It’s April Fool’s Day, which means that plenty of anime companies are having a good chuckle with fake announcements, quirky crossovers, and more. Here’s Part 1 of our round-up; check back later in the day for more!
- Michelle Lynn Dinh
Apr 1, 2014
As you might expect, Google is up to its usual pranks in honor of April Fools’ Day, but this time, they’ve created something that’s actually playable that allows any Google Maps user to be the very best, like no one ever was.
The Google Maps Pokemon Challenge was announced in the form of an awesome YouTube video, with specific details on how to gain the coveted title of any 90s kid: Pokémon Master. Brian McClendon, Vice President of Google Maps, explains, “Now using the technology created by the Google Maps team, we’ve prepared the most rigorous test known to man to find the world’s best Pokémon Master.”
But this year, Google has one extra trick up their sleeve, allowing anyone to actually catch Pokémon on Google Maps.
April Fools’ Day is just a few days away! Are you prepared for it? Perhaps the pranks we picked out earlier this week were lacking some impact. Well, that’s because we kept the best for last!
If you’re looking for something that will shock the entire family or add a little excitement to your otherwise boring workplace, check out this homemade head in a jar! Be it for April Fools’ or for Halloween, this creepy artifact is bound to raise some hairs, and the best part is, no blood is involved in the making. Instructions after the jump!
Feb 14, 2014
Some people like Valentine’s Day and some people don’t, but the least we can do is stay out of one another’s way. Gushy types can do their romantic stuff, and more cynical types can boycott in whatever way they like best. Everybody wins, right?
Well, a personal boycott wasn’t enough for one jilted lover in Shanghai. He decided to organize a mob of internet singletons to buy up odd-numbered movie seats for showings of a popular romance movie to ensure couples wouldn’t be able to sit together on the 14th.
Typographers and moral crusader beware! A risqué Samsung billboard promoting their Galaxy 3 notepad has been, ahem, erected in four countries, leaving the South Korean company with a potentially embarrassing public relations mess. The offending ad must have been designed by someone who forgot to turn off the autocorrect feature before editing, making for an unintentionally hilarious billboard. Click below to find out what the racy sign says!
- Rachel Tackett
Oct 4, 2013
In a very misleading blog post titled “How to easily meet with a lot of characters at Disneyland,” our good friends over at Omocoro decided to troll their readers by taking pictures with random fixtures around the park and pretending that they met with Disney stars. The results are quite adorable, thanks to the addition of googly eyes, though many of the readers less acquainted with the site’s usual antics were woefully disappointed by the comedic content, having hoped for something of actual use.
For those who aren’t aware, Omocoro prides itself on being completely counterproductive. They are the ones who brought us such wonderful pranks as the build-it-yourself Lego bed and the life-size zebra apartment installation, as well as the ever-popular gem, a failed attempt at using Photoshop to turn their ugliest male writer into a sexy-looking lady. Usually, Omocoro saves their meanest tricks for their own staff members, but it seems someone really wanted to take a trip to Tokyo Disneyland on the company credit card this summer….
Earlier this month, the Katamachi branch of the Chinese food restaurant Gyoza no Osho (King of Gyoza) in Kanazawa City, Japan, shut down after a group of men decided to drop in on the royal dumpling restaurant dressed in nothing but their birthday suits.
- Preston Phro
Jul 18, 2013
We’re sure many of you readers are as sick of hearing about the Japan heat as we are suffering it, so let’s talk about some different weather! In specific: Rainy days and umbrellas!
Posting on Japanese news and community site My Navi News, a university student has asked the online community for its take on his somewhat unique predicament he found himself in after using everyone’s most hated insect to prevent his umbrella from being stolen.
- Andrew Miller
Jul 12, 2013
According to a recent Twitter post, a train on the JR Oji line came to an emergency stop after a single French fry broke through a window. The topic has become the subject of great debate online, with many speculating as to how a mere strip of potato could have penetrated solid glass.
Being in management is difficult. Sometimes you have to make lightning-quick decisions that you later regret. However, the most valuable members of an organization are the ones that take a risk, fail, and then make success from that very same failure.
The pioneering entrepreneurs at Omocoro are just such business men and would like to share their techniques with you on how to make gold out of 100,000 errantly purchased toy blocks in the following handy guide.
Paying toll sure is a pain.
Back in the good old days, you could just ram through the barrier if you didn’t want to pay; now, thanks to security cameras, doing that will leave you with a ticket and a damaged frame.
Yet while the days of speeding through toll booths to stick it to the man may be over, the following footage from a Chinese traffic camera shows that you can still get out of paying toll by scaring the sh** out of the man.
- Philip Kendall
Dec 10, 2012
A message left by a Twitter user claiming to be trapped under rubble after a powerful earthquake later turned out to be fake, causing outrage across Japan.
