It’s December. It’s that time of the year again. Shop windows are decorated with Christmas trees and signs inviting you to spend more money; Candy canes and Santa Clauses and reindeer seem to be popping up everywhere you go. At the airport in Manila, Philippines, the sultry weather doesn’t seem to have the same holiday magic other wintry places do. However, a flash mob brought the Christmas spirit back to surprised passengers at the terminal and warmed our hearts, too.
Dec 2, 2014
Who you gonna call…? Frederik Kriekenbeek! No, that’s not the Cebuano word for “Ghostbuster,” it’s the name of the local priest who specializes in exorcisms in Cebu, Philipines.
What seems like a case of ghostly possession has struck the idyllic Filipino island when, on November 21, 14 students fainted when they were “possessed” by a ghost. Never fear though, this does seem to happen every once in a while; that’s why they have a local priest who specializes in exorcisms. He really is, who they call.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Dec 2, 2014
Thailand has always been known for its extremely terrifying repertoire of horror movies. However, the tropical nation’s taste for horror appears to extend into their manga culture as well. A sample of their convenience store comic book selection are so packed with grotesque images that we wonder whether kids who see them on the shelves don’t have nightmares.
Nov 19, 2014
Recently, we’ve been bringing you updates on controversial pick-up artist and dating coach Julien Blanc who has attracted anger around the world for purportedly purveying aggressive attitudes towards women. After a video was posted online of him appearing to harass women in Japan by pushing their heads towards his crotch, several campaigns were set up against him by activists in America, Australia, Britain, and Japan. These campaigns have so far been successful in helping to raise awareness of the “pick-up seminars” hosted by Blanc through his company RSD (Real Social Dynamics). Now, Blanc has broken his silence to offer an apology to those he has offended, which campaigners have rejected for its seemingly disingenuous nature.
Nov 18, 2014
One of the things kids most enjoy about going to Disneyland is getting to meet the characters up close and personal, and they love seeing their favourites on TV too. But something about the characters on this Vietnamese children’s show are a little…off. This bizarre TV show features a lawsuit waiting to happen, canned children’s cheers, and characters that will haunt your dreams.
Nov 14, 2014
About a month after I moved to Japan in college, my hair was getting pretty shaggy, so I asked my host dad where I could get a trim. The place he took me to was an old-school barbershop, and I remember being surprised when instead of using electric clippers on the back of my neck, the barber used a straight razor.
Still, that wasn’t nearly as big as the shock some customers get when they walk into this hairdresser’s in Vietnam and see the stylist slicing people’s hair with a Japanese sword.
Earlier this year we introduced you to “virgin boy eggs,” eggs twice-boiled in little boys’ urine. As it is a Chinese dish, we’re not sure if these delicacies are enjoyed on the islands of Indonesia – but don’t worry, they don’t need “virgin boy eggs” there, they get theirs from the other side of the spectrum.
Today, I introduce you to “old man eggs,” chicken eggs which are “laid” by a 62-year-old Indonesian man.
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Nov 6, 2014
The worldwide popularity of Japanese anime has certainly served as inspiration for many who aspire to be illustrators or animators in the future. The rise of anime has also influenced big names in good old American animation industry, such as Disney and Cartoon Network. In fact, Cartoon Network Asia will debut an Australian-made anime production in December, titled “Exchange Student Zero“.
The only problem is, they seem to have taken the idea of ‘exchange student’ a little too literally…
Nov 5, 2014
Sisters Elle and Jess Yamada from Indonesia do everything together, and that includes making a name for themselves on the fashion blogosphere. The lovely ladies are in their early twenties and have a combined total of nearly 250,000 Instagram followers, write for their popular blog on their website, and run a clothing line called Gowigasa. They’re also apparently really awesome at hulahooping, and won their high school’s hula hoop competition.
But we know what you really want is to get a good look at these two beauties, so read on to find a selection of photos after the cut.
Nov 3, 2014
In many ways, Miss International Queen is just like any other pageant: finalists parade in evening gowns, swimsuits and national dress, and the winner will perform twelve months of promotional and charity duties. There’s one major difference, though: all the contestants are transgender women, and the top prize includes cosmetic surgery for the winner – if she wants it.
As the world’s largest transgender pageant hits the stage in Thailand (where else!) for its 10th anniversary year, we take a look at this unique contest.
So we might be a little late to the party on this one – on account of being at other parties that involved a lot of drinking – but we’re still taken with the Halloween spirit, and it looks like Thailand is too, because we managed to scrounge up a bunch of spooky, possibly “haunted” photos from the area recently.
Oct 31, 2014
One thing we can probably all agree on is that cockroaches are gross and disgusting. They stink, they fly at your face and they can make you sick. They must be exterminated, but not everybody enjoys breathing in the noxious fumes from aggressive sprays, nor do they enjoy handling toxic poisons. So what’s left? Drown the suckers? They can survive in water for around 30 minutes. Suffocate them? They can live without air for 45 minutes. Chops their heads off? They’ll just keep on scurrying. Luckily, a high school girl in Thailand has come up with an all-natural non-violent method of disposing of the icky invaders. All you’ll need is flour, cement powder, and… malted milk powder?
