One thing we can probably all agree on is that cockroaches are gross and disgusting. They stink, they fly at your face and they can make you sick. They must be exterminated, but not everybody enjoys breathing in the noxious fumes from aggressive sprays, nor do they enjoy handling toxic poisons. So what’s left? Drown the suckers? They can survive in water for around 30 minutes. Suffocate them? They can live without air for 45 minutes. Chops their heads off? They’ll just keep on scurrying. Luckily, a high school girl in Thailand has come up with an all-natural non-violent method of disposing of the icky invaders. All you’ll need is flour, cement powder, and… malted milk powder?
Jul 18, 2014
What would you do if you found a cockroach in your food while dining in a restaurant?
If you said “complain to the management” or “report the place to the department of sanitation”, you’d be wrong. Well, at least according to one waitress at a restaurant in Chengdu, China who told a customer that it was “normal” for creepy-crawlies to make it into restaurant food, and promptly swallowed the cockroach he had found to prove her point…
This pervert told women there was a cockroach on their clothes so he could grope them【TomoNews Video】
May 22, 2014
“There’s a cockroach on your shirt!” is the worst pick-up line we’ve heard in years…
Gokiburi Kujo Maisuta (Cockroach Control Meister) is a service that helps provide estimates for the removal of terrifying cockroaches in the home. Thousands rely on them to kill off the shiny black terrors in kitchens and bedrooms across the country.
However, the company has apparently felt a pang of guilt recently. They feel that the roaches have done no wrong and are simply trying to exist just like everyone else. And so, the company has created Itsuki Kurohane: the cockroach moe girl to help combat the centuries of vilification unfairly handed down to these creatures.
Over the next month Gokiburi Kujo Maisuta is holding a contest to give away five Itsuki Kurohane hug pillows, but there’s a catch – besides her being a half-roach-half-human thing.
Remember that scene from The Mummy where what seems like a million scarabs pour out of every little crack and crevice, creating a sea of writhing beetles? Yeah, that actually happened in real life. With cockroaches.
Jul 18, 2013
We’re sure many of you readers are as sick of hearing about the Japan heat as we are suffering it, so let’s talk about some different weather! In specific: Rainy days and umbrellas!
Posting on Japanese news and community site My Navi News, a university student has asked the online community for its take on his somewhat unique predicament he found himself in after using everyone’s most hated insect to prevent his umbrella from being stolen.
It’s summer and the cockroach index is at its peak in many parts of Japan. During this time of the year most people have to do battle with our greatest foe, known as the gokiburi in Japanese. We all have our weapons of choice like spray, shoe, or phonebook.
However, even after we’ve slain the beast there’s still the issue of removing the body. Generally with bugs you’d just pick it up with some tissue and chuck it in the toilet, but cockroaches are supposed to be able to survive a nuclear holocaust. How can we be sure it’s really dead from just a little spritz of poison?
Thankfully we now have Goki Crane, a new way to pick up and dispose of unsightly and possibly reanimating cockroach carcasses without getting your hands dirty or your nerves rattled.
Are you often visited by cockroaches? Do you hate having to do battle with these quick menaces for the sanctity of your home?
At the moment, circling around tumblr, is an intriguing yet simple method to rid your home of cockroaches – possibly forever – and it wouldn’t cost you a dime. It certainly seems plausible, but whether it truly works or not remains to be seen.
Cockroach Forecast Now Available Online, Check the Weather and How Likely You are to See a Roach Today!
Jul 27, 2012
As summer crawls along, people in many parts of the world are braced for encounters with cockroaches. Any time they come into our home we are left feeling vulnerable, frustrated, disgusted, and pretty much every negative emotion you can think of.
Courtesy of Japanese chemical company LION, those of us in Japan can now get a detailed report on the level of cockroach activity in our area via the website “Gokiten” (Cockroach Weather). On the surface this might not seem so useful, but looking deeper into it, this website has a lot to offer, especially to people who just met a roach.
The hottest toy of 2012, Roachbot, was released earlier this year amid great fanfare with its eerie resemblance everyone’s favorite kitchen guest, the cockroach. But as Japan enters the middle of cockroach season, we find ourselves casting aside our robotic roaches to play with the real ones.
Sensing this, Japan Trust Technologies have given it a severe amping up, including support for the iPhone and iPad.
Ah, the rainy season is upon us here in Japan. Actually, this applies to folks everywhere in humid climates, but there’s a certain creature that rejoices in this environment, known for its shininess and disconcerting nimbleness and reflexes. That’s right: the cockroach. Have you set up your home defenses for this summer?
Jun 5, 2012
A photo that has been circulating the internet recently has people scratching their heads. Suspected by some to be photoshopped, this image has captured what appears to be an arguably beautiful cockroach.
Naturally, not everyone is assuaged by the makeover. As one commenter succinctly pointed out “a cockroach is a cockroach.” True, but probably everyone would trade our hideously black city dwelling breed of roach for this more palatable line. Which begs the question: “What the heck, cockroaches?”
May 16, 2012
You know that warm feeling you get when you spot a cockroach in the corner of your kitchen. How about when you pick up the garbage only to find one of those magical little critters scurry away in that adorable way they do?
The problem is that these precious moments are rare and even more fleeting as roaches quickly run into some crack in the wall. Although you may feel comforted knowing that there are thousands more living inside that wall, it still doesn’t match the pure elation of meeting one of these black bundles of joy face to face.
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- 10 weird and wonderful things you can find in a Japanese drugstore4
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea5
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level6
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz7
- Have you foresaken sleep and completed Bloodborne already? Now you can move on to PvP mode!8
- “It all came out?” Debate ensues over whether schoolgirl ad is just talking about mayonnaise9
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll10
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives1
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map2
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside3
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】4
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines5
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl6
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them7
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits8
- Bizarre video series gives pervy weirdos a glimpse of girls’ panties in very specific situations9
- Kabe-don? That’s old news. Now it’s all about the sode-kuru!10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20156
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens7
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz
- Have you foresaken sleep and completed Bloodborne already? Now you can move on to PvP mode!
- “It all came out?” Debate ensues over whether schoolgirl ad is just talking about mayonnaise
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- Woman loses an eye from foul ball at Sapporo Dome, sues team for millions of yen
- Cup of noodles for vegans! Japanese Zen Buddhist temple starts selling instant soba and udon
- Awesome new electric motorcycle looks like something out of “Akira”‘s Neo Tokyo
- Pikachu puts on a suit, hopes hiring managers will choose him as a business formal plushie