In one of the more bizarre news stories of the day – yes, even by RocketNews24 standards – a chicken in China’s Henan Province has recently shot to fame online after it was spotted sporting a fine set of curled feathers that make him look like he’s been out to get a perm to impress the ladies in the henhouse with.
As December 25 draws near and stores become more and more packed with people searching for the perfect gift, no one would blame you if you opted to do all of your shopping online. Honestly, there’s never been a better age for Internet shopping, and you can bypass going out in the cold by parking yourself on your sofa with a laptop and ordering just about anything you want or need while sipping from a hot mug of cocoa (or a cold bottle of beer, if you’re lucky enough to live someplace warm even at this time of year).
Yes, with just a few clicks you can have books, groceries, or even a new pet for the family delivered right to your home. The only question is, how do you package a puppy?
Back in school we learnt about the predator-prey system, the brutal but entirely natural way in which Mother Nature keeps things in balance. It’s a cruel world out there in the wild, but that’s just how it is.
But things don’t always go as planned, even for great Mother Nature. There are exceptions every once in a while, like this pair of miracle buddies, Gohan-chan the hamster and Ao-chan the snake, who seem to get along just fine.
It’s about time cats did something for us. We’ve pampered them on the Internet and in convenience stores for years, and all they ever did in return was learn how to poop in the litter box.
Cats are finally giving back now with these cute but somewhat disturbing smartphone stands that depict various cat breeds heroically holding up your smartphone so it won’t topple over.
Japan has a number of sleeping arrangements that can be jarring if you didn’t grow up here. Sleeping in a futon on the floor, often in a space that doubles as your living room and/or kitchen, can take some getting used to. A surprisingly large number of pillows sometimes come filled with, by Western standards, unusual things such as buckwheat husks.
But you know what? Maybe we’re being too picky. As Shiro the Cat shows us, all you really need for a good night’s sleep is a cooking pot, and, if you’re looking to get really luxurious, a sweet potato.
The Japanese Internet is going crazy over recent Finnish photos of a group of bear cubs who appear to be dancing around in a circle, reminiscent of the age-old nursery rhyme “Ring Around the Rosie”.
Valtteri Mulkahainen, a 52-year-old Finnish photography hobbyist, says he thought he was imagining the bears dancing around, even going so far as to say the scene was so magical he wouldn’t have been surprised if they had begun singing. Given the man’s situation as he took the now-madly circulating photos, we can’t blame him for momentarily believing he was living inside of a Disney movie.
When wildlife researchers in Kochi Prefecture set up an unmanned camera in a local forest to find the cheeky wilderness creature stealing honey from an animal trap they’d set up, they probably expected to find a clever squirrel or some other creature too small or quick to set off the trap door.
Instead, what they found in video footage was what can only be described as real-life Winnie the Pooh turned to petty crime to fund his hopeless honey addiction.
- Casey Baseel
Nov 27, 2013
You’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t like penguins. Between their flightless wings and pudgy physique, there’s something inherently funny about them, which is juxtaposed and amplified by the way they look like they’re constantly dressed in formal tuxedos.
But perhaps the most comical thing of all about the monochrome birds is the stubborn dignity they show by standing at silent attention, even when surrounded by onlookers at a zoo.
Unless, that is, there’s a butterfly to chase.
When people think of Japan, they often think about anime or giant robots or giant robot anime. They are also likely to think of Japan’s medieval version of giant robot anime: the samurai. For many of us, the first introduction we got to Japan was through the amazing films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune, leaving with us images of unrelenting master swordsmen.
While the world may mostly be entranced by the swords, it’s impossible to deny the beauty of the armor we also saw on the silver screen. Though surely nothing so fancy was ever actually worn during the years of Japan’s civil wars, right??
Nov 21, 2013
Every dog owner has experienced it: you want your dog to sit, speak, roll over and maybe shake, but your pooch has other ambitions. Bigger dreams. He wants to join the fire brigade (you know this because you taught him to speak), but you’re worried about your little buddy’s safety.
Finally, though, you can let your doggy chase both his tail and his dreams with this adorable doggy flame-retardant suit. Join us after the jump for more adorable photos!
A video uploaded to YouTube earlier this week has been causing quite a stir amongst web users in Japan today. In it, we see what appears to be a homeless man in China’s capital city asking for money from passersby on the street.
Rather than simply holding a cardboard sign asking for spare change or sitting on the ground with a paper cup like, sadly, so many are forced to, this man has a rather neat trick for generating a little extra cash: he has trained a small bird to fly into the hand of those donating their yuan and bring the coins back to him one by one!
Have you ever stared longingly at your animal friends and thought, “Gee whiz. What an awesome life”? It must be nice to live in a world free from work and responsibilities, where licking your butt is a perfectly acceptable way to spend an afternoon.
But you have to admit, there are some pretty awesome perks to being a person, like driving and wearing hats! In fact, I think it’s safe to say that there’s a little envy from the side of the animal kingdom as well. Just check out these 45 images of animals acting human.
