Recent news of Paul McCartney canceling his Out There Japan Tour 2014 has Japanese fans a little upset, not because they won’t be able to hear “Eight Days a Week” in person, but because of just how often the singer/songwriter/legend doesn’t follow through. Even Paul admits how cool everyone’s been about the canceled concerts, stating, “I’d like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding.” Because who can blame the guy, when you’re sick you’re sick, right? And tickets are being refunded, the most expensive of which cost a whopping 100,000 yen (US$984). But it isn’t his sudden illness that has fans outraged, it’s a single photo that’s been floating around on the internet, showing that Paul has canceled on the country of Japan 51 percent of the time.
Apr 23, 2014
As the saying goes, a friend in need is a friend indeed. It is often in adversity that we realize who our true friends are, discover true love and learn to treasure the important people in our lives.
A young Taiwanese couple recently tied the knot, but their wedding ceremony wasn’t held at a church or some romantic venue, it was held at a hospital instead because the bride is a cancer patient with less than two months to live. True love exists, folks!
Apr 22, 2014
Recent reports of popular celebrities embroiled in illicit love affairs may have caused many Chinese netizens to lose hope in love, but a devoted couple on “iDream of China”, a television program that gives common people a chance to fulfil their wildest dreams, touched the nation with their heart-wrenching story and rekindled the people’s hope in true love.
Get your tissues ready because the story of Ying Feng, a 23-year-old diagnosed with a fourth-degree brain tumor, and her loving husband is likely to bring a tear to your eye.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 10, 2013
The only thing worse than catching a cold is feeling like you’re about to catch a cold. That achiness you can feel in your bones, followed by dread, worry and the thought, “I’m too busy to get sick now!” It’s enough to make you sick on the spot.
But fear not, the grandmothers of Japan have a plethora of home remedies that’ll get you feeling better in no time. Some may be little more than old wives’ tales, but when you’re feeling under the weather, why not drink hot onion water or smear ginger on your forehead. It actually might be good for what ails you.
With the country growing at an unprecedented rate and many still living below the poverty line, it is inevitable that China should struggle to control the quality of the foodstuffs it manufactures. With a reputation for being cheap and of inferior quality, Chinese exports are often unfairly labelled as potentially harmful or unappetising, and many in neighboring countries will snub Chinese-produced consumables found on supermarket shelves purely because of where they come from. But when developed countries rely so much on cheap Chinese labor and exports, one sometimes has to wonder whether this is partly a problem of our own making.
Of course, Japan rarely sees eye-to-eye with China, so it is perhaps unsurprising that it should focus on the negative when it comes to news of this kind. This week in fact, website Madame Riri published an article outlining 10 cases of food products from China that have caused scandal in recent years. After reading their list, though, even we can’t help but feel a little concerned for the wellbeing of the world’s next superpower.
Nov 23, 2012
Throughout the world, Japan’s space-age toilets are about as well-known as Godzilla, sushi and Pokémon. Heated seats, massage functions, pressurised water sprays for rears and lady gardens alike; those toilet seats have everything a visitor to the bathroom could ever dream of, and, for me at least, there are few things in life more pleasing than opening a bathroom door to be greeted by a high-tech toilet springing to life and begging me to sit on it to do my dirty business.
According to health experts, though, those cleansing water jets may not be so good for our rear ends, and cases of infected colons and rectums (stop laughing at the back) are on the rise.
Apparently, we’re not using our fancy toilets properly!
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”1
- Japanese net users surprised to learn that painfully cute bento was in fact made by a teenage boy2
- Burger Decision 2015! Which crazy Lotteria sandwich will you vote for to make a comeback?3
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine4
- Do clothes make the man or the man make the clothes? Japanese Twitter user tries to find out5
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck6
- Hello Kitty keeping as busy as ever — this time she collaborates with…money itself!7
- Gotta buy ‘em all! Whimsicott Substitute Plush Toys have taken over Pokémon Centers in Japan!8
- Seriously unlucky Chinese man takes an actual arrow to the knee while doing laundry9
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens3
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time4
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin5
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China6
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo7
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough8
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular9
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck
- Hello Kitty keeping as busy as ever — this time she collaborates with…money itself!
- Gotta buy ‘em all! Whimsicott Substitute Plush Toys have taken over Pokémon Centers in Japan!
- Seriously unlucky Chinese man takes an actual arrow to the knee while doing laundry
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one
- “Business Nail” – the latest trend among young Japanese businessmen looking to get ahead
- Web series’ anime arsenal expands with real-life version of Kill la Kill’s Scissor Blade【Video】
- Learn how to drink with Japanese people in this funny and informative YouTube series【Videos】
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens
- “I don’t have an Asian fetish” and Other Sh*t Foreigners Living in Japan Say
- World’s largest internet hub in Aomori?