What better way to brighten up a rainy day than with a cute girl shielding you from the downpour? And if you can’t find a girl to hold your umbrella, then maybe a girl on your umbrella is the next best thing…
After mastering Guitar Hero years back, I was left with an empty feeling. I had taken my plastic 4-button guitar controller out on the street to perform One by Metallica but no one paid any attention to me. In fact, passersby seemed to be intentionally avoiding eye contact.
This is why I was excited to find Rocksmith would be released in Japan on October 11. The game that actually lets you practice a real guitar in a fun way so you can walk away from it a better person with an entertaining skill!
However, my excitement took a bit of a hit when I saw the first Japanese commercial for it.
Tired of listening to the same, soulless car navigation systems while you drive? Wouldn’t you rather listen to someone a little cuter while you’re trying to track down your nearest Guns ‘n’ Ammo store? Wouldn’t it be fun if your favourite animated high-school girls could be the voice of sense and direction!?
If you’re a K-On! fan, you’re in luck- a new portable car navigation system has just arrived in stores, ready to drive you home and everyone else up the wall. Read More
One fun way to see what anime or game series are currently popular with kids and otaku in Japan is to visit an arcade and take a look at the prizes up for grabs in the crane machines, or UFO catchers, as they’re often called in Japanese.
Unlike North America, arcade culture is still going strong in Japan and UFO catchers are one of the main attractions. Always found on the first floor of arcades, these machines are stocked with the latest limited-edition figurines and plushies of popular characters, many of which can only be acquired as UFO catcher prizes (or on Amazon at obscene prices).
Japanese toy company Banpresto has announced their newest lineup of CRANEKING arcade-exclusive prizes, available this October. Check what toys are hot on the Japanese arcade scene below!
A cover of “Hey Jude” performed by Aki Toyosaki, a Japanese singer and voice actress best known for her role as Yui in the anime K-On!, has become the joke of the internet after a video of the performance was uploaded to YouTube earlier this year.
Toyosaki is an avid Beatles fan and in the video, which is taken from the DVD of her first solo tour “love your live,” she appears to singing her heart out in tribute to the band.
Unfortunately, that enthusiasm only seems to amplify Toyosaki’s ‘cutsy’ high-pitched voice and thick Japanese accent, which, to the ears of most of the internet, make for an unforgivably disastrous cover of the beloved Beatles classic.
With the successful release of a feature length film in December 2011, Japanese anime K-On! is enjoying broader popularity than ever before.
The release of the film was accompanied by waves of new merchandise and even a tie-up with convenience store Lawson.
Yet there is one product series in particular that has been gaining attention for seeming to challenge fans to prove their devotion and enthusiasm for K-On!: full color T-shirts designed with one of the main character’s face occupying the entire front side.
Attention K-ON! fans: the Lawson convenience store near Universal Studios Japan (USJ) in Osaka has undergone a K-ONplete makeover to celebrate the release of the K-ON! movie next month. Read More
- [Quiz] How Well Do You Know Your Japanese Hand Gestures?1
- Apologizing Like a Japanese Woman: A Practical Guide2
- American chef perfectly captures the scrumptious soul of Japanese cuisine 【Video】3
- 12 culinary delights from Japan that you can find in New York City4
- 92-year-old grandmother creates gorgeous traditional Japanese toys5
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles6
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!7
- Biker/Photographer gives Google Street View car taste of its own medicine8
- Pantene Philippines calls out sexism in the workplace with clever ad9
- Why is Japan Turning Blue at Night? More and More Streets Being Draped in Peacefully Bizarre Azure Lights10
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China1
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】2
- Nine unusual products from Japanese designer, Oki Sato3
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour4
- The last photo of faithful dog Hachiko breaks our hearts5
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer6
- Girl runs away from home to stop her parents from buying a Japanese car7
- Subway mini skirt peeping tom found innocent8
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director9
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles10
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】1
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】2
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs3
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】4
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!5
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China6
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong7
- Beautiful Chinese boy “traps” the hearts of Korean netizens 【Photos】8
- The amazing disaster relief equipment of Japan’s Self Defense Force9
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right10
- Before and After: 31 Startling Images of Plastic Surgery in Korea 【Photo Album】1
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs2
- What the hell is this monster?? 【Updated】3
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong4
- Chinese designer depicts Eastern vs. Western human behaviors in clever pictographs5
- Thinking about plastic surgery? This ad may make you laugh – or it could make you think twice!6
- Meet the new model set to make manga artists’ lives a whole lot easier7
- 10 things Japan gets awesomely right8
- When Two Amazing Worlds Collide: Welcome to the World of Cat Sushi!9
- 45 adorable pictures of animals acting human 【Photos】10
- 13 surprising Japanese translations of American movie titles
- Your holiday (counterfeit) gift-buying guide!
- Biker/Photographer gives Google Street View car taste of its own medicine
- Pantene Philippines calls out sexism in the workplace with clever ad
- Why is Japan Turning Blue at Night? More and More Streets Being Draped in Peacefully Bizarre Azure Lights
- A Simple Approach to Understanding Women: a Japanese Guide
- Fresh sushi for night owls at Osaka fish market’s midnight restaurant
- From “Love Princess” to “Silent Hill”: Awesome Japanese prefecture names changed into English
- Live-action Attack on Titan gets release date, new director
- Men’s butts are shaped like green peppers, according to this butt illustration guide
- Cross-dressing man in women-only train car causes controversy in Japan
- Witness Park Seung-mo’s wild works of wire wizardry
- Cute credit cards could send you to the slammer