Osamu Tezuka‘s Astro Boy, in addition to being a historically important piece of entertainment, is also widely beloved around the world. And now, some sixty-plus years after its first inception as a manga, it’s been granted additional life on the stage, thanks to the efforts of playwright and director Natsu Onoda Power, and the folks at the Company One theater company.
Jul 29, 2014
Pokémon fans recently got some good news when word came that Pikachu will soon be taking over the city of Yokohama. It’s not just cute and cuddly anime icons running rampant in Japan this summer, though.
Next month, Lawson convenience stores across Japan are going to be invaded by the remorseless and/or skinless cast of Attack on Titan, and they’re bringing a staggering amount of merchandise with them..
Jul 29, 2014
I personally enjoy having meals with friends and family most of the time, as I think that it’s a great way to catch up face-to-face, especially in this modern era where a large portion of our daily communication relies on instant messaging and emails. Even then, there are times when I prefer to eat alone, and times when I have no choice but to.
I’m pretty sure most of us have eaten a meal alone at some point in our lives. The question is, how hardcore a lone diner are you? Korean net users came up with a nine-level lone diner guide introducing the different levels of dining loneliness. How well can you tolerate solo dining? Gauge yourself after the break!
Jul 29, 2014
When we introduced you to the Wagakki Band last year, we were pretty sure they might end up being a big deal. And, as it turned out, we were definitely right about that! After releasing a full album to rave reviews earlier this year, the band has been on the road touring both in Japan and at the Japan Expo in Paris. But despite their busy schedule of rehearsing and performing, they’ve had time to work on a new, original song. While they haven’t released a full video yet (you’ll have to wait a few more weeks), you can check out the short version below!
Jul 29, 2014
Back in March, we took a look at a list of days when Tokyo Disneyland could be expected to be the least crowded. Most of these predictions were based on avoiding peak travel times, vacation periods, and three-day weekends, but one day last week Tokyo Disneyland was practically deserted.
This came as kind of a shock, since Japan is right in the middle of summer vacation, but ironically, that was part of the reason so few people showed up, giving those who did almost free rein of the park.
Jul 29, 2014
What would it take for you to jump in to save the day? How bad must the odds be before you would try to put a stop to a decidedly lop-sided fight? If someone is on the ground not fighting back, isn’t it pretty clear someone should be helping?
In this video, a Chinese man shows that he’s not going to take it and leaps into action – and we mean leaps – to help a girl being beaten by a mob of five women.
As you might expect, this video is NSFW and contains scenes of violence.
So it’s the 30th anniversary of the Transformers, the 20th anniversary of the original PlayStation, and TakaraTomy Arts is the bolder, crazier cousin of the legendary Japanese toymaker TakaraTomy (who distribute Transformer toys in Japan).
What do these three things have in common? Well, TakaraTomy Arts apparently saw that the venerable console and the adored-before-a-certain-Hollywood-filmmaker-destroyed-it cartoon robot franchise were both celebrating a milestone and decided to commemorate it the only logical way: By combining the two into a new badass toy.
Every summer, there are certain pests you can expect the country to become briefly inundated with. First come the mosquitos that lay their eggs in the puddles of water that form during the rainy season. Next up, the whining cicadas that serve as an aural reminder of midsummer, whether you want one or not. And last, the jellyfish, buzzkills of the animal kingdom who show up at the beach and deliver their joyless message of “Everyone out of the water!” by stinging swimmers.
But this year, there’s finally some good news, as the city of Yokohama is about to be overrun by Pikachus!
In case no one’s mentioned it yet, Tokyo is getting a bit warm this year. In fact, the other day my phone told me that despite what the thermometer said, the temperature felt like 44 Celsius–or 111.2 Fahrenheit. Even that seemed a bit low to me, but either way, I clearly should be living inside the refrigerator. And from the looks of things, there are a few cats who’d like to join us. Though I’m not so sure I want them in there with me, since they might just be…ghosts?!
One of the most popular ways to cool yourself off during a muggy Japanese summer is with a bowl of shaved ice, known as kakigoori. However, not everyone has the sweet tooth or enduring connection to their inner child that’s necessary to enjoy the brightly colored, syrupy sweet frozen treat that’s usually flavored like strawberry, melon, or lemon.
Thankfully, if you’re looking for a chilled dessert that’s a little more adult, a restaurant in Kyoto has just the thing: shaved ice with whiskey.
According to Japanese scientists, Japan might be in for another big one.
Dr. Masaaki Kimura, a seismologist who reportedly predicted the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake, recently appeared on Japanese TV to share his theory about the next major earthquake to strike Japan. Based on his estimates, the quake will occur by 2017 and will be of similar magnitude to 2011’s. Similarly, astronomer Yoshio Kushida continues to insist that a big quake is not too far away. Keep reading to find out more about their respective theories and which specific areas of Japan they’ve got on the radar.
Jul 29, 2014
Now, we know that not all technology may be good, and there are plenty of stories out there, be they movies or novels, of technology run amok. But you have to admit there are times when you just have to love technology, like when it comes in a cute, pop form that allows you to carry around large amounts of data in style. Yes, readers,we present to you these adorable Mimobot and Sanrio collaborative flash drives from Mimoco — they’re currently generating a bit of a buzz on online here in Japan, and we dare anyone out there to say that the results of the collaboration aren’t über cute!
Jul 28, 2014
That old Internet meme about stupid business plans that goes something like, “1) _____, 2) ???, 3) Profit!” can now apparently be applied to dumb revenge schemes, as a Vietnamese man, who, after becoming so incredibly furious at his wife that he simply had to do something to get revenge, put together this brilliant scheme: 1) cut off own penis, 2) ???, 3) SATISFACTION!!!!
