In Japan, 2014 will be another “Horse Year” on the Japanese zodiac calendar. Last year, Japan celebrated the snake, which is said to bring wisdom and good monetary fortune to businesses. The horse, however, brings leadership, good business partnerships, and instant failure to all weight loss resolutions in the form of this adorable customized roll cake from Tokyo’s renowned Rihga Royal Hotel.
Kids and dogs are a lot alike in that doctor visits terrify them. Unlike kids, however, you can’t bribe dogs with after-doctor ice cream, so a lot of owners use the mostly foolproof trick of convincing their dog it’s walk time.
You can only pull that trick so many times, however, before the dog gets wise, which results in hilarious tug of war matches between pet and owner, as depicted in this adorable picture from a Japanese shiba owner.
- Blaine Harvey
Dec 20, 2013
As winter grows deeper and colder, the bed is one of our safe havens of warmth and comfort. The same can be said for our feline companions that snuggle into bed with us to seek refuge from the winter chill. As they cuddle up to our warm bodies the cats morph into various and interesting positions. Have you experienced the same with your own cat? Check out these adorable pictures and compare!
While dogs are also popular in Japan, many pet lovers here, perhaps due to the small size of homes, choose a cat for their animal companionship fix.
Although the gap between the number of pet cats and dogs isn’t particularly wide here, cats seem to hold a much stronger fascination for Internet users than their canine counterparts. The LOL Cats phenomenon may not have spread to Japan yet, but that doesn’t mean the country’s netizens aren’t constantly buzzing about their kitties, and today we share some of their feline talking points with you.
It appears that Turkey is one of the few parts of the world that gets so cold it’s not an exaggeration to say, “It’s freezing out here.”
The video below depicts some donkeys found in a small village that have cartoonishly frozen in place due to the extreme cold weather and snow – a phenomena we thought only possible in Christmas-time claymation films, and the closest thing we know of to the exact opposite of China’s hellish summer heatwave that caused cars to explode.
In the important world of Internet hierarchy, the battle between cats and dogs for the title of cutest animal is a fierce one. But someone must have told the dogs that they are losing because there are some canines out there with some inferiority issues so severe that they become frozen with fear at the mere sight of a cat. Japanese netizens are feeling nothing but pity after seeing a video of dogs, many of whom are much larger than their feline foe, timidly trying to tip-toe past a scowling cat.
- Philip Kendall
Dec 13, 2013
Perhaps we were wrong about cats being secret geniuses plotting to overthrow the world. This video, which is receiving a lot of attention in Japan today, suggests that there is at least one member of the feline federation that is perhaps a few strands short of a cat’s cradle.
When two-year-old Chai here spots a plastic bag on the floor of her owner’s apartment, she is naturally keen to investigate. Little does she know, though, that once she climbs inside it, the bag will simply refuse to let go…
- Philip Kendall
Dec 12, 2013
In one of the more bizarre news stories of the day – yes, even by RocketNews24 standards – a chicken in China’s Henan Province has recently shot to fame online after it was spotted sporting a fine set of curled feathers that make him look like he’s been out to get a perm to impress the ladies in the henhouse with.
As December 25 draws near and stores become more and more packed with people searching for the perfect gift, no one would blame you if you opted to do all of your shopping online. Honestly, there’s never been a better age for Internet shopping, and you can bypass going out in the cold by parking yourself on your sofa with a laptop and ordering just about anything you want or need while sipping from a hot mug of cocoa (or a cold bottle of beer, if you’re lucky enough to live someplace warm even at this time of year).
Yes, with just a few clicks you can have books, groceries, or even a new pet for the family delivered right to your home. The only question is, how do you package a puppy?
Back in school we learnt about the predator-prey system, the brutal but entirely natural way in which Mother Nature keeps things in balance. It’s a cruel world out there in the wild, but that’s just how it is.
But things don’t always go as planned, even for great Mother Nature. There are exceptions every once in a while, like this pair of miracle buddies, Gohan-chan the hamster and Ao-chan the snake, who seem to get along just fine.
It’s about time cats did something for us. We’ve pampered them on the Internet and in convenience stores for years, and all they ever did in return was learn how to poop in the litter box.
Cats are finally giving back now with these cute but somewhat disturbing smartphone stands that depict various cat breeds heroically holding up your smartphone so it won’t topple over.
