Baskin Robbins Japan is known for their quirky ice cream creations centered around major foreign holidays, and this year they’ve rolled out a half dozen smiley face frozen treats for Christmas. Featuring familiar characters and adorable animals, these special sundaes in festive cups will get anyone into the holiday spirit. Let’s take a closer look at this cute Christmas lineup:
On every month that has 31 days, if you go into a Baskin Robbins in Japan (where the chain is more commonly known simply as “Thirty-One”), you can get a 31-percent discount on double and triple scoop orders of ice cream. Sadly, with only 30 days in September, your next chance to indulge your sweet tooth on the cheap won’t come until October 31.
As long as you’re willing to pay regular price, though, you won’t have to wait nearly so long to try out their cool Halloween treats, which go on sale this month.
May 8, 2014
So, is everyone excited about the FIFA World Cup in Brazil coming up next month? While Japan is practically on the opposite end of the world from Brazil, there’s sure to be plenty of devoted soccer fans here who will be watching the World Cup games intently. And just to make sure everyone in Japan gets even more excited about the event than they already are, Baskin Robbins Japan is coming out with a new, colorful sherbet flavor — the “Trio de Janeiro“!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 18, 2013
Thirty-one Ice Cream, as Baskin Robbins is called in Japan, just revealed four new “flavors of love” to be released in time for Valentines Day 2014. You might think that love tastes different depending on who you talk to, but the popular ice cream chain suggests it actually tastes like armaretto chocolate, berries, cheesecake and chocolate raspberries.
Dec 18, 2013
With New Year’s just around the corner supermarkets and department stores all over Japan are displaying kagami mochi. These are mounds of the popular Japanese food mochi which is made from rice and has a gummy consistency.
They can serve as household decorations up until 1 January when they may then be happily, and hopefully safely, devoured. However, mochi has a subtle sweetness that some might find rather bland. If that’s the case for you then Baskin Robbins is hoping you’ll enjoy their Kagami Mochi Ice Cream Cakes.
Every year, new products and special creations are announced in honor of Halloween and Jack-o-lanterns, ghosts, black cats, and a number of other spooky symbols can be seen on familiar products. Even in Japan, Halloween is celebrated (although sometimes misunderstood), giving rise to cute and scary limited edition items. Let’s take a look at the sweeter side of Halloween in Japan with menu items from Baskin Robbins, Krispy Kreme, Cold Stone, and Mister Donut.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Jun 21, 2013
In celebration of the release of Monsters University, Baskin Robbins Japan has created an ice cream cake featuring the movie’s main character, Mike Wazowski. We know that this movie is all about scary monsters learning how to terrify children, but this Mike cake is almost too cute to eat.
John Stuart Translations
Jun 18, 2013
Causal clothing retail giant UNIQLO announced last week it would introduce a line of women’s and kids’ shorts themed on Baskin-Robbins ice-cream flavors from June 24.
This year’s Golden Week is shaping up to be awesome. Not only do people living in Japan get a handful of government sanctioned holidays sprinkled throughout the first week of May, we also get some sweet deals on food. Not only is McDonald’s giving away a free in-car “potato holder” to patrons who purchase a meal deal with a large order of fries, but Baskin Robbins Japan has just announced a 31 percent discount on a double scoop of ice cream during Golden Week!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Feb 16, 2013
Japan has some of the best customer service in the world. We recently ran a story about a convenience store worker who packed our writer’s purchase so that the cold and hot drinks wouldn’t touch. This is just one of the many examples of the attention to detail that is given by workers in Japan. Sure, sometimes you land up having to wait five minutes at the department store while the clerk wraps every individual item (and the line of people behind you slowly creeps past the front doors), but this level of service is nothing short of amazing.
On my most recent visit to Baskin Robbins (it’s simply known as “31 Ice Cream” in Japan), I was shocked by the level of service I received after ordering a single cup of ice cream to-go. Most astonishing was the small block of dry ice that was placed on top of the ice cream to prevent it from melting on the way home.
- Who knew frozen apples could taste so good!: Simple dessert recipe for the diet-conscious1
- “Common habits of Japan’s low earners”: What this survey tells us, and what it doesn’t2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute4
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters5
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?6
- Nearly five percent of Japanese are addicted to gambling- even though it’s still “illegal”7
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer8
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” Osaka Girls’ Club looks to the future of ‘josou’ crossdressing9
- Beautiful faces and floors – Five great ways to reuse the water from rinsing rice10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world3
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art4
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer5
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less6
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues9
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?
- Nearly five percent of Japanese are addicted to gambling- even though it’s still “illegal”
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer
- “We don’t want to be girls. We just want to be cute!” Osaka Girls’ Club looks to the future of ‘josou’ crossdressing
- Beautiful faces and floors – Five great ways to reuse the water from rinsing rice
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Check out these amazing Ghibli-inspired tattoos
- Endangered critters in China get health check, diagnosed with acute cuteness 【Photos】
- We don’t know what Vanadium is either, but Asahi put it in a drink for you anyway
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku
- The top 10 spots in Tokyo to make an anime pilgrimage