In Japan, omuraisu (rice omelet) is a ketchup-flavored fried rice wrapped inside a thin piece of cooked egg. It’s a popular yoshoku (Japanese-style western cuisine), much like other favorites such as beef stew (beef shichu) or fried prawn (ebi furai). And while rice omelets can be found on the menus of many eateries across Japan, including practically all family restaurant chains, we’re sure you’ll see that there’s something quite special about the omuraisu in the picture above that was recently shared by Twitter user erikichi0115. Yes, the omelet has been infused, it seems almost magically, with pretty white stars. And the picture has taken the Japanese twitterverse by storm, making everyone wonder how in the world the star-spangled omelet was created!
- Philip Kendall
Sep 23, 2012
What with the recent troubles and disputes in China concerning the Senkaku islands, and with many of the fervent anti-Japanese demonstrations often escalating into violence, Japanese both at home and abroad are understandably feeling a little delicate right now.
Japanese-owned stores and factories in China have borne the brunt of many nationalists’ anger, suffering considerable damage to property, and a number of Japanese businesses with locations in China are incurring significant losses.
With this in mind, we here at RocketNews24 are doing our bit to cheer Japan up and get back some of that lost pride.
As well as buying plenty of Japanese-produced goods to give the economy a helping-hand, we’ve decided to add a dash of patriotism to our plates and bring you a recipe for possibly the most patriotic, yet easy to make, dish ever: Land of the Rising Sun Omu-Raisu (omelette rice).
So grab a frying pan, put on your apron, and let’s cook up a little cheer for Japan! Read More
- Ten things we learned at USJ: A muggle’s guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter1
- Is it safe to dance yet? Uncertainty continues to reign supreme in Japan’s club scene2
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked3
- 35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)4
- It’s BAAAACK! The Tower Cheeseburger from Lotteria — but for ONE DAY only!5
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls6
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking7
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares8
- Worried about McDonald’s chicken in Japan? Don’t be! Free McNuggets ease your fears!9
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls1
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters2
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?3
- Cat man from Kyushu walks nine cats in a stroller, draws crowds in Tokyo4
- Awesome Air Umbrella from China keeps you dry with blasts of air5
- Is the New Nintendo 3DS worth the purchase? Early adopters in Japan share their thoughts6
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku7
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?8
- Korean activists upset over plans to sew the anuses of river rats shut, make them eat each other9
- Beautiful old footage shows “God of Judo” Kyuzo Mifune gracefully defeat young challengers【Video】10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls5
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】6
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”7
- 10 things foreigners do that Japanese people find amusing8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Thai schoolgirl uniforms poised to edge out traditional Japanese ones in Japan?10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls
- Chinese woman’s catty comeback to Korean colleague gets netizens talking
- This set of stairs at Kitakata Station really cares
- Worried about McDonald’s chicken in Japan? Don’t be! Free McNuggets ease your fears!
- Why does Engrish happen in Japan?
- Fukuoka’s “Wisteria Tunnel” delights visitors with pretty pastel petals
- Election time or erection time? Taiwanese political ad features sexy bicyclist, and that’s about it
- Celebrate New Years in Pokémon style — with a monster ball filled with traditional osechi food!
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku
- Trending on Twitter, girls draw themselves as dashing high school boys【Photos】
- Transform a sushi mat into a stylish makeup tool organizer in just a few steps!
- Irezumi: Getting tattooed in Japan【Photos】
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea