What did you see when you looked at the above picture? There’s two potential options and only one of them reflects reality, although both give an insight into how dirty or clean minded you are.
Sep 24, 2014
This “disappearing picture” is a neat optical illusion we’ve never seen before. If you stare at it long enough, it disappears! Now to me, that sounds suspiciously like the time during my first year of middle school when the teacher sent gullible little me to ask the teacher next door for a “long stand”. (Incidentally, did you know the l’s are silent? The correct pronunciation is goo-ible.)
But I digress. This disappearing picture trick is pretty cool, and it really does work! All you need is your eyes and a little patience.
Apologies for the headaches the above GIF may induce but it’s an interesting little example of not completely known human biology and currently all over the internet here in Japan. If it’s not spinning now then just click on the image to start. Once the animation gets into full swing you should be able to see some colors flickering around with those black lines.
Now, what if I told you that other people see different colors than those you do? Moreover, what if I told your there aren’t any colors at all, and it’s just your mind playing tricks on you?
Before you go shoving a pencil in your ear to punish your brain for such trickery, let’s take a moment to see what’s going on here.
Feb 21, 2014
We previously introduced you to the daring and rather saucy reviews posted by Korean online shoppers, but it seems even customer reviews can’t be trusted every time. An ingenious netizen in Korea posts product reviews and photos of herself holding each item she’s providing feedback on, which in itself is nothing surprising, but there’s a twist. She doesn’t even own the product.
If you’re thinking that she’s just using one borrowed from a friend or perhaps getting handy with Photoshop, think again.
Here’s how she does it.
Let’s talk about boobs! It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that a large percentage of the world’s population is obsessed with boobs. And that applies to both men and women. Bosoms of all sizes are wonderful and deserve to be loved regardless of shape and size, but at the same time, we can’t deny that the entertainment and advertising industry often gives us the image that bigger is sexier. Ladies, if you’ve ever secretly wished that you had fuller assets, here’s an astonishing item that will instantly fulfill your deepest desires!
Here we have the impossible staircase, which violates the laws of physics and makes a mockery of basic common sense by looping back on itself, so that when you climb its steps, you endlessly ascend. These are the stairs that never end, they just go on and on, my friend. Think of the possibilities- like a mouse in a wheel, you can StairMaster up or down forever and never get anywhere.
First envisaged by Lionel and Roger Penrose in 1959 as a “continuous staircase”, and popularized by Escher’s famous lithograph, ‘Ascending and Descending,’ the incredible illusion of these endless stairs has been created in three-dimensional space by architect Rafael Nelson Aboganda at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Is this for real? Watch the clip below, laugh at people’s confusion, and decide for yourself!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 31, 2012
Take a look at this picture. Who do you see? If you see Marilyn Monroe, you may be shortsighted.
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】1
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!2
- 252 of Japan’s favorite animated gifs3
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”4
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so5
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares6
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile7
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’8
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video9
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping10
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours1
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】2
- Why almost all Japanese people hate root beer3
- A Ghibli mystery solved — the identity of exotic looking food in Spirited Away revealed!4
- Yamanashi zoo’s roly-poly resident raccoon is ridiculously round, remarkably cute5
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters6
- Turn an ordinary balloon into a smartphone case in seconds with this neat trick7
- Ghibli background artist Naohisa Inoue’s painting technique is out of this world8
- Does the way you cross your arms say anything about your personality? Japan thinks so9
- Can you spot the problem that led to the recall of this otherwise cute Japanese New Year’s card?10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”2
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises5
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit6
- Japan discovers awesome cheese snack that takes just one ingredient and two minutes to make7
- One Piece manga sends off Naruto with a classy secret message8
- Clever Japanese pet owners find perfect cat beds…at IKEA! 【Photos】9
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher3
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea10
- Artist creates “PokeMonstrosities” that are the stuff of nightmares
- Yokohama restaurant serves fried axolotl, along with giant isopod, camel, and crocodile
- Shimotsuki Matsuri: The extraordinary winter festival that inspired Ghibli’s ‘Spirited Away’
- Zelda hero Link’s other blade, the Fierce Deity Sword, brought to life in awesome video
- The newer, cheaper Kakureya II: The perfect secret fort/box for studying, drinking, or napping
- Deal of the day – Give this hamster’s Vine video six seconds, and he’ll give you a huge smile
- Creepy or cute? Feel the Panda Train’s intense gaze before sightseeing in resort town Shirahama
- Tokyo adding free Wi-Fi to 143 subway stations for foreign travelers
- Canada-based artist stuns with new realistic take on Naruto characters
- Visit Japan without ever leaving home with these eight beautiful videos
- Scope out which love hotel to take your next date to right now in Google Street View
- Japanese dictionary removes heteronormative definitions of love and sex