Oct 27, 2014
Perceptions of beauty pageants in modern society have definitely changed since the 1960s. While we’re sure that there are plenty of varying opinions out there regarding beauty pageants’ place in modern society, we can certainly get behind the idea that there’s more to a person than how physically attractive they are. That said, we’re sure that for winners of the pageants, like Apasra Hongsakula here, who was 18 when she won Miss Universe in 1965, the shows are source of tremendous pride and happiness.
But winning an international beauty contest isn’t the only thing that separates Apasra from the rest of us ugly shmoes–if recent photos are any indication, she’s been practically reliving her glory days for the last 47 years, since the 1965 Miss Universe still looks like Miss Universe today even at the age of 67!
Hayashi 'Fang' Hougi
Oct 26, 2014
Once upon a time in Bangkok, there was a magical moving emporium that only opened its doors to a lucky few. Inside, those who were permitted to enter could feast on every kind of sweet treat imaginable, and when they stepped out of this cave of wonders, they found themselves in a completely different place.
You might think this to be a fairy tale or the stuff of urban legend, but Thai native Kittiphun Khongawatkiat was lucky enough to chance upon this amazing taxi filled to the brim with snacks and candies and took some snaps to prove its existence.
Oct 21, 2014
Do you remember when you were a little kid and you used a magnifying glass to look at bugs and leaves? Do you remember when you realized that if you caught the sunlight in the magnifying glass in just the right way you could set the bugs and leaves on fire?
Austronesian artist Jordan Mang-osan (not to be confused with Mango-san) is also using the sun to burn things at this home in the Philippines, but instead of frying bugs, he’s creating massive works of art.
Oct 20, 2014
Meet Jaemy Choong, a graphic designer and co-founder of Kickatomic Creatives, a ‘graphic lab’ based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Their incredibly clever designs have been used in logos, prints, corporate identities, and even for Malaysian TV channels.
Discovered by Bored Panda last week, Jaemy C.’s currently ongoing project involves cleverly manipulating postcard-sized movie posters so that they blend in seamlessly with background people, objects, and even a cooked chicken! Join us after the jump for some visually fun movie mash-ups.
Oct 16, 2014
Asia is full of wonderful travel destinations. With a mix of rich history and rapid development, it’s far from a boring place to visit. However, the burning question on any traveler’s mind has got to be “Where can I see the greatest toilets of Asia?”
Well, that’s a subjective title but we’d like to submit a shopping center in Thailand’s capital Bangkok as a contender. The huge complex is called Terminal 21 and boasts over six floors of shops and eateries. There’s a lot of fun to be had here but the main attraction has got to be the internationally themed restrooms.
It looks like Japanese girls can’t get enough of schoolgirl uniforms these days. Once loathed by their wearers as stuffy, boring and a symbol of conformity (pretty much kryptonite to teenagers), Japanese girls have – over the last few decades – come to embrace the schoolgirl uniform as a sexy, fashionable and customizable wardrobe choice in and out of the classroom.
The problem, though: It looks like it isn’t Japanese schoolgirl uniforms that girls really want nowadays. What they really want are Thai schoolgirl uniforms.
Oct 12, 2014
We’ve demonstrated the power of makeup before, so it’s fair to say that we’re believers in its mystical ability to transform wearers. That said not every makeup experiment will work perfectly–or at all–but we do still enjoy seeing the attempts. While it can be used to help people change their appearance almost entirely, makeup can only stretch reality so far. But just what are the limits?
Well, if you’re Paolo Ballesteros, an actor and comedian popular in the Philippines, not many! Check out his numerous transformations into popular female celebrities using only makeup, wigs, and contact lenses below and see what can be done with some well-placed blush.
- Make your instant coffee 10 times yummier with this one simple trick1
- Disney’s Baymax appears in curry, hot pots, and more, thanks to cheesy food-based pun【Photos】2
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”3
- “Underwater Knee-High Girls” goes to Taiwan! Exhibition including new “Yuri” photos to be held4
- Pervy anime character mouse pads…butt for ladies! 【Photos】5
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time6
- The internet can’t figure out why the snow melted in this pattern – Can you?7
- Tuna born from mackerel: Japanese scientists develop surrogate tech to save threatened species8
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】9
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?10
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough1
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”2
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out3
- Japanese opera singer records an incredible cover of Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody”4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Ninja-cats are hiding in homes around the world and we have 20 photos to prove it6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck8
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public9
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises8
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make9
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message10
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- The internet can’t figure out why the snow melted in this pattern – Can you?
- Tuna born from mackerel: Japanese scientists develop surrogate tech to save threatened species
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- Could this teen’s simple but genius idea help put an end to cyber bullying?
- Blast your own Kamehameha at the “Let’s fire a Kamehamaha Martial Arts Tournament” event!
- Team aims to pierce moon with Evangelion’s Spear of Longinus
- New garlic cola from Japan’s garlic capital is as surprising as its name proclaims
- Around Japan in 47 rice balls: Mr. Sato buys each prefecture’s musubi all from one Tokyo shop
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- World’s First Snaggletooth Girl Group
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker