Japan’s numerous cat cafes are proof positive of the appeal of combing a bite to eat and feline companionship. But no matter how cute those kitties may be, you don’t actually want one walking all over your food, do you?
So instead, this clever kitchen tool will add an adorable pawprint to your meal even as your cat’s feet stay firmly on the floor.
Natto is an acquired taste. I mean this literally – people who have eaten the sticky, kind of stinky, fermented soybeans from childhood are more likely to enjoy it than those who first encounter it as adults. But it’s also what people euphemistically call “an acquired taste”, which is to say, a lot of people think it’s gross.
These adorable puppies don’t seem to mind the stink though, as they lick their bowl clean, wolfing down Japan’s most famously unpopular food. Yum!
2 days ago
If you were fighting the temptation to dig into confectioner Cozy Corner’s selection of cakes inspired by the leading ladies of the Disney animated canon, congratulations. Your struggle is over, since as of March 4, they’re no longer available.
If, on the other hand, you were hoping to try the stylish sweets for yourself but just couldn’t find the time, you have our sincere sympathies. Don’t feel too bad, though, because no sooner has one set of Cozy Corner Disney desserts bowed out than another has appeared on the scene, this time featuring the studio’s beloved characters cosplaying as Easter bunnies.
4 days ago
A few weeks ago, we found out that some cats had started taking over shrines in Thailand. While that might make our furry friends seem extremely impious, it’s also exactly the kind of hubris that we suspect cats particularly delight in. Now, you may be wondering if the same thing could happen in Japan–and the answer is: Of course!
While we’ve long suspected cats of being emissaries of the spirit world, these photos should make it clear that your kitten isn’t just adorable–it’s holy adorable!
4 days ago
When a Japanese Twitter user removed the covering from the top of her kotatsu (heated table) for cleaning, she discovered that she had disrupted the peaceful slumber of the thing that was lurking beneath…make that things, and cute things, in fact!
Oh, to be a cat, and inhabit one of those fluffy, soft, ultra-bendy bodies. It’s well-known that cats are so flexible as to be basically a liquid with fur, and what this means is that they’ve got an uncanny knack of being able to relax comfortably in the most awkward of positions. Take Akimbo Kitty, the cat from these snaps, who couldn’t be happier to be sunken into that beanbag/chair thing. Just look at those jaunty toes!
6 days ago
Remember a while back when we told you about the Malaysian girl with 229,000 Instagram followers, who uploads pictures of herself holding things? Well, it turns out that she has a sister who is just as cute, and since we know how much you all love pictures of cute girls (and guys!) we decided to introduce her to you! Join us after the jump to meet Min Chen’s sister, model Brandy Akiko!
Three-year-old girl perfectly recites martial arts school’s student creed, wields tiny fists of death
Feb 27, 2015
Don’t be fooled by this tiny martial artist’s chubby little fists and small stature – she is almost certainly destined to be kicking ass as some kind of martial arts-themed crime fighter (maybe as, “The Taekwon-Do-Gooder”) years from now. We’re guessing she’ll probably get started with all the ass-kicking right around the age of seven.
We’re certain of all of this because we recently saw the girl – who is not named because it would interfere with her keeping a secret identity later on – absolutely destroy her martial arts school’s student creed, reciting it word-for-word in her adorable little gi and punching the air with her tiny fists with the conviction we’re only able to muster when the peanut butter jar is just slightly out of reach and we really want a sandwich.
Feb 27, 2015
Japan clearly has no shortage of incredibly realistic miniatures. Only recently, we’ve covered Ginji, the wise hamster behind the world’s smallest izakaya (may he rest in peace), as well as the creator of some remarkable small-scale hangars.
Which brings us to the newest development in this saga: miniature food sets. Many have taken to Twitter to express their love for the ant-sized creations of company Re-ment, a maker of toys and other miscellaneous goods. With names like “Dad, eat the bitter part for me!” and “”Grandma’s House,” these sets recreate each scene with uncanny accuracy, but at a fraction of the size.
Pets are an extremely important part of our lives as they provide us with companionship that can’t be compared. People will try to do pretty much everything with their pets: walk, talk, bathe, cook (not like that!), the list just goes on and on! If you’ve never seen a pet cooking then let us remind you of YouTube veteran Francis, who hosts the cooking show “Cooking with Dog”.
Perhaps this show has inspired this kitten to start up her own cooking venture. They might want to work out a few tiny details first, but for now let’s introduce Meow, the cooking kitten sensation!
Feb 26, 2015
You’d be forgiven for thinking, “Not another ‘talking pet’ video!” YouTube is positively overflowing with them, after all, despite the fact that most of the time it’s only the owners who are able to decipher what their pets are supposedly “saying” before the camera.
Many netizens agree, however, that YouTuber luckersingo’s gorgeous cat Māya is actually meowing out the three-syllable Japanese greeting for good morning, “Ohayō!” Don’t believe us? Watch this talkative kitty in action and decide for yourself!
Feb 25, 2015
Japan is home to hundreds of animal cafes where guests are able to hang out with cats, rabbits, and even owls as they sip lattes and cups of herbal tea. These establishments give their patrons, often people who live in rented accommodation in urban areas, a chance to interact with animals that they would not be able to keep at home due to a lack of space or strict “no pets” clauses in tenancy agreements.
In Korea, however, one particular cafe has upscaled the experience with something much bigger and fluffier than the common bunny, cat or pup. Check out this unique cafe which houses a pair of beautiful, friendly sheep!
