Whether it be counterfeit foods or the use of hazardous chemicals in the food manufacturing process, China has seen a number of incidents in recent years that question the safety of its food industry. At a time when trust in food safety is still a delicate issue comes yet another bizarre incident that will once again send chills down many readers’ spines. The incident tells the story of pet cats which were stolen and then turned into fake mutton by a man looking to make a quick buck. The poor cats were then sold as “wholesale meat” on the food market.
With the country growing at an unprecedented rate and many still living below the poverty line, it is inevitable that China should struggle to control the quality of the foodstuffs it manufactures. With a reputation for being cheap and of inferior quality, Chinese exports are often unfairly labelled as potentially harmful or unappetising, and many in neighboring countries will snub Chinese-produced consumables found on supermarket shelves purely because of where they come from. But when developed countries rely so much on cheap Chinese labor and exports, one sometimes has to wonder whether this is partly a problem of our own making.
Of course, Japan rarely sees eye-to-eye with China, so it is perhaps unsurprising that it should focus on the negative when it comes to news of this kind. This week in fact, website Madame Riri published an article outlining 10 cases of food products from China that have caused scandal in recent years. After reading their list, though, even we can’t help but feel a little concerned for the wellbeing of the world’s next superpower.
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】1
- Japan’s 10 best ryokan inns and top 10 hotels, as chosen by foreign visitors2
- Guy asks Twitter to decode late uncle’s encrypted message, gets results in matter of hours3
- Twitter artist reimagines 64 pokémon as “Substitute” plushies to adorable results4
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs5
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!6
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?7
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village8
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”9
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts10
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick3
- How to say “I love you” in Japanese – 47 different ways 【Videos】4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- 10 ways shopping at Wal-Mart in China is completely different from how it is in the US8
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile9
- Our Japanese reporter visits an American sushi restaurant in Japan10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher5
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises6
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit7
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make8
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message9
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】9
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school10
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!
- Japanese work ethic tested, how high of a fever will you run before calling in sick?
- More adorable photos from Japan’s fox village
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”
- Super-hot female member of real life superhero group captures Japanese hearts
- You’re not seeing things, that’s a cat selling roasted sweet potatoes
- Oh no, osechi! Why don’t young people in Japan like eating traditional New Year’s dishes?
- Japanese model builder wins at Gundam, makes a 3D model look like a flat drawing
- Timpani drummer’s crazy finale is startling, funny, more metal than you’d expect from a symphony
- Zao Fox Village: Where all your cutes are belong to us
- This suave chap is apparently a girl! Don’t believe us? We don’t believe our eyes either【Photos】
- Free to download Japanese marriage applications are cute, stylish, and legally binding
- Turn desk time into battle time with this gloriously unnecessary replica Mega Man helmet!