Yujiapu, in China’s Tianjin Binhai New Area, was modeled on Manhattan and expected to become the financial center of the world. But it languishes as many wasteful Chinese ghost cities have. At one point it was reported that the Juilliard School had signed an agreement to set up an institute in Yujiapu. And there were plans for a Rockefeller and Lincoln Center as well. But construction in this Manhattan hopeful has ground to a halt.
- Angelina Lucienne
Jun 23, 2014
Smartphones and tablets improve almost faster than consumers can keep up with, and the apps designed for them change even more quickly. That means that there is a lot of opportunity for plagiarism. But surely sometimes it’s just a coincidence, right? It’s not out of the question that two developers could realistically be trying to fulfill the same need.
This week has brought us one more heated internet debate: Is hotel application Tonight by Japan’s GREE a rip-off of North American app Hotel Tonight, or are their similarities just coincidence?
- Master Blaster
Apr 23, 2014
This stylish chain of stores has seen branches popping up all over China and boasts “Japanese brands” and “100% Japanese quality” all for the reasonable price of 10 yuan (US$1.60). It’s called “Meiso” in its native language of Japanese where it is said to have found major success… which is interesting because there doesn’t seem to be a single Meiso outlet in the whole country of Japan.
Well, actually that’s not completely true. Much like how the spirit of Santa Claus lives in every child’s heart, the spirit of Meiso can be found in three of Japan’s largest retailers – Uniqlo, Mujirushi Ryohin, and Daiso – in it’s eerily similar design to all three. And that’s just the tip of the weirdness iceberg.
Nowadays, when it comes to knock-offs of popular products, most people think of China. We’re not just saying that to pick on our neighbors to the west, there’s just an awful lot of suspect copies. Korean bootlegs have had their time making the rounds as well, but everyone seems to leave Japan alone. That is until now. A video uploaded by Japanese YouTube user, msdoom99, has surfaced with the goal of giving all those Japanese netizens who have laughed at Chinese and Korean knockoffs a taste of Japan’s little-known copies. Take a look at just a few and ask yourself, “So who’s laughing now?”
- Philip Kendall
Nov 27, 2012
North Korea isn’t exactly renown for its footwear industry, but the recent appearance of a new pair of sneakers on North Korean television has caused quite a stir in the Asian media.
Featuring an “extra-supportive heel section” and a red design with a series of white stripes, the North Korean design bears a striking resemblance to Japanese company Asics’ own model.
Is this a simple coincidence or are we looking at an all-out rip-off?
- New tax exemption system for foreign visitors to Japan starts today!1
- Expat’s video “Our Japan” beautifully captures why we love it here2
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan3
- The awesome Soccer Samurai is back, and this time he’s fighting ninjas in Manchester 【Video】4
- We try Riedel’s glass which unleashes the true flavor potential of Coca Cola5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China7
- To handwrite, or not to handwrite? Recruiter lays into laziness of young Japanese job hunters8
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese9
- Shonen Jump surprises readers with literal booby traps in new online manga service10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money3
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique4
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】5
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates6
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army7
- Tokyo ice cream stand’s colossal eight-flavor cones might be the biggest we’ve ever seen8
- Miranda Kerr’s newest photoshoot for Vogue Japan stirs up controversy9
- Big in Japan, not so much in the U.S. – Fangirl furious over Arashi concert ticket price gap10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability7
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】8
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval9
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China
- To handwrite, or not to handwrite? Recruiter lays into laziness of young Japanese job hunters
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese
- Shonen Jump surprises readers with literal booby traps in new online manga service
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results
- “Bye-bye!” Chinese flying doll works a little too well, becomes one-use toy 【Video】
- Not all of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime accessory line is metallic, but it’s all awesome
- Is your grandpa bad-ass enough for these epic, blade-concealing walking sticks?
- Wow, literature is cute! Hiroshima library designs anime mascots for decimal classifications
- Soup not soap: Japanese public bathhouses surviving by converting into retro-chic cafés
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing
- Three reasons to sleep with a huggy pillow (that have nothing to do with an anime crush)