Sony Japan has announced that its ultra-slim, “charcoal black” PlayStation 3 console will become that little bit cheaper at the end of this month, following the arrival of a new SKU.
Sep 9, 2013
We have to admit we fell quite in love with Puppeteer‘s visual style from the very first moment we saw it. Although essentially a 2-D platformer, the game is presented as a live puppet show, heavily influenced by Japanese Bunraku puppet theatre, with a healthy dose of pantomime thrown in for good measure, and it looked positively spellbinding.
Due to go on sale both on disc and as a digital download via PlayStation Store in North America and Europe this week, the game was in fact released in Japan on September 5, so naturally we rushed out to grab a copy right away. Three days of platforming, applause and magical scissor snipping later, we’re delighted to say that Puppeteer is not just a superb platformer, but one of PlayStation 3’s most inspired titles to date.
John Stuart Translations
Jul 16, 2013
Withdrawing its previous objection, Sony Corporation has agreed to pay a civil fine of 37.5 million yen (about US$375,000) to British authorities after the 2011 security breach of its online gaming network resulted in the leakage of millions of users’ personal information.
Jun 25, 2013
Even in the age of worldwide launches, the Japanese releases of Western video games and movies are notoriously late, with some titles taking months longer to appear on shop shelves or movie theatre marquees than in other countries. Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us is no exception, although mercifully this time Japanese gamers only had to wait six days longer than the rest of the world to begin their digital adventure, which arrived with the addition of a Japanese voice track for those who abhor subtitles.
One of this year’s most anticipated titles, video game fans the world over have followed The Last of Us‘s development closely, falling on teaser trailers and screen shots like the ravenous mutated humans that populate the game’s devastated urban environments. Finally, some 18 months after its unveiling at 2011’s Spike Video Game Awards, The Last of Us is in gamers’ hands. And, despite its design being Western in almost every respect, Naughty Dog’s tale of survival and emotional turmoil is wowing gamers all over Japan.
The following does not contain spoilers, but those who wish to experience the game with no prior knowledge whatsoever may want to ask a friend to check it out first.
You could be fooled into thinking that this is some enormous new add-on for the current Playstation 3 console, but what you’re actually looking at here is a multi-layered wooden bentō lunchbox sculpted and assembled by a master craftsman for Sony Japan.
Presented to staff at Square Enix and Konami in celebration of 25 years of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear games, these stunning lunchboxes are designed to look identical to Sony’s home console, featuring everything from the ridged top to the tiny silver Playstation logo on the front, all the while leaving plenty of room inside for a delicious lunch.
These things are so beautiful that it almost makes us want to trade in our plastic Playstation 3 for a wooden one…
New Playstation 3 Commercial Packs a Nasty Little Surprise, Small Children Now Wary of Plastic Boxes
Oct 3, 2012
Just before this year’s Tokyo Game Show, Sony lifted the lid on its newly-modelled Playstation 3 console.
While many of us were hoping for even a tiny snippet of news on the next generation of consoles, Sony is still busy squeezing the few last drops of juice out of its multi-million-selling game machine, and, in an effort to cut production costs and shift a few more units before going next-gen, has somehow managed to shave a few more inches off the console’s size, giving it a facelift in the process.
Eager to show off their newest toy, a brand new ad campaign for the console hit Japanese TV late last week, drawing consumers’ attention to the machine’s snazzy new lines and bragging about its smaller size.
And then something a little bit unexpected happens. Read More
- We try the new 1,500-yen Kobe beef burger from Lotteria 【Taste Test】1
- Chinese netizens left reeling after father of slain Japanese hostage apologizes to the public2
- Side-boob Shirt is the useless evolution of last year’s Boob Turtleneck3
- Is Japan’s “Daughter in a box” a myth?【Myth-Busters Series】4
- First Kit Kat Chocolatery shop with cafe opens in Kyoto! New Chocolatery items released too5
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial6
- A visit to Sushi Dai, Japan’s best sushi restaurant according to world travelers7
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one8
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons9
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time2
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin3
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China4
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens5
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough6
- Cross-dressing talent Matsuko Deluxe: AKB opening the Tokyo Olympics “would embarrass Japan”7
- Creating your own custom etched glass is a lot simpler than you think8
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo9
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time7
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces8
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen9
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood2
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin3
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours4
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】5
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school6
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”7
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing8
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises9
- Oysters’ amazing cleaning skills shock Japanese netizens who question their shellfish habit10
- Power of soybeans turns Bean-Throwing Festival into sexy action flick in awesome commercial
- A visit to Sushi Dai, Japan’s best sushi restaurant according to world travelers
- Fushigi Yugi stage adaptation gets cast and schedule as Mysterious Play becomes a real one
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time
- Handy bath pillow doubles as a smartphone holder, might also be giving you a hug
- “Can you help meow-t here?” Twitter user discovers why his bread clock was constantly wrong
- Which one’s your favourite Cid? The evolution of Final Fantasy’s constant character
- Hello Kitty keeping as busy as ever — this time she collaborates with…money itself!
- Does your cereal bowl need some love? Try a Tower of the Sun capsule toy!
- Forget shuriken: 10 stealthy and dangerous ninja tools you didn’t know existed
- Steam Garden: Tokyo’s steampunk festival might be better than a Victorian time machine
- Stay warm with a USB-powered, inflatable hug pillow heated to exactly human body temperature