South Korean ferry disaster
- Master Blaster
Apr 20, 2014
During a meeting in a gymnasium on Jindo Island in South Korea between Coast Guard officials and families of those on board the recently capsized ferry, one family member brought up a circulating rumor that the South Korean government had refused search and rescue support from neighboring Japan.
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!1
- Why does Japan have so many overhead power lines?2
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!3
- Ao-nyan: Japan’s super-feminine model who’s, yes, actually a guy 【Photos】4
- Insane lines for the iPhone 6 from around the world5
- Leg-based marketing campaign at Tokyo Game Show catches eyes, leaves attendees scratching their heads6
- Mr. Sato shows up in costume, is the first to purchase an iPhone 6 Plus, meets Ken Watanabe AGAIN7
- Pirates, pink hair and temporary tattoos: The girls of Tokyo Game Show 2014【Photos】8
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong9
- Taking indoor shoes out: Elementary student style now trending among women in Japan10
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Korean cosmetic surgery show treats two Thai women to free procedures3
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!4
- Wife gets revenge on pervy husband with equally NSFW bento5
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls6
- Chinese university gets hot new Japanese teacher; internet goes crazy7
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls Part 7: “We Guess We Made Another One” 【Photos】8
- The Boobie Squeezing Simulator: Oculus Rift at its creepiest9
- Japanese lingerie company designs special bra for Japan’s marshmallow girls10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later3
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons4
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady5
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】6
- Hello Kitty isn’t a cat!? We called Sanrio to find out!7
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!8
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years9
- Taiwanese Tsunade cosplayer sparks debate about public decency at events10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady8
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】9
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!10
- Leg-based marketing campaign at Tokyo Game Show catches eyes, leaves attendees scratching their heads
- Mr. Sato shows up in costume, is the first to purchase an iPhone 6 Plus, meets Ken Watanabe AGAIN
- Pirates, pink hair and temporary tattoos: The girls of Tokyo Game Show 2014【Photos】
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong
- Taking indoor shoes out: Elementary student style now trending among women in Japan
- School kids in Japan build incredible working tea cup rides for school festivals
- KFC Japan unveils even more amazing, ridiculous fried chicken merch
- 【Photos】 Taiwan’s Jiufen — the Real-World Inspiration for Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away
- Kid’s video of whirlwind Japan tour reveals otaku paradise, pervy action figures
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls
- Benesse apologizes to customers by giving them 5 bucks, guilts them into donating the money back
- Tokyo Disney Sea adds pitch-black sausage, other spooky treats for Halloween