Nail art is something that’s increasingly popular among Japan’s ladies due to the fact that it’s an easy way to express your individual style. As well as DIY-ing it at home with 100 yen store nail polishes and nail stickers, you can also get reasonably affordable yet super-durable gel manicures in a salon which are set by UV light and last for at least a month. Nail art trends tend to come and go depending on the season and whatever’s in style, but occasionally there’s a “boom” for a certain kind of design, with more and more people jumping on the bandwagon. First came anime nail art, and now it’s the turn of traditional Japanese performance art, Kabuki!
Another World Cup has come and gone, and diehard soccer fans will have to wait another four years until their national teams will have another chance for glory. While many of the successful teams in the tournament depended heavily on star players such as Argentina’s Messi or Portugal’s Ronaldo, it’s undeniable that the all-around teamwork of Germany was instrumental in their first-place finish. Another possible contributing factor to their victory was…sex?!
As both English and Japanese-language news agencies have reported, all the teams participating in the Cup had different policies regarding their players and sexual intercourse during the tournament. Furthermore, all of the teams that advanced to the quarterfinals had policies that allowed sex, while all of the teams which specifically forbade sex during the tournament were eliminated in the group stage or the round of 16.
Funnily enough, the German team was one of the groups that allowed its players to engage in some adult fun during down time…
Mar 6, 2014
While North America has had the PlayStation 4 for a few months now, Japan had to wait until February 22 to pick up the (arguably) hottest console in the world. Now that the long wait is over, Japanese gamers can hunker down and get some serious gaming done!
And, thanks to the PlayStation 4’s snazzy new streaming technology, they don’t even need to leave the house to catch a live idol show! This Thursday (March 6) at 6 pm JST, the game-centric group Game Girls will give their debut performance–and be the first to stream a live show via PlayStation 4! Because…umm…well, why the hell not, right?
Jan 10, 2014
Shiro-A have been around for over 10 years now, but it’s surprising how few people have actually heard of them. Combining technology, music, dance and comedy to create visually spectacular shows, they continue to wow audiences all over the world, and the snippets we have for you today are bound to leave you wanting more.
The group members perform in front of (or was it behind!?) a series of screens, onto which numerous graphics are projected while live DJs create an accompanying soundtrack. The performances always begin relatively simply, but soon explode into what we can only describe as perfectly choreographed visual chaos, with pumping beats accompanying splashes of colour as group members appear to be physically manipulating the digitally mapped images in real-time.
Be sure to check these guys out!
Jun 25, 2013
After Japanese “performer” Miu GaGa’s laughably over-enthusiastic “dance” appearance on America’s Got Talent, Japan was in desperate need of a representative to show Las Vegas – where the show is based – and America at large that many Japanese, in fact, can dance. And as it happens, a handful of them can even literally defy the laws of physics when they do it.
Dec 11, 2012
As the Wii U (finally) made its Japanese debut on 8 December amid great fanfare, cosplay, and pizza, reviews sprang up across the internet like so many fireworks going off when Mario enters the little castle at the right time.
So it’s a little surprising to us and many other Nintendo fans when one woman’s review turned to rant at the device’s excruciatingly slow time to switch between some simple screens.
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map1
- J-pop unit Perfume’s innovative projection mapping at US performance creates worldwide buzz2
- Pikachu puts on a suit, hopes hiring managers will hire him as a business formal plushie3
- Must try harder: This crane game in Japan is laughably bad 【Video】4
- Five simple ways to take your curry rice to the next level5
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll6
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”7
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe8
- Adorable Ili pika photographed for the first time in 20 years9
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef10
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines1
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives2
- “We Finns just like it simple”: Net users can’t get enough of Helsinki Metro map3
- Which do you like? Twitter asks if you prefer girls naughty on the inside or outside4
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】5
- Teen whose Frozen chalkboard art went viral gets an art commission before a high school diploma6
- Thai celebrity posts video ranting about Chinese tourists turning orderly line into free-for-all7
- Buyer’s remorse? Not if you’ve got confidence like this girl8
- Japanese women list the top 10 lies they can spot the second a guy says them9
- Public reacts in horror as poster in Shinjuku Station threatens even more exits10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby2
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines3
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】4
- Forget the dress, how many shades of blue do you see here?5
- Japanese netizens stare at red dot for 30 seconds, freak out when they see what happens6
- Half-Japanese beauty chosen to represent Japan at Miss Universe 20157
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives8
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin9
- Get a haircut, a manicure and an eyeful at this saucy salon in Vietnam10
- Marine park offers chance to shake hands with a loveable otter1
- Hachiko, Japan’s most loyal dog, finally reunited with owner in heartwarming new statue in Tokyo2
- Anime pillow responds to your rubbing with moans and groans, gets angry if you get too grabby3
- Literal breastplate will give you a cosplay-ready, anime-class bust in seconds 【Photos】4
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”5
- Cats sitting politely outside Japanese convenience stores restore our faith in felines6
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing7
- What’s your type? Photo of two Japanese models spurs netizens to talk body type 【Poll】8
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】9
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones10
- Six anime songs people are sick of hearing at karaoke, according to new poll
- Japanese girl finds “school love,” but with a surprising “partner”
- A new yuru-kyara from Kyoto you have to see to believe
- Adorable Ili pika photographed for the first time in 20 years
- We love wagyu! We spend an evening learning about (and eating) Japanese beef
- Satisfy all your slicing and dicing needs with this incredibly kawaii kitty kitchen knife
- Japan government hard at work trying to prevent Shibuya Ward approving same-sex marriages
- How do deep-fried frog burgers taste? We find out at Yokohama cafe 【Taste test】
- Looking for a new favourite animal? Take your pick from these six adorable Hokkaido natives
- Inspirations for April Fools’ pranks (you can thank us later)【Photos】
- The latest pet fashion trend in Japan: The scrunchie collar【Photos】
- Ever tried to catch pudding in your mouth after it’s dropped from a fourth-floor balcony? 【Video】
- How washing your itasha makes it look more dirty than clean