When I first heard the name, I envisioned an actual museum with exhibits on the history of the feline race, along with a gift shop filled with adorable cat-inspired merchandise. However, the Cat Museum in Singapore, it turns out, is supposedly a non-profit organization. According to their official website, it’s “a mission with the message that every home or small office deserves a cat… or two!” Yeah, sure, I’d love a cat or two in my office!
On 1 February, 2015 the often contentious relations between Asian countries were further inflamed when a woman of uncertain nationality spread out her pink bra and black panties to dry on the back of a bench in the lobby of Chiang Mai International Airport in Thailand.
Feb 3, 2015
We normally don’t think of ourselves as a shallow bunch here at RocketNews24–not when we have such potentially life-altering news to report as the latest Sailor Moon-themed merchandise or the newest collection of cute cat photos to come out of Japan.
But occasionally there are those days when a little eye-candy does wonders to brighten up our wonderful readers’ days. For instance–anyone care to see photos of a hot Thai model/moto-taxi driver dude?
Jan 28, 2015
KFC launched its Double Down menu item in 2010, and after it sunk in that the fast food chain was serious about making a bacon and cheese sandwich with two pieces of fried chicken substituting for the bread, reactions were split between horrified and hungry. All agreed though that the decadent offering was in no way to be mistaken for a healthy dining option, and many commentators declared it the sort of thing that could only have been birthed in response to the extra-gluttonous fast food culture of the U.S.
Except it turns out that Americans aren’t the only ones who occasionally like to go crazy and stuff themselves with as much KFC-cooked meat as their mouths and stomachs can hold. The Double Down was also a sales success in Korea, and this week, KFC launched an evolved version in the Philippines called the Double Down Dog.
Jan 28, 2015
This one goes out to all our readers in the Philippines–Charice is back, and she’s telling everyone to “Let it Go!”
We haven’t heard much about Charice for about a year, so it was a pleasant surprise to see the talented singer belting out the iconic song from Disney’s Frozen in a short YouTube karaoke clip. Also, we love that short new-ish ‘do she’s sporting!
Jan 27, 2015
While Islam is practiced worldwide, many of us tend to only think of the Muslims in the Middle East, looking past those in Southeast Asia. However, with over 87% of its people identifying as Muslim, Indonesia actually has the largest population of Muslims in the world.
The young adult Muslim culture in Indonesia is not that much different from youth culture anywhere else in the world these days: everyone has smartphones and, like them or not, selfies are the norm. A previously celebrated young Muslim cleric, however, has recently proclaimed that the act of taking a selfie is a sin – a claim which many young Muslims in Indonesia have taken great offense to.
How did they respond to the condemnation of their smartphone snaps? By taking even more selfies than ever before.
Sixteen-year-old Yap Hanzhen of Malaysia apparently suffered through a childhood in which even the most simple of communications was difficult. Hanzhen’s parents say he barely spoke through most of his adolescence.
Like many children who display difficulties communicating during early development, Yap turned out to have a form of autism – a fact that his parents struggled to convince doctors and child psychologists, who were apparently quick to presume simple bad parenting as the source of young Yap’s speech difficulties.
In taking the special needs care of their young son into their own hands, Yap’s parents gave him a sketch book and pencil to help him associate thumbnail drawings with words for everyday objects, inadvertently nurturing a latent talent that would eventually see Yap touring the world, showing off his extraordinary drawings.
Jan 24, 2015
KFC Malaysia has launched an investigation after a fist-fight broke out between employees in a branch of the restaurant in Kuala Lumpur. The fight, which happened directly in front of customers, was captured on camera and uploaded Facebook, where it has been shared and viewed thousands of times.
A video of the punch-up, which appears to show one member of staff verbally abusing another before a third employee dives in with a flying kick, was uploaded on January 17. KFC Malaysia was surprisingly quick to respond.
