Singapore may have a reputation for being an extremely safe and clean country, but there is a good reason for that—very strict laws. The infamous gum ban is just one of the many rules in Singapore designed to keep the city-state tidy and well-behaved. So if you are planning a trip to Singapore (besides perfecting your race-walking skills) you might want to check out some other local laws that are surprisingly stricter compared to other developed countries. Click below to read about 10 laws in Singapore that you should probably follow unless you plan on taking an up close and personal tour of a Singapore jail!
- KK Miller
Jun 14, 2014
Reusable, renewable energy is the holy grail of the modern age and the world needs the best and the brightest to find effective sources of it. With that in mind, some of the world’s biggest organizations hold events for the up-and-coming to showcase their ideas for a better tomorrow, and at the Google Science Fair this year one young “Tony Stark” from the Philippines has unleashed a brilliant idea on the world that is getting everyone’s attention: footwear that generates electricity.
With summer very nearly upon us, it’s time to break out the cold foods like kakigori, Garigari-kun, and, of course, ice cream. Even now, as we struggle through the rainy season and moisture hangs in the air, there’s little in this world as wonderful a giant bowl of strawberry ice cream.
If you’re in Tokyo like we are, there are plenty of places and reasons for gobbling up a chilly bowl of sweet ice cream–and the same is certainly true for the Philippines as well. However, while Tokyo may have some of the best restaurants in the world, Davao City in the Philippines has something Tokyo does not–crocodile ice cream. Don’t worry, though–it won’t bite back!
- Krista Rogers
Jun 12, 2014
Singing that kimchi is delicious but that she prefers her familiar cendol (a traditional dessert) and keropok (shrimp crackers), 17-year-old Joyce Chu (also known as 四葉草) from Johor Bahru, Malaysia has become quite the YouTube sensation. It’s now approaching three weeks since her song and video Malaysia Chabor (“Malaysian Girl”) about her experiences being mistaken for a Korean in her home country was first published on YouTube, and since then the video has racked up 3.9 million views and counting.
With her good looks and sweet voice, it was inevitable that Joyce would pick up a few admirers after her sudden rise to fame. One man in particular seems to be quite smitten with her, and even went so far as to create his own original response video to her song.
Who is this mysterious admirer? Keep reading to find out more and watch his video for yourself!
- Master Blaster
Jun 11, 2014
Since the end of May a special investigative team was dispatched to Oenunto Village in Indonesia at the request of the Chief Medical Officer of nearby Kupang City. Their mission was to figure out what really happened after hearing about a woman who gave birth to her third child: a healthy, bouncing baby gecko.
We may no longer have mustachioed merchants trying to sell us snake oil from atop wagons in front of the town saloon, but thanks to the internet there are plenty of miracle cures out there to be sucked in by, particularly when they play on our insecurities. And when that insecurity happens to relate the size of a man’s love muscle, you can bet that even more men than usual are willing to give possible wonder treatments a try.
We’re not usually bad people, but if we had an especially gullible friend who told us that they were looking for a way to increase their membership in the underwear department, this would probably be the joke we’d play on him…
Thai food is fantastic; the flavors of sweet and spicy excite the taste buds like little else. But in a country as diverse as Thailand, how do you know which restaurant to visit? There are so many local eateries, how can you decide which one will be the best? Well, RocketNews24 has a recommendation for you, and it doesn’t matter what part of Thailand you are in, you will probably be able to find it.
The restaurant we recommend for you to try some authentic Thai food is…McDonald’s!
- Scott R Dixon
Jun 9, 2014
With four national languages, a multicultural population and its infamous chewing gum ban, Singapore is one fascinating country. Singapore is a major financial hub and its airport makes it an easy flight from almost anywhere in the world. And recently we found 10 lesser-known facts about the Southeast Asian island nation that can make up for even the most embarrassing tourism campaign mistake. Click below to find out where Singapore got its name, what’s up with their time zone and why some people love hugging vending machines there!
- Master Blaster
Jun 5, 2014
You have to hand it to Coca-Cola. Despite being the best-selling cola brand and one of the biggest companies in the world, they certainly don’t seem to rest on their laurels. Like a hungry up-and-coming business, they’re always coming up with new gimmicks in each of the 200 countries they operate in, whether it be personalized bottles in Japan or, like now in Vietnam, a set of functional caps which can transform your empty bottle into a water gun, pencil sharpener, night lights and more after you’re finished with it.
- Joan Coello
Jun 2, 2014
Malaysia, like many southeast asian countries, is a melting pot of people of different ethnicities and religions. Of course, there are more and more people working and studying overseas nowadays, so you might think that every other country is in the same situation, but you’ll know you’re in a seriously multinational city when almost every new person you meet asks you “are you local?” (my personal experience as a Singaporean).
To that sort of question, 17-year-old Malaysian YouTuber Joyce Chu proudly answers with her song Malaysia Chabor (chabor means “woman” in the Hokkien dialect), which has garnered over 1.6 million views in slightly more than a week!
