Recent news of Paul McCartney canceling his Out There Japan Tour 2014 has Japanese fans a little upset, not because they won’t be able to hear “Eight Days a Week” in person, but because of just how often the singer/songwriter/legend doesn’t follow through. Even Paul admits how cool everyone’s been about the canceled concerts, stating, “I’d like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding.” Because who can blame the guy, when you’re sick you’re sick, right? And tickets are being refunded, the most expensive of which cost a whopping 100,000 yen (US$984). But it isn’t his sudden illness that has fans outraged, it’s a single photo that’s been floating around on the internet, showing that Paul has canceled on the country of Japan 51 percent of the time.
Apr 23, 2014
As the saying goes, a friend in need is a friend indeed. It is often in adversity that we realize who our true friends are, discover true love and learn to treasure the important people in our lives.
A young Taiwanese couple recently tied the knot, but their wedding ceremony wasn’t held at a church or some romantic venue, it was held at a hospital instead because the bride is a cancer patient with less than two months to live. True love exists, folks!
Apr 22, 2014
Recent reports of popular celebrities embroiled in illicit love affairs may have caused many Chinese netizens to lose hope in love, but a devoted couple on “iDream of China”, a television program that gives common people a chance to fulfil their wildest dreams, touched the nation with their heart-wrenching story and rekindled the people’s hope in true love.
Get your tissues ready because the story of Ying Feng, a 23-year-old diagnosed with a fourth-degree brain tumor, and her loving husband is likely to bring a tear to your eye.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Oct 10, 2013
The only thing worse than catching a cold is feeling like you’re about to catch a cold. That achiness you can feel in your bones, followed by dread, worry and the thought, “I’m too busy to get sick now!” It’s enough to make you sick on the spot.
But fear not, the grandmothers of Japan have a plethora of home remedies that’ll get you feeling better in no time. Some may be little more than old wives’ tales, but when you’re feeling under the weather, why not drink hot onion water or smear ginger on your forehead. It actually might be good for what ails you.
With the country growing at an unprecedented rate and many still living below the poverty line, it is inevitable that China should struggle to control the quality of the foodstuffs it manufactures. With a reputation for being cheap and of inferior quality, Chinese exports are often unfairly labelled as potentially harmful or unappetising, and many in neighboring countries will snub Chinese-produced consumables found on supermarket shelves purely because of where they come from. But when developed countries rely so much on cheap Chinese labor and exports, one sometimes has to wonder whether this is partly a problem of our own making.
Of course, Japan rarely sees eye-to-eye with China, so it is perhaps unsurprising that it should focus on the negative when it comes to news of this kind. This week in fact, website Madame Riri published an article outlining 10 cases of food products from China that have caused scandal in recent years. After reading their list, though, even we can’t help but feel a little concerned for the wellbeing of the world’s next superpower.
Nov 23, 2012
Throughout the world, Japan’s space-age toilets are about as well-known as Godzilla, sushi and Pokémon. Heated seats, massage functions, pressurised water sprays for rears and lady gardens alike; those toilet seats have everything a visitor to the bathroom could ever dream of, and, for me at least, there are few things in life more pleasing than opening a bathroom door to be greeted by a high-tech toilet springing to life and begging me to sit on it to do my dirty business.
According to health experts, though, those cleansing water jets may not be so good for our rear ends, and cases of infected colons and rectums (stop laughing at the back) are on the rise.
Apparently, we’re not using our fancy toilets properly!
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters1
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer2
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours3
- Stand back, kids! 64-year-old enka singer Aki Yashiro completely nails cover of Evangelion theme4
- Check out these amazing Ghibli-inspired tattoos5
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence6
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile9
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make2
- Budding Japanese student artists impress us with chalkboard works of art3
- Japanese sleep experts say we’ve been using our blankets wrong, help us hate winter a little less4
- Controversial pick-up artist breaks silence as campaign against him continues5
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world6
- Cat got your tongue? 10 unusual Japanese phrases that use the word ‘cat’7
- The familiar looks of “once-in-four-thousand-year” Chinese idol have Japanese netizens talking8
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence9
- We Order Whopper With 1050 Bacon Strips, Struggle to Level Comically Huge Burger10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection
- Japanese netizens show love for “English Toast” which is neither English nor Toast
- From mermaids to monsters: The taxidermy mummies on show in Japan【Photos】
- A vision of the future? We can’t take our eyes off Shimizu Corporation’s “Ocean Spiral” design
- 83-year-old retiree arrested for selling explicit pre-war photos online
- Japanese baseball fans disappointed by filthy conditions visiting Major Leaguers left dugout in
- How long does Kagoshima need to convince us to visit? With this video, just two minutes
- Filled to bursting point? Rush-hour crush on Tokyo subway leaves train with broken window