Feb 24, 2015
We’ve talked before about how to outsmart your cat and get it to sit wherever you want just by marking your floor with duct tape, cords, or even scarves. But enclosed spaces, whether real or implied, aren’t the only thing cats are attracted to. As experts in relaxing, they’re always on the lookout for a ray of warming sunshine, and will abandon their ordinarily contrary nature to follow its path like the hand of clock, as shown in this adorable time-lapse video that will have you ready for a catnap of your own.
Feb 23, 2015
PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome) is something many women and men are familiar with. Women bear the brunt of it on a monthly basis, while some men are indirect victims due to the mood swings of the “PMS-ing” females around them.
I doubt anyone would disagree that PMS is in no way enjoyable, but for once, the monstrosity that messes up our lives on a regular basis is starting to look interesting as Korean pop idol Lizzy teams up with comedian Park Myeong-Su to sing about it. Check out the music video after the break!
By now it’s no secret that we are vulnerable to cute attacks from cosplaying pets. If you have the same weakness for costume-donning fuzzy pals, you might have previously seen these cosplaying cats, dogs and hamsters, and silently thought, “Come on RocketNews24, there have got to be some cosplaying guinea pigs out there, find them!”
Well, ladies and gentlemen, here they are! More photos of some amazingly photogenic cosplaying guinea pigs after the jump!
Feb 22, 2015
If your post-Valentine’s Day sugar crash has left you feeling bitter and despondent, then pint-sized Thai singing sensation Gail Sophicha could be just the thing you need to put some sweetness back into your life. This eight-year-old musician has the voice of an actual angel and some impressive guitar and ukelele-jamming skills to boot.
Feb 21, 2015
If you’re a fan of hamsters or just cuteness in general, you might remember a few months ago when talked about Ginji, the adorable little hamster with an adorable little izakaya (Japanese-style pub). But while we all took a moment (or much longer, if we’re being honest) to ooh and awe over Ginji, today we’re instead having a moment of silence, as the heartwarming hamster has passed away.
Yet another feline made rounds on Japanese internet when his owner uploaded a picture of him behaving like a worn-out middle-aged man at home, comfortably lazing on the sofa while watching the TV. He sure resembles the stereotypical image we have of exhausted oji-san (middle aged man) office workers who come home from work and end up on the couch in a slump!
Japan Culture NYC
Feb 20, 2015
Cat lovers in New York City have rejoiced since mid-December, when Meow Parlour, the city’s first cat cafe, opened its doors.
For the uninitiated, lets explain what a cat cafe is. It’s not a place where you take your own cat to hang out and have coffee. It’s not a restaurant that has cats on the menu. It is a place where you can enjoy the companionship of cats while sipping on coffee and munching on a cat-shaped macaron.
- Tokyo boss arrested for allegedly assaulting employee with a stun gun for being late1
- Japanese tourist gets lost in Windsor Castle, wanders into Queen’s private rooms2
- Miso soup anime ads are so touching they’ll warm your heart as the soup warms your tummy3
- Visiting Osaka’s Umeda Sky Building, one of the “Top 20 Buildings in the world”4
- Tokyo ramen shops trying serving “boob ramen,” ends up looking like “phallic ramen” instead5
- Six outdoor Japanese hot springs you can visit right now (with Google Street View)6
- Shipwreck of massive Japanese battleship discovered after more than 70 years 【Video】7
- Japan’s newest idol group, KBG84, hails from Okinawa, has an average age of 848
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby9
- In Neo Tokyo this weekend? Check out the bizarre “Bartkira” project exhibition10
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby1
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens2
- ISIS-inspired gang kills middle school boy: “We’ll cut off your head while you’re still alive!”3
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】4
- Fan film ‘Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope’ – two years in the making, but well worth the wait【Video】5
- Japanese netizens rediscover “Full Armor Game Boy,” question how the ’90s defined portability6
- Online seller pulls cruel trick, sells pencil lead photographed alongside Nintendo 3DS XL7
- “Hell on Earth” as Tokyo subway station floods with sewage8
- Creepy news: Estimate a complete stranger’s breast size with this new plastic folder!9
- Revenge bento show us it’s a dish best served cold (and boxed) with insults and hidden chilies10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】3
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens4
- English hot spring manners poster is so thorough, even Japanese people are learning from it5
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】6
- Keanu Reeves tries to be a tourist in Akihabara, gets mobbed by fans instead7
- Man beats up woman for not looking like “goddess” he spent thousands of dollars to meet8
- Someone finally built the massive, room-filling Dragon Ball Z diorama the world deserved9
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts10
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing6
- Historic Kyoto temple first in Japan to offer gay weddings7
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】8
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones9
- Korean illustrator gives Western fairy tales a whimsical Eastern makeover【Pics】10
- Six outdoor Japanese hot springs you can visit right now (with Google Street View)
- Shipwreck of massive Japanese battleship discovered after more than 70 years 【Video】
- Japan’s newest idol group, KBG84, hails from Okinawa, has an average age of 84
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby
- In Neo Tokyo this weekend? Check out the bizarre “Bartkira” project exhibition
- Don’t know whether to buy diamonds or candy for White Day? Sweet Jewels could be just the trick!
- Suntory encourages responsible drinking with bizarre guide to declining party invitations
- Strapped for cash, 1,400-year-old Kyoto shrine leasing part of its grounds for condo development
- The 11 Cat Islands of Japan 【Photos】
- Masked drummer brings the heat to our favorite video game music
- Korean MMORPG redefines character customization with adjustable wrinkles, bone structure
- Nissan unveils “smart BBQ” car that comes with a drone, karaoke machine, mist shower…and a grill
- Hefty is the new sexy! Spanish artist does big things with Photoshop, upsizes celebrities