A fridge with four delicious, thirsty-quenching Pepsis at the forefront? Think again! One of these things is not like the other, and we bet you had to take a second look to figure out exactly what was amiss.
While companies around the world have made all sorts of different versions of cola, the distinctive taste remains unchanged. So where exactly does the tart, sweet taste of your favorite soda come from? Thanks to a recent visit to a cola producer, a writer on Daily Portal Z found out more about the soft drink and shared his discovery with Japanese netizens, who were somewhat surprised at cola’s humble (and druggy) beginnings, but were left wondering about Coke’s secret recipe.
Living in Japan, it’s easy to miss the range of potato chip flavors available in one’s home country. Out here, the only flavors you can expect to get are salt, and consume (basically BBQ) with the occasional green onion flavor.
Never shy of a challenge, though, since last August China has had a new hit on its hands with a new local flavor that can’t help but surprise: Pepsi & Chicken!
On 31 October, the long-standing 59-year partnership between Pepsi Co and Thailand’s leading bottling company Serm Suk came to a close. As a result, Serm Suk launched a surprise cola blitz on the competition with a 300 million baht (US$9.8M) campaign for their own “est Cola”.
Since 2 November est Cola has set up strongholds in most major supermarkets and convenience stores across the nation. Also, in the short span of a month they were able to breach into what is considered by cola military analysts as the key position for victory – fast food soda fountain machines.
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Nov 9, 2012
Pepsi will release a new cola in Japan that contains “fat-blockers” to help prevent the absorption of fat in the body. The secret to Pepsi Special’s fat-blocking power is dextrin, a fiber molecule that is said to prevent the digestive system from absorbing fat.
Oct 2, 2012
Anyone who frequents the Japanese convenience store beverage case has probably noticed that some bottled drinks occasionally come packaged with collectible figurine, some of which double for actual bottle caps.
“Japanese people love figurines, so what?” you say. Well did you know that the first character to ever appear atop a Japanese bottle cap was the thirst-quenching superhero, Pepsiman?
Say it with me now: ♪Pepsimaaaan!♪
Thirsty? Pepsi and Gundam Join Forces to Deliver New Drink That Will Not Only Quench Your Thirst but Entertain Your Eyes!
Jun 28, 2012
We’ve previously reported to you on Gundam-themed products that you can wear (without looking geeky), or eat in the form of green tofu. And now, there’s going to be a Gundam product that you can drink! Fans of the popular Japanese anime will be delighted to hear that a new soda featuring Gundam images will be coming out in early August, and judging from the picture that has been released, the cans look awesome! Read More
Pepsi Highlights Underground Worldwide Fruit Trend with Their Newest Designer Flavor, “Salty Watermelon”
- Master Blaster
May 30, 2012
The newest in a line of seasonal limited edition Pepsi flavors has been announced by Japanese distributor Suntory. Set to debut on 24 July is the red-colored Pepsi: Salty Watermelon. Hopefully this is as awesome as Pepsi: Pink was.
But after reading the announcement I had to do a double-take. The watermelon’s salty?
Summer is a competitive time for beverage companies, who duke it out to get those thirsty, hot customers. Actually, manufacturers (as well as regular people) are still contending this year with a lean, electricity-short summer, a season when the demand for power understandably goes up. Amid all these circumstances, those of you who yearn for an unsweet soft drink should have a crack at ‘Pepsi Black’, coming mid-June.
- The top 10 instances when Japanese people feel thankful to be Japanese1
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea2
- Kabe-zubo! Kabe-zun! The unexpected, highly intense versions of Kabe-don are here!【Photos】3
- Three reasons to sleep with a huggy pillow (that have nothing to do with an anime crush)4
- The awesome Soccer Samurai is back, and this time he’s fighting ninjas in Manchester 【Video】5
- The ultimate spork that’s just for eating ramen6
- Tokyo Disney Resorts to introduce plethora of new attractions for 20157
- See Studio Ghibli film characters recreated in 3-D perfection at special exhibit in Seoul8
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan9
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- We troll a scammer online, make him wish he’d never tried to take our money3
- Japanese women reveal their methods of raising a guy’s bedroom technique4
- Japanese illustrated cookbook teaches you how to cook “mother and daughter”【Photos】5
- The ugly truth of goukon, Japan’s group blind dates6
- Tokyo hamburger vending machine has a human touch7
- Chinese cadet is beautiful enough to make you want to join the army8
- Ghibli anime inspires beautiful cosplay from across the seas 【Photos】9
- The 30 most ‘romantic’ lines that women want to hear (well, according to the Japanese internet)10
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star1
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls2
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady3
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea4
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!5
- Scholars confirm first discovery of Japanese sword from master bladesmith Masamune in 150 years6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- Japanese actor’s unfortunate choice of t-shirt has net users amused, doubting his English ability8
- You’re in for a big surprise if you fall for this bikini wearing DJ’s sexy poster!【Photos】9
- Chibatman called in by police, receives their official approval10
- Nailed it! The shape of your nails may reveal the type of person you are!1
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】2
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star3
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls4
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later5
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons6
- How to make epic pancakes with your Japanese rice cooker7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady9
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】10
- The ultimate spork that’s just for eating ramen
- Tokyo Disney Resorts to introduce plethora of new attractions for 2015
- See Studio Ghibli film characters recreated in 3-D perfection at special exhibit in Seoul
- Teen job hunter learns: Do not screw around at an interview with McDonald’s Japan
- 100 things to do in Japan in 100 seconds 【Video】
- Tokyo ice cream stand’s colossal eight-flavor cones might be the biggest we’ve ever seen
- Amid ongoing protests in Hong Kong, Chinese officials look for terrorists… in bird rectums
- Lifehack: Transform a Starbucks paper bag into a fully functional wallet!
- Chinese writer thinks Doraemon is a sinister affront to China
- US Department of State announces lucky winners of green card lottery
- Fans take love of a certain anime character to creepy heights with real life birthday cakes, etc.
- Not all of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime accessory line is metallic, but it’s all awesome
- Time to get wet: Underwater photos of girls in sailor suits and… plastic exoskeletons?