Jan 19, 2015
With all of the advanced technology intelligence agencies can employ, plus the fact that so much information is now stored digitally, it’s easy to make the assumption that modern espionage is all hacking and drone surveillance. In fact, though, there’s still plenty of room in the spy game for carbon-based operatives working in the field.
As such, it’s the responsibility of militaries and police forces the world over to be on guard against organic espionage threats. So while you can admire the diligence and zeal shown by a group of citizens and police in Vietnam who captured and detained what they thought was a ring of 16 Chinese spies, the suspects turned out to be innocent.
They also happen to be pigeons.
Jan 17, 2015
“How is your cosplay so perfect…?” “How did you escape from the movie screen?!” “Are you ACTUALLY Hiro?”
For Filipino artist and self-confessed “cosplay dork” Jin, questions like these are a regular occurrence. Already an internationally recognised cosplayer, when promo images for Big Hero 6 were released last year, Jin began to get messages from fans pointing out an uncanny resemblance to the film’s central protagonist Hiro Hamada. Which is pretty interesting, seeing Big Hero 6 is a Disney movie and Hiro is, of course, computer-animated.
Intrigued, Jin tried it out – and has been cosplaying Hiro ever since. Fast-forward a few months and Jin and friends continue to produce incredibly realistic, beautifully produced photos of cosplayed Big Hero 6 scenes. Join us after the jump as we take a look!
Needing some cuteness in your day? Well do we have just the thing for you! Meet hamsters Enoki and Bunapi from Singapore as they invite you into their home and go about their day, chilling in front of the TV, eating apple pies, taking a bath… you know, just normal hamster things.
Scott R Dixon
Jan 13, 2015
Taking up cosplay as a hobby takes a pretty significant time commitment to put together that perfect costume to dress up as your favorite video game, comic book or movie character. And for those of us without the, ahem, natural assets to boost our cosplay game, buying all those wigs, fashion accessories and snowman apparel can make the hobby an extremely expensive way to spend your free time.
However, this innovative cosplay enthusiast from Thailand doesn’t let his limited budget get in the way of making some creative, and frankly, kind of creepy costumes. We’ve spotted him before, but click below to see his latest creative, if not incredibly cheap, take on Dragonball Z, the Teletubbies, Taylor Swift and much more.
I’ll be completely honest with you here–I don’t know much of anything about soccer. I hate to fit the dumb American stereotype, but when it comes to sports, soccer is one that I definitely never got into.
I have nothing against it, of course! Partly, it’s just exhausting watching the ball bounce back and forth between players, changing directions like a whip. But on the other hand, I have to admit that it’s easy to see why some call it a “beautiful” game, and this video of a Thailand soccer team ably slipping through a Malaysian team’s defenses is nothing less than amazing.
Remember those days in school when you just couldn’t focus on your school work, so instead of taking notes you doodled all over your papers? You’re not alone. Students all over the world scribble on their school supplies, much to the teachers’ dismay. Armed with a red pen, one teacher in Thailand has decided to fight back.
Jan 7, 2015
New Year’s Eve is done and now long gone. We’ve pretty much wrapped up our coverage of the best and worst fukubukuro in Japan, so you may be ready to move on to Valentine’s Day, but we have one more piece of awesomeness left over from December 31, 2014: explosions!
While there were plenty of great fireworks displays around the world, we think this video of the Philippines’ Manila going crazy might be the best of the year. Check out below!
Dec 29, 2014
At first, we were more than a little confused by Min Chen‘s Instagram feed. This is a girl who got over 14,000 likes on a “Merry Christmas” snapshot, and we don’t even know anything about her. She’s not even famous per se, yet she has 117,000 followers and counting. There must be something that sets her apart from the rest. But what could it be…?
We put our thinking caps on, took a good long hard look at the photos, and – BOOM. That’s when we realised Malaysian beauty Min Chen totally has a niche thing going on. She is a girl who holds things.