Almost one-third of the world’s land mass – and 60 percent of its population – is in Asia. It’s no wonder the planet’s largest continent is home to almost unimaginable variety and wonder. And what better way to celebrate that diversity and brilliance than with an irreverent collection of wacky photos from the internet!
We start our photographic journey in Japan: birthplace of modern video gaming, the CD player, and the ring-pull on your beer can. Sit back and relax, as we bring you 35 ways to tell if you’re in Asia.
May 29, 2014
A tennis coach in Tainan banned his students from dating. Anyone who broke the rule was forced to have an elephant drawn on their privates.
We knew Attack on Titan was crazy popular with an incredible 36 million volumes in circulation and a huge fanbase that stretches from Japan to the English-speaking world and beyond, it’s also been translated for audiences in Korea and China (Taiwan). Next year things will reach new heights with a full length live-action film starring Haruma Miura in the leading role.
When we saw these photos apparently showing a Titan from the series taking part in a demo in Hong Kong, we just had to find out more. “The Red Giant” is a piece of protest art made by Hong Kong based artist Kacey Wong, and pictures from the demo have been doing the rounds on Japanese online message boards this week. At once among the crowd and separate from it, the looming bright red figure is a powerful symbol of what Wong sees as the threat posed to Hong Kong by mainland China’s rapid growth as an economic superpower.
Elegant kimono, cascading wisteria blossoms and the stunning scenery of Kyushu, Japan’s most southwesterly island. If this sounds like an archetypal scene from the land of the rising sun, you’d be half right – new drama ‘Kol Kimono’, which hits TV screens in December, is definitely set in Japan. But you won’t find it broadcast there just yet – only in Thailand!
In Thailand, interest in Japanese culture is at an all-time high. Thanks in part to relaxed visa regulations, the number of Thai visitors to Japan has doubled in the last three years. The new primetime drama, which started filming on location in Kyushu last week, also stars Thongchai “Bird” McIntyre, one of Thailand’s biggest names, in his first leading role in 17 years.
- Cara Clegg
May 21, 2014
For many people around the world, it’s an automatic reaction to buckle up whenever you get into a vehicle. However there are still many countries where, despite having the laws in place, there isn’t much of an awareness of the tragic consequences failing to strap yourself in can have…that’s where Taylor Swift comes in.
- Joan Coello
May 21, 2014
Do you find it slightly disappointing that after all these years, Disney has never made a live-action film featuring the much adored Disney Princesses? I certainly do.
Well, as common nobodies we might not have the ability to start a production for live-action Disney Princess movies, but there is something we all have – our imaginations! Indonesian graphic designer Thomas Kurniawan combined his imagination with some nifty photo-manipulation skills to create these convincing live-action Disney Princess “movie posters”! Check them out!
From May 27 you will apparently be able to eat ‘the most delicious food in the world’ at family restaurant chain Denny’s! Are they just blowing their own horn here? Well, not exactly.
- BUSINESS INSIDER
May 2, 2014
Malaysian officials have released a preliminary report about the Flight 370 disappearance that says the official rescue operation didn’t start until four hours after the plane vanished from radar.
CNN reports that Malaysian officials also noted it took 17 minutes for anyone to notice that the plane had gone off the radar.
The gist of the report — officials are still far from finding the missing plane.
- KK Miller
Apr 29, 2014
Bad weather holidays were the greatest reason for not going to school. Sometimes, though, the severe weather isn’t quite enough to force a closure. The wind isn’t quite strong enough or the rain or snow isn’t dangerous enough. So, if the school says classes are on, you do what you can to get there. A city in Vietnam has “schooled” everyone with the incredible lengths they will go to get students to their classroom.
Apr 25, 2014
Did you know that a king cobra has venom powerful enough to bring down an elephant? Were you aware that snake anti-venom is produced by injecting venom into horses? How about about that snakes have two penises, called hemipenes, that they alternate?
You can learn all these crazy serpent facts and more at Bangkok’s Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute and Snake Farm, as well as take in a snake handling show, a venom extraction demonstration, and check out about 40 different species of snakes endemic to Thailand.
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race1
- The amazing cosplayers of (the first two days of) Comic-Con 20142
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’3
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today4
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen5
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker6
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!7
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced8
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray9
- Bandai Japan unveils bizarre new turtle launcher capsule toys, curiously epic promo video10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Father posts six-year-old daughter’s anime character drawings online, net users not convinced
- Gigantic aquatic insect found in China has record-setting wingspan, possibly anal spray
- Bandai Japan unveils bizarre new turtle launcher capsule toys, curiously epic promo video
- Game dev berates gaming media on its “junior high school” analysis of PS4′s performance in Japan
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Looking for a unique job environment? This could be as unique (and isolated) as it gets in Japan!
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】