Jul 28, 2014
Ryokan are traditional Japanese hotels whose roots can be traced back to the Edo Period (1603–1868). Although nowhere near as ubiquitous as they once were, there still exist thousands of such establishments, which are most often associated with relaxation, hot spas and, of course, good Japanese food and drink. Even those who would ordinarily choose a bed over a futon would be wise to experience staying at a ryokan at least once during a visit to Japan, but there are a number of dos and don’ts that visitors – both Japanese and otherwise – really ought to know before setting foot inside one.
Trip Advisor Japan has helpfully published a list of tips, designed to look like set of cards teaching the characters from the Japanese syllabary, which instructs visitors on the right way to enjoy a Japanese inn. Some are as obvious as telling guests not to take stuff home with them, but there are others that really ought to be given your full attention.
Jul 28, 2014
One of the things that contributes to the hole-in-the-wallet situation many manga and anime fans experience is related merchandise. Along with official merch, fan-made doujinshi and goods are sometimes just as attractive, not to mention rare since these self-made goods are usually produced in much smaller quantities.
For fujoshi (girls who are fans of Boys Love, or homoerotic manga and anime), doujinshi and doujin goods are even more tempting since it is only in these fan-made commodities that they can enjoy the forbidden fruit that is their favorite male characters being paired together. For non-BL fans, however, this is where things tend to get a little awkward. We’re not just talking about male-on-male action here, we’re talking male boob mousepads. See for yourselves after the jump!
Jul 28, 2014
Our Japanese correspondent Yoshio recently made the trip for Tokyo to San Diego to attend Comic-Con for the first time. After seeing all the fans in costume showing their enthusiasm for their favorite series, Yoshio got bitten by the cosplay bug and decided to dress up too.
But which character to cosplay as? He knew he wanted someone Japanese, to represent his home country. Someone strong and just, with a kind heart. And while he was at it, why not add long, flowing hair and miniskirt to the checklist?
In other words, Yoshio spent a day at Comic-Con rocking a Sailor Venus outfit.
Scott R Dixon
Jul 28, 2014
More than three years after the earthquake and tsunami devastated northeast Japan and left a major nuclear plant in Fukushima paralyzed, efforts to contain the nuclear disaster are still facing major hurdles as the area around it remains a ghost town. Last week, Tokyo Electric Power Co., better known as TEPCO, revealed that an ice wall that was designed to stem the flow of radioactive water seeping from the crippled reactors at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant isn’t freezing as fast as they hoped.
In the three months since construction began, temperatures in the ground around the barrier meant to contain the contaminated water in underground trenches have only fallen to around 15 degrees (59 degrees Fahrenheit) and TEPCO announced a new plan to accelerate the freezing process—dumping 10 tons of ice every day until the wall forms.
Jul 28, 2014
How far would you go to save your cell phone?
In something out of a bizarre nightmare that the parent of a three-year-old learning to potty train might have, a Chinese woman who dropped her phone into a cesspool lost not only an electronic gadget, but her husband and mother-in-law as well. More details on this tragedy after the jump.
Jul 28, 2014
Since it first began on the PlayStation 2 in 2005, the violent action-adventure series Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku in Japan) has sold 6.5 million copies around the world. With a new edition of the series in the works, Sega is holding auditions for men who would like to appear in it.
Thinking this would be a great way to promote our humble website, we assembled a team of our manliest men to try out. It’s undoubtedly going to be tough, but to help increase our chances we sent each reporter to audition for a different character.
Jul 28, 2014
Police in Sasebo, Nagasaki Prefecture, said Sunday they have arrested a 16-year-old high school girl on suspicion of killing a classmate.
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu1
- New Evangelion short film now streaming on animation studio’s website2
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】3
- Latest evolution of Pokémon cafe to open in Shibuya this January4
- The top 10 Instagram photo locations for Japan in 2014 【Photos】5
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians6
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】7
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously8
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker9
- Pokemon fan’s heads exploding over guy’s classic Gameboy makeover video10
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Life imitates (Sword) Art (Online) as Japanese gamers find they can’t log out of online RPG3
- Character images of new Digimon Adventure series released, expected to air in spring 20154
- Artist magically transforms Sailor Moon characters into black women5
- Ready to tie the anime knot? Company offers marriage certificate for you and your 2D waifu6
- Japan’s cutest rodent commuters take the high-road【Video】7
- Our hero Ladybeard shows us and the world how to properly wear the much-talked about boob shirt8
- Too busy to wrap Christmas presents? Not if you’ve got 12 seconds, Japanese store shows【Video】9
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】10
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood1
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin2
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Japanese man proposes to girlfriend with Guinness World Record-winning GPS drawing5
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】8
- Hayao Miyazaki comments on Chihiro’s final test scene in Spirited Away9
- Fashion gone wrong? Boob shirts take Twitter by storm10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood5
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- Piccolo saves Christmas when he’s not saving Namekians
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】
- 11 never-ending hypnotic GIFs that just made a portion of our weekend disappear mysteriously
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker
- Pokemon fan’s heads exploding over guy’s classic Gameboy makeover video
- Love dolls, strippers, jacuzzis and drugs: The Philippines’ largest prison gets raided by police
- Japanese makeup artist does classic Hollywood glamour, recreates Audrey Hepburn’s coveted look
- One more time! Anime fans choose the series they’d most like to see rerun on TV
- The scariest snow sculpture you’ll see this winter
- Rock band KISS collaborating with Sailor Moon Crystal’s Momoiro Clover Z
- Don’t believe in the magic of the 100 yen store? This product will seal the deal!
- Self-healing glasses on sale next year
- Sick of BABYMETAL? How about some sumo metal!