Japan has a number of sleeping arrangements that can be jarring if you didn’t grow up here. Sleeping in a futon on the floor, often in a space that doubles as your living room and/or kitchen, can take some getting used to. A surprisingly large number of pillows sometimes come filled with, by Western standards, unusual things such as buckwheat husks.
But you know what? Maybe we’re being too picky. As Shiro the Cat shows us, all you really need for a good night’s sleep is a cooking pot, and, if you’re looking to get really luxurious, a sweet potato.
The Japanese Internet is going crazy over recent Finnish photos of a group of bear cubs who appear to be dancing around in a circle, reminiscent of the age-old nursery rhyme “Ring Around the Rosie”.
Valtteri Mulkahainen, a 52-year-old Finnish photography hobbyist, says he thought he was imagining the bears dancing around, even going so far as to say the scene was so magical he wouldn’t have been surprised if they had begun singing. Given the man’s situation as he took the now-madly circulating photos, we can’t blame him for momentarily believing he was living inside of a Disney movie.
When wildlife researchers in Kochi Prefecture set up an unmanned camera in a local forest to find the cheeky wilderness creature stealing honey from an animal trap they’d set up, they probably expected to find a clever squirrel or some other creature too small or quick to set off the trap door.
Instead, what they found in video footage was what can only be described as real-life Winnie the Pooh turned to petty crime to fund his hopeless honey addiction.
- Casey Baseel
Nov 27, 2013
You’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t like penguins. Between their flightless wings and pudgy physique, there’s something inherently funny about them, which is juxtaposed and amplified by the way they look like they’re constantly dressed in formal tuxedos.
But perhaps the most comical thing of all about the monochrome birds is the stubborn dignity they show by standing at silent attention, even when surrounded by onlookers at a zoo.
Unless, that is, there’s a butterfly to chase.
When people think of Japan, they often think about anime or giant robots or giant robot anime. They are also likely to think of Japan’s medieval version of giant robot anime: the samurai. For many of us, the first introduction we got to Japan was through the amazing films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune, leaving with us images of unrelenting master swordsmen.
While the world may mostly be entranced by the swords, it’s impossible to deny the beauty of the armor we also saw on the silver screen. Though surely nothing so fancy was ever actually worn during the years of Japan’s civil wars, right??
Nov 21, 2013
Every dog owner has experienced it: you want your dog to sit, speak, roll over and maybe shake, but your pooch has other ambitions. Bigger dreams. He wants to join the fire brigade (you know this because you taught him to speak), but you’re worried about your little buddy’s safety.
Finally, though, you can let your doggy chase both his tail and his dreams with this adorable doggy flame-retardant suit. Join us after the jump for more adorable photos!
A video uploaded to YouTube earlier this week has been causing quite a stir amongst web users in Japan today. In it, we see what appears to be a homeless man in China’s capital city asking for money from passersby on the street.
Rather than simply holding a cardboard sign asking for spare change or sitting on the ground with a paper cup like, sadly, so many are forced to, this man has a rather neat trick for generating a little extra cash: he has trained a small bird to fly into the hand of those donating their yuan and bring the coins back to him one by one!
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- Justin Bieber’s Yasukuni Shrine visit draws scorn from Asian fans2
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz3
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner4
- Does Avril Lavigne’s Tokyo music video really have anything to do with Japan?5
- All-in-one bed is perfect for you, you lazy bum (Also, why don’t you get a job?)6
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”7
- Whack-a-Kitty: Now with real kittens【Video】8
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan9
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit10
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated4
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner5
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love6
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan7
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together8
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly9
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit8
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong9
- Take your love of touching imitation breasts out on the go with Puni Puni Case For iPhone10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)8
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans9
- “Those are her GRANDCHILDREN?!” Youthful 42-year-old grandmother astounds Chinese netizens10
- All-in-one bed is perfect for you, you lazy bum (Also, why don’t you get a job?)
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”
- Whack-a-Kitty: Now with real kittens【Video】
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!
- CATable promises to get the cat off your laptop and into the desk
- Microsoft’s cringeworthy new Surface ad makes Japan squirm in unison
- Japanese pig farmer shows the world how pigs should be treated
- The top five places to survive a real attack by Titans in Japan
- The wacky world of video game advertising in the ‘80s and ‘90s
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate
- First-of-its-kind towel is totally worth its 5,000 yen price, customers say