In the early evening of Friday, December 7, a magnitude-7.3 earthquake with its epicentre off the northeast coast of Japan caused tremors so large that the Tokyo cafe in which my boss and I sat fell silent as patrons no doubt began wondering whether they ought to take cover beneath their tables. Windows rattled and the entire building creaked and swayed for almost five minutes after the tremors stopped.
As people reached for their mobile phones, expressions of concern could be seen throughout the room as talk of “possible tsunami” and “northeast Japan” appeared on social networks and news sites.
Soon after, a tweet (pictured above) appeared online asking for help and requesting that the message be shared as much as possible. Within the next hour, concerned Twitter users had retweeted the message more than 13,000 times, with many sending messages asking for more information about the user’s location and encouraging them to remain calm.
When the writer of the original tweet resurfaced hours later, however, and began mocking those who fell for the prank, people were understandably very upset, and soon began demanding that the tweet writer’s real identity to be determined and for them brought to justice.
A lot of people were holding out for some exciting news during Final Fantasy’s 25 Anniversary event in Japan yesterday; perhaps some information on Final Fantasy Versus XIII or a Final Fantasy VII remake.
What they got instead was an elaborate 12-minute demonstration of Tokimeki Final Fantasy: Suzaku Magic Institution Peristylium ~ Oh no! I’m in Love With the Crystal’s Divine Guardian ~, an otome dating game set in the world of Final Fantasy Type-0.
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- 17 mouthwatering photos from the legendary sushi restaurant where Obama just ate dinner2
- Japanese people surprised to find that “popular Japanese store” Meiso doesn’t exist in Japan3
- What do Japanese people think of when they hear the word “otaku?”4
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit5
- First-of-its-kind towel is totally worth its 5,000 yen price, customers say6
- 21 photos of Sukiyabashi Jiro sushi, probably the best in all the world7
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life8
- 【TBT】Japanese artist paints breathtakingly lifelike 3-D goldfish using layers of resin9
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate10
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival1
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit2
- Photos of women with and without make-up show that reality is what you make it3
- 12 gender-bent Disney and Ghibli characters that are utter perfection4
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly5
- 10 Japanese expressions that sound delightfully strange and funny when translated6
- Cat greets its returning owner with so much warmth we’d swear it was puppy love7
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together8
- Japanese high school student becomes Twitter sensation showing difference between time with boyfriend and friends9
- Advice from Japanese women on dealing with your boyfriend’s anime girlfriend10
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)1
- Local thugs forced to fight pro Muay Thai fighters as punishment during Thai New Year festival2
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos3
- Daughter of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga, discovers his stash of hand-drawn sexy mouse artwork4
- 【TBT】China’s Photoshop experts will fix your bad photos, but be careful what you wish for5
- The extreme lengths Samsung must go to make sure your Galaxy phone works perfectly6
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour7
- Little store managers take over FamilyMart in Taiwan, hilarity and tons of cute in store【Video】8
- We hope you’re not thirsty — Tokyo shuts down its vending machines for U.S. president’s visit9
- 10 things Japan gets horribly wrong10
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results1
- Taiwan’s Gravity Max – Quite possibly the scariest roller coaster in the world2
- Don’t call them fat, call them Marshmallow Girls!3
- Japanese netizens put reality on hold for a moment, fall in love with new attorney general of Crimea4
- Beautiful gym babe impresses Chinese netizens with her incredible fitness!【Pics & GIFs】5
- Picture perfect siblings of 18 years apart melt the hearts of Chinese netizens【Photos】6
- Attack on Titan’s studio head talks sequels, keys to the hit anime’s success7
- Unfortunate Google employee forced to wander alone on eerie abandoned island for Street View photos8
- Chinese Photoshop Trolls and the Half-Blood Prisoner of the Deathly Phoenix Goblet (Part 6)9
- Ghibli’s Hayao Miyazaki says the anime industry’s problem is that it’s full of anime fans10
- First-of-its-kind towel is totally worth its 5,000 yen price, customers say
- 21 photos of Sukiyabashi Jiro sushi, probably the best in all the world
- Stunning 22-year-old HD footage brings Tokyo of the ‘90s back to life
- 【TBT】Japanese artist paints breathtakingly lifelike 3-D goldfish using layers of resin
- Konsei Matsuri: The giant penis riding festival in Iwate
- Japanese adult video star’s dramatic plastic surgery sets internet abuzz
- Does Avril Lavigne’s Tokyo music video really have anything to do with Japan?
- 10 incredible tiny houses in Japan: a photo tour
- The Rice Cube — tasty-looking appetizers made fun and easy!!
- “Miniature Calendar” reveals a magical world where tiny people live among our things【Photos】
- Who loves revolving sushi? Only families, couples, and solo diners (so, just about everyone)
- The baffling reason three men spent 30 minutes in an Akihabara restroom together
- With the stuffed characters of the Moomin Café, you’ll never dine alone!