This is a squirrel absolutely freaking out – adorably – about dropping a nut from a high place. The little guy must have been fantasizing about that nut all day. He must have been saving it for a rainy day; one of those particularly stressful days after whatever squirrel equivalent to a desk job he was doing.
This might be old news, but just in case some of you missed the hoo-ha, this is Ippo, the baby zebroid who surprised the world with her beautiful mix of brown and stripes when she was born in July this year. A zebroid is the hybrid offspring of a zebra and any type of equine. Just look at the Italian beauty’s coat, she’s simply Mother Nature’s fashion statement!
- Philip Kendall
Oct 29, 2013
Cats, dogs, they’re both all kinds of cute. But when you have one of each and they live and get along together, the results can be even more adorable. One Japanese netizen recently shared a video of their pet shiba inu standing before their newest arrival, a tiny kitten called Milky, performing her “onegai” begging pose. Quite what she was begging for we have no idea, but the scene is nothing short of hilarious.
Check out the full video after the jump!
- Philip Kendall
Oct 29, 2013
There are few things quite like the bond between a human and their pet, and most of the staff here at RocketNews24 can’t even begin to imagine life without their respective pups and feline overlords, but there are some animals that we definitely wouldn’t recommend keeping at home–particularly those on the endangered species list.
According to a recent NHK news report, a man living on the Japanese island of Tsushima narrowly avoided prosecution after it became clear that he had secretly kept a wild Japanese leopard cat in his home for 15 years before he was forced to seek assistance. As angered as the authorities were, however, they ultimately decided that they might learn from the man’s experiences and are due to talk to him about how he managed to keep the animal alive for such a length of time.
- Casey Baseel
Oct 21, 2013
This year’s breakout anime hit Attack on Titan snuck up on a lot of people. Sure, previews for the TV series made it look like a fun adventure, but is wasn’t until sometime after it premiered that the franchise became the international success it is today, despite the comic it’s based on having been around since 2009.
Why didn’t more people, from the very beginning, realize just how much entertainment Attack on Titan has to offer? Maybe the story’s antagonists, naked giants who look like anatomy textbook illustrations, were just too repugnantly grotesque. Maybe, being creator Hajime Isayama’s first serial, the artwork on its heroes was a little too rough around the edges. How much more immediately accessible would Attack on Titan have been if they had all been replaced with a more traditionally pleasing aesthetic, like a bunch of cute cats?
Thanks to this feline-infused recreation of the show’s opening animation, now we know.
- Philip Kendall
Oct 17, 2013
Thankfully the following images, which popped up on Japanese textboard site 2Channel earlier this week, were all produced using image sites such as PicHacks in order to create a symmetrical image from an existing photo, and are not of real-world creatures genetically engineered by nefarious scientists. Some of them will, however, most definitely be coming after you in your dreams tonight.
So come with us now as we step into the world of creepy evolutions and nightmarish creatures. And they said facial symmetry is a mark of beauty…
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong1
- Lady Gaga goes gaga for Hatsune Miku, makes virtual idol her opening act2
- Real-life barbie bares real-life face in minimal makeup selfies【Photos】3
- Doraemon meets Dragon Ball in the weirdest mash up we’ve seen today4
- Amazing Lego artist spends six months bringing Hatsune Miku into the physical world5
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】6
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】7
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly8
- Brutal four-panel comic explains why Japanese salaryman are trapped in their jobs9
- Sailor Moon in the City of Angels at LA art exhibit going on right now 【Photos】10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly4
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong5
- Ten-year-old illustrator getting national attention for his unique style of portraits6
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】7
- See what 13 stuffed toys look like after a wash at the home spa8
- We finally get to meet Goku’s mother — and we think she’s a real cutie!9
- Sad breakfasts the morning after a fight【Photos】10
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea1
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)2
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】3
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos4
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork5
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success6
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for7
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour8
- Admirers express their love for Crimean attorney general in the purest way they can: cute fan art9
- Who’s inside those theme park costumes? In China, it could be this 75-year-old woman10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】4
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- So, the Dalai Lama walks into a convenience store in rural Japan… 【Photos】
- Taiwanese student creates incredible art with materials others would throw away【Photos】
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly
- Brutal four-panel comic explains why Japanese salaryman are trapped in their jobs
- Sailor Moon in the City of Angels at LA art exhibit going on right now 【Photos】
- Touching commercial pulls off a hat-trick to hit us right in the feels once again
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right
- Live-action Attack on Titan film casts lead role, sets filming location and start date
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- A Maasai tribesman in Ginza: How Tokyo fashion empowers women a world away in Africa 【Photos】
- Cute girls are universal! Japanese netizens rave over a Chinese girl who is “too cute”【Photos】
- Gross! Kindergarten teacher pees in his female colleagues’ tea
- I thought everyone was exaggerating about how great the airport in Seoul was until I actually went there