Sony Japan has announced that its ultra-slim, “charcoal black” PlayStation 3 console will become that little bit cheaper at the end of this month, following the arrival of a new SKU.
Sep 9, 2013
We have to admit we fell quite in love with Puppeteer‘s visual style from the very first moment we saw it. Although essentially a 2-D platformer, the game is presented as a live puppet show, heavily influenced by Japanese Bunraku puppet theatre, with a healthy dose of pantomime thrown in for good measure, and it looked positively spellbinding.
Due to go on sale both on disc and as a digital download via PlayStation Store in North America and Europe this week, the game was in fact released in Japan on September 5, so naturally we rushed out to grab a copy right away. Three days of platforming, applause and magical scissor snipping later, we’re delighted to say that Puppeteer is not just a superb platformer, but one of PlayStation 3’s most inspired titles to date.
John Stuart Translations
Jul 16, 2013
Withdrawing its previous objection, Sony Corporation has agreed to pay a civil fine of 37.5 million yen (about US$375,000) to British authorities after the 2011 security breach of its online gaming network resulted in the leakage of millions of users’ personal information.
Jun 25, 2013
Even in the age of worldwide launches, the Japanese releases of Western video games and movies are notoriously late, with some titles taking months longer to appear on shop shelves or movie theatre marquees than in other countries. Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us is no exception, although mercifully this time Japanese gamers only had to wait six days longer than the rest of the world to begin their digital adventure, which arrived with the addition of a Japanese voice track for those who abhor subtitles.
One of this year’s most anticipated titles, video game fans the world over have followed The Last of Us‘s development closely, falling on teaser trailers and screen shots like the ravenous mutated humans that populate the game’s devastated urban environments. Finally, some 18 months after its unveiling at 2011’s Spike Video Game Awards, The Last of Us is in gamers’ hands. And, despite its design being Western in almost every respect, Naughty Dog’s tale of survival and emotional turmoil is wowing gamers all over Japan.
The following does not contain spoilers, but those who wish to experience the game with no prior knowledge whatsoever may want to ask a friend to check it out first.
You could be fooled into thinking that this is some enormous new add-on for the current Playstation 3 console, but what you’re actually looking at here is a multi-layered wooden bentō lunchbox sculpted and assembled by a master craftsman for Sony Japan.
Presented to staff at Square Enix and Konami in celebration of 25 years of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear games, these stunning lunchboxes are designed to look identical to Sony’s home console, featuring everything from the ridged top to the tiny silver Playstation logo on the front, all the while leaving plenty of room inside for a delicious lunch.
These things are so beautiful that it almost makes us want to trade in our plastic Playstation 3 for a wooden one…
New Playstation 3 Commercial Packs a Nasty Little Surprise, Small Children Now Wary of Plastic Boxes
Oct 3, 2012
Just before this year’s Tokyo Game Show, Sony lifted the lid on its newly-modelled Playstation 3 console.
While many of us were hoping for even a tiny snippet of news on the next generation of consoles, Sony is still busy squeezing the few last drops of juice out of its multi-million-selling game machine, and, in an effort to cut production costs and shift a few more units before going next-gen, has somehow managed to shave a few more inches off the console’s size, giving it a facelift in the process.
Eager to show off their newest toy, a brand new ad campaign for the console hit Japanese TV late last week, drawing consumers’ attention to the machine’s snazzy new lines and bragging about its smaller size.
And then something a little bit unexpected happens. Read More
- Shocking, snowy commercial is the saddest ad we’ve seen this fall1
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized2
- New app helps you translate Japanese and Chinese offline using smartphone camera3
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】4
- Witness the power a typhoon has over a bag of potato chips in this time-lapse video5
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men6
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room7
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors8
- What’s this Tibetan temple doing in the middle of Japan? We go to find out!9
- Just bought an iPhone 6? Keep it safe and stylish with a Sailor Moon case10
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads1
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked2
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】3
- We still don’t feel bad for you, Emperor: Photos of actors and their historical counterparts4
- Video of guy giving pandas medicine is insanely cute, unless you’re the guy5
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men6
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?7
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】8
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors9
- Worst date ever! Japan’s ladies reveal the top five date ideas to avoid10
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】1
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads4
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing9
- Anime pregnancy tests: The latest otaku meme, and it’s not just for 2-D girls10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】4
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China5
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later6
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons7
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea8
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked9
- Surgery, diet, and sunscreen transform heavy, swarthy Thai boy into slender, tan-free lady10
- Japanese net users stunned by photos of Chinese ethnic minority men
- Check the weather forecast with a cool gadget that recreates the conditions in your living room
- New smartphone game turns your photos of real-world cats into in-game warriors
- What’s this Tibetan temple doing in the middle of Japan? We go to find out!
- Just bought an iPhone 6? Keep it safe and stylish with a Sailor Moon case
- Play Mario Kart on your living room floor (using robots!) with this awesome motion camera system
- When a goddess speaks, you listen…unless she’s telling you to kill someone
- New cafe in Harajuku serves up Pom Pom Purin-shaped cuisine, attracts fans and pop idols alike
- Is that cute girl’s profile pic really anything like her ‘real’ face?
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads
- Clever font sneaks pronunciation guide for English speakers into Japanese katakana characters
- 5 powerful reasons to be a woman in Japan 【Women in Japan Series】
- Photos claim to show difference between Chinese and other travelers, somehow show less and more