Dec 20, 2014
Armed police stormed New Bilibid Prison, the Philippines’ largest penitentiary, earlier this week after it was reported that inmates were living lives of debauchery despite being incarcerated for their respective crimes. Many of prisoners were found to be in possession of numerous luxury items and living in private “villas”, with police even uncovering a room built especially for strippers to perform.
Dec 19, 2014
One of the most envied perks of being famous has to be international travel. So while we’re sure being a model is just as hard work – if not more so – than heaps of other jobs, we can imagine that opportunities to escape the recent cold weather in Japan and jet off to warmer climes goes some way to make up for it.
So forgive us for being more than a little jealous of these pics from Kayo Police’s trip to Singapore. Sure, posing for pictures is work. But she also got to go to Universal Studios and go to a bubble spa. Merry Christmas!
As you’re probably well aware, we at RocketNews24 strive to tackle only the most serious issues of the day. Whether we’re breaking down the complexities of the TPP and its effects on soy bean subsidies, or providing in-depth analysis on how modern Japanese silk arts have deviated from their traditional routes, we never stop thinking about important matters. Even though we cover these topics with deadly seriousness, however, we have been known to let our hair down once a year or so.
With that in mind, today we’d like to bring you a collection of photos which pretty much no point or underlying theme aside from the fact they all come out of Asia and are really weird. Don’t worry though, we’ll be back to our usual coverage of tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests of Japan soon enough. For now just sit back and enjoy these little pieces of Novocaine for the mind.
Dec 12, 2014
With the Naruto manga all wrapped up, we imagine a lot of fans are feeling sort of lonely. Sure, there’s an animated movie coming up, and you can still catch episodes of the weekly anime series, but with no more issues of the comic to look forward to, it must seem like the series’ cast of charismatic ninja have drifted just a little farther away.
Soon enough, though, Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura will be just a few rows of seats away from their adoring public, as the Naruto stage play is set to open this spring, and producers have just announced the cast and released the first shot in-costume photo of the star of the show.
- What if Elsa was from some other country? 24 Hetalia variations of the Frozen queen1
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map2
- Naruto’s not over yet with new manga chapters, anime series coming soon!3
- Past and present photos of Japanese fashion models make us wonder, where have all the gyaru gone?4
- Monjayaki, the popular Tokyo dish you’ve probably never heard of 【RocketKitchen】5
- Top 10 things Japanese people do that puzzle us (but we still want to hang out together)6
- South Korean media wants the world to know that “cherry blossoms originated there”7
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker8
- Superheroes invade Thai wedding, guests just smile for the camera 【Photos】9
- Gift giving fails: Japanese girls tell you what NOT to buy10
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map1
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】4
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”5
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl6
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them7
- 10 weird and wonderful things you can find in a Japanese drugstore8
- Past and present photos of Japanese fashion models make us wonder, where have all the gyaru gone?9
- Bizarre video series gives pervy weirdos a glimpse of girls’ panties in very specific situations10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines4
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】5
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?6
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20157
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map6
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】9
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】10
- Top 10 things Japanese people do that puzzle us (but we still want to hang out together)
- South Korean media wants the world to know that “cherry blossoms originated there”
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Superheroes invade Thai wedding, guests just smile for the camera 【Photos】
- Gift giving fails: Japanese girls tell you what NOT to buy
- New Sailor Moon cafe in Tokyo has live public anime viewing and themed food and drinks
- Nine of our Japanese writers share the restaurants they absolutely must visit again!
- 10 weird and wonderful things you can find in a Japanese drugstore
- Doting cat owner buys his kitties a present, finds out all they want is the box it came in
- We sample blue Drift Ice Curry from the India of the Okhotsk Sea
- 93-year-old Japanese woman gifts ambulance worth 2.7 million yen to local fire station
- KanColle anime character’s catchphrase “poi” is POIsed to take over the world! POI POI!
- Even adult men are snapping up girls’ comic magazine’s new issue, and for an unexpected reason