We are well aware of the lengths Apple fanatics go to for their devices, and while waiting in line for 48 hours may make for some precious memories, one fan’s devotion gave rise to something quite tangible and utilitarian. Whether you have small hands or inherited stubby fingers like Lisa Simpson, check out the clever case Japanese Twitterer and sound engineer Gusoh came up with so that he could still easily manipulate the larger iPhone 6 with one hand! That leaves the other five digits free for, say, coffee or an iPod Touch? (I’m sure you’ve seen these busy people on the train, right?)
Previously, we wrote about KFC Japan’s deep-fried celebration of “Colonel Day,” involving a variety of absurd, yet incredible, chicken-shaped computer accessories, like a drumstick mouse, a keyboard with chicken keys, and a chicken USB memory stick. The company even trotted out a pair of stylish fried chicken earrings.
They’ve unveiled a couple more items since then, including this oversized fried chickendrumstick iPhone 5s case (even the Colonel is laughing, asking, “Why is it so big?”).
Jun 25, 2014
What’s popular in Japan? You probably wouldn’t be able to guess. Take Nameko for example. They are mushroom characters that are actually quite cute, but you end up not being able to look at real mushrooms the same again. There are also Mameshiba which are a series of bean characters meant to look like dogs. One of the biggest crazes sweeping the nation right now is Funassyi: a mascot character based on a pear that jumps, wiggles and screams. The Japanese love it!
So it’s really no surprise that a giant isopod cell phone case was made, completely sold out, gained a cult following and people demanded more of them. The prayers of those die-hard fans have been answered and the giant isopod iPhone case has returned and better yet, it now comes in a stunning gold color!
For some reason, giant marine isopods are always popping up in the news in Japan. Earlier this year we learned of the death of the lovingly named “Isopod No.1″ at Toba Aquarium, which passed away after going five years without eating. Back in March, lucky diners had a chance to crunch down on the tiny exoskeletons of moderately sized isopods in what was surely a dinner from some twisted aquarium worker’s nightmare.
Now, Japan’s fascination with the giant isopod continues in the form of yet another iPhone case. But this one is just a little more realistic (and a whole lot creepier) because it was made using the carcass of isopod No.1 as a model.
Nov 7, 2012
On the eve of a large-scale natural disaster, preparedness is everything. Sure smartphones can keep us in contact with the rest of world when traditional communication networks are down, but Twitter won’t help you much when food supplies start running low.
That’s where the “Survival Senbei iPhone 5 Case” comes in. This special case is made entirely from Japanese brown rice and salt, baked into a crispy golden-brown senbei rice cracker that fits snugly around your iPhone 5.
An iPhone that you can eat in times of crisis: this must be the future that Steve Jobs envisioned for the device! You just might want to avoid walking around with it your pocket…
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!1
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”2
- Anime-loving mum takes kyara-ben to a new level with these well-drawn anime bentos3
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping6
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile7
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video8
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’9
- Laser-cut, 360-degree “book” lets you bring Mt. Fuji into your home10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters4
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world5
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick6
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!7
- Live-action Attack on Titan posters show new characters and weapons, plus one huge absence8
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?9
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Just a bunch of adorable cats riding on trains in Japan10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- Laser-cut, 360-degree “book” lets you bring Mt. Fuji into your home
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- Online survey reveals the types of guys elementary school girls DON’T want to date
- Pretty Russian sports fan lets loose animal roar to support her team, terrify humanity 【Video】
- Question reveals how foreigners feel about speaking Japanese, getting English in return
- Doting owner builds cosy kotatsu for cats, faces the sting of feline rejection【Photos】
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours
- Bonsai treehouses look like something out of Howl’s Moving Castle 【Photos】
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick