Yujiapu, in China’s Tianjin Binhai New Area, was modeled on Manhattan and expected to become the financial center of the world. But it languishes as many wasteful Chinese ghost cities have. At one point it was reported that the Juilliard School had signed an agreement to set up an institute in Yujiapu. And there were plans for a Rockefeller and Lincoln Center as well. But construction in this Manhattan hopeful has ground to a halt.
- Angelina Lucienne
Jun 23, 2014
Smartphones and tablets improve almost faster than consumers can keep up with, and the apps designed for them change even more quickly. That means that there is a lot of opportunity for plagiarism. But surely sometimes it’s just a coincidence, right? It’s not out of the question that two developers could realistically be trying to fulfill the same need.
This week has brought us one more heated internet debate: Is hotel application Tonight by Japan’s GREE a rip-off of North American app Hotel Tonight, or are their similarities just coincidence?
- Master Blaster
Apr 23, 2014
This stylish chain of stores has seen branches popping up all over China and boasts “Japanese brands” and “100% Japanese quality” all for the reasonable price of 10 yuan (US$1.60). It’s called “Meiso” in its native language of Japanese where it is said to have found major success… which is interesting because there doesn’t seem to be a single Meiso outlet in the whole country of Japan.
Well, actually that’s not completely true. Much like how the spirit of Santa Claus lives in every child’s heart, the spirit of Meiso can be found in three of Japan’s largest retailers – Uniqlo, Mujirushi Ryohin, and Daiso – in it’s eerily similar design to all three. And that’s just the tip of the weirdness iceberg.
Nowadays, when it comes to knock-offs of popular products, most people think of China. We’re not just saying that to pick on our neighbors to the west, there’s just an awful lot of suspect copies. Korean bootlegs have had their time making the rounds as well, but everyone seems to leave Japan alone. That is until now. A video uploaded by Japanese YouTube user, msdoom99, has surfaced with the goal of giving all those Japanese netizens who have laughed at Chinese and Korean knockoffs a taste of Japan’s little-known copies. Take a look at just a few and ask yourself, “So who’s laughing now?”
- Philip Kendall
Nov 27, 2012
North Korea isn’t exactly renown for its footwear industry, but the recent appearance of a new pair of sneakers on North Korean television has caused quite a stir in the Asian media.
Featuring an “extra-supportive heel section” and a red design with a series of white stripes, the North Korean design bears a striking resemblance to Japanese company Asics’ own model.
Is this a simple coincidence or are we looking at an all-out rip-off?
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”1
- Man questioned by police after building “girl” out of plastic bottles, taking her out on a date2
- Five amazing Japanese Starbucks locations that let you keep sightseeing as you take a break3
- Pikachu, we eat you! – A visit to Tokyo’s Pokémon restaurant4
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker5
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move6
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day7
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!8
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide9
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman10
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- This man’s face left Chinese internet users in amazement, agony and confusion 【Photos】3
- Creative pet “haircuts”: Funky or funny? You decide.4
- Emotional anime short celebrates Tokyo Station’s 100th birthday【Video】5
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman6
- Internet reacts to Taiwanese yoga instructor’s wildly unnecessary opening pitch striptease7
- More than one way to skin a cat? Japanese YouTuber shows how to “open” a cat with belly rubs8
- Man kidnaps, imprisons 11-year-old to raise her to be his “ideal girl”9
- Is Attack on Titan a documentary? Mikasa spotted in Russia!10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker2
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!3
- Japanese politician screams and cries at press conference as he defends expenses claims【Video】4
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!5
- 16 photos that show why Singapore has the world’s best airline6
- “Retweet if you thought I was a girl”: This beautiful young man, in his own words【Photos】7
- Japanese giant salamander caught taking a stroll on land8
- German team hero Mario Gotze wins World Cup, later loses dignity thanks to gross pic9
- These anime mascots are just what the World Cup has been missing!10
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker1
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!2
- Samurai in Brazil shows off incredible freestyle football skills ahead of World Cup3
- Doggy gets upset over his new haircut, walks around on hind legs like a boss for two days4
- Russian crocodile hospitalized after woman falls on it5
- Internet falls in love with Chinese cosplaying beauty, disappointed to hear she’s a guy 【Updated】6
- Not your average Bulbasaur: Mayan-style Pokemon7
- Chinese student asks for cooked sushi at Sukibayashi Jiro, gets flamed by Chinese netizens8
- What if Sailor Moon characters were lingerie models? They’d look stunning like this 【Photos】9
- The official Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist trailer just made our day【Video】10
- Grandpa makes Totoro for grandkids after move
- This awful woman stealing a little kid’s foul ball will ruin your day
- Japan’s Glico lets snackers turn their empty boxes into augmented reality sets for Doraemon!
- J-Pop group Tokio suspected in the sudden construction of a super-long noodle slide
- Middle-aged Chinese man’s “stomach pains” turn out to be his first period as a woman
- 20 crazy facts about North Korea
- Making a “fart cannon” is simple and cheap, says Japanese comedy site
- Our take on Studio Ghibli’s newest anime, When Marnie Was There【Impressions】
- Touching Final Fantasy X cover on the violin takes you “To Zanarkand”【Video】
- Inconsiderate commuter behavior in Korea – A photo guide
- Teacher accidentally supports the armament of Japan with flawed cartoon reference
- Beautiful 400-year-old garden in Okayama about to be replaced with condominium complex
- Chinese bus gets lined with artificial turf for World Cup, may never go back
- Visitors to this Wakayama beach get to swim with whales this summer