Can you read kanji? It certainly looks like these birds can!
Wait, do these birds know more kanji than some foreigners who’ve lived in Japan for years and never learned to read??
Well, after all the birds were born in Japan and grew up seeing it all around them. It’s only natural for them to pick it up, so perhaps they have an unfair advantage. Anyway, no bird has passed any level of the tough Kanji Kentei tests. Yet…
A chance encounter on the roads of Thailand led Mike Swift to take a video of a biker so awesomely weird that he put it out on YouTube as soon as possible. At first you’ll notice the pet bird which obediently flies alongside the woman as she rides, which is wild enough, but you’ll soon find that this little half-minute clip is deceptively deep.
- Rona Moon
Jun 6, 2013
Many a foreigner living in Japan has attempted and mangled this classic karaoke favourite, the theme song from popular Japanese animated film My Neighbor Totoro, just so they can let their vocal cords rip in the chorus. Even with limited language skills, you can probably belt out “Totoro, totoro” one million times and manage to mumble through the rest of the words.
But this cockatiel Poko-chan’s sense of pitch and inner pizzazz puts humans to shame. Accompanied by her owner on piano, she warbles through a song that few have fully mastered. What would Simon Cowell say? You be the judge.
“Pet Bird” Flavored Ice Cream Sold at Small Bird Festival, Available in Parakeet, Cockatiel, and Sparrow
- Master Blaster
May 14, 2013
Do you like ice cream? Do you like putting birds in your mouth?
Of course we all do, but with only two hands it can be hard to do both at once. That’s why Torimi Cafe came out with a line of ice creams modeled after three breeds of small birds.
In Japan’s Twitter world, this bird is causing quite a flurry. The Java sparrow in these photos is so adorable and righteously perched that at first glance, it looks real. But alas, no real sparrow would pose for photos so sweetly and demurely. At least that’s what twitter user “Bado” found when he tried to take photos of his real pet sparrow on top of his smartphone.
- Watch this totally unique Sailor Moon fan video — created with illustrations by over 250 artists!1
- “Tanima Diver” necklaces celebrate cleavage by plunging right into it2
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker3
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’4
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex5
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen6
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today7
- The amazing cosplayers of (the first two days of) Comic-Con 20148
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing9
- Chinese Kid Caught Pooping in the Aisle of a Passenger Plane, Human Race Doomed10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.2
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race3
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman4
- Internet survey sheds light on how Japanese women deal with the hair ‘down there’5
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”6
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs7
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break8
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】6
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land7
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic8
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!9
- Guitarist perfectly recreates disgraced Japanese politician’s uncontrollable sobbing【Video】10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Tohoku University evicts entire dormitory for rampant drinking, is a zany 80s comedy just waiting to happen
- Toyokazu Nagano’s “Magic Road” – the funniest, most adorable photos you’ll see today
- The amazing cosplayers of (the first two days of) Comic-Con 2014
- 【TBT】Tipping in Japan: Yes, it exists and it’s confusing
- Chinese Kid Caught Pooping in the Aisle of a Passenger Plane, Human Race Doomed
- Game dev berates gaming media on its “junior high school” analysis of PS4′s performance in Japan
- Too hot during the blackout? Cool down with an electric fan, veteran newscaster suggests
- The top 20 most eagerly anticipated anime of summer 2014, as chosen by fans!
- Gamer discovers his deceased father’s ghost on an old Xbox game, challenges it to a race
- Japanese critic shares his (kinda weird) views on Japanese vs Western adult entertainment
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- Nara’s deer continue their summertime tradition of commandeering one of the city’s streets