Usually when you walk into a public restroom and see something out of the ordinary, it’s almost always the bad sort of surprise. Dirty floors, toilet seats with an extra bit of yellow, and much, much worse are just a part of the risk you take when entering an area complete strangers use to do their business. But one Twitter user got a different sort of surprise when she walked in to a bathroom stall and saw a face staring back.
There are a number of little niceties and services that make Japan a very comfortable place to live. Personally, my favorite has always been the folded toilet paper ends that can often be found in public restroom stalls everywhere. I don’t encounter them especially often, but when I do it brightens my day just like having a robin land on my window sill.
However, you can’t experience such joy without leaving yourself vulnerable to extreme disappointment as well. A prank has recently emerged in Japan which, although seemingly mundane and simple, completely shatters this sense of pleasure and leaves the victim a desolate shell of a person, just like having a robin land on your window sill and start projectile vomiting.
Aug 24, 2014
A Taiwanese mother recently gave her daughter a makeover, but it wasn’t the little girl who enjoyed it the most. If kids say the darnest things, then parents must be the ones who pull the funniest pranks on their offspring, and then have the last, biggest laugh of all.
Jun 27, 2014
I’m not entirely sure if this applies to all the McDonald’s outlets in the world, but the ones I’ve been to usually have soft serve ice cream (they call it a Vanilla Cone in Singapore) on the menu. It’s a simple, inexpensive sweet treat that hits the spot after a savory serving of burgers and fries.
It’s just vanilla ice cream served on a wafer cone, something so simple that almost nothing can go wrong… almost. We shan’t spoil it for you. Check out the video clip after the break!
A fridge with four delicious, thirsty-quenching Pepsis at the forefront? Think again! One of these things is not like the other, and we bet you had to take a second look to figure out exactly what was amiss.
Anime News Network
Jun 18, 2014
Google Maps‘ elaborate April Fools joke got even better. On April 1, Google launched its Pokémon Challenge game, where users could search real world locations on Google Maps and catch the original 151 Pokémon to complete a Pokédex.
Players who successfully completed the Pokédex received a message from Google Maps to fill out a form for a “surprise.” It turns out their efforts weren’t for naught, as several players, including Reddit user “tinygrump” received a congratulatory letter from Google Maps software engineer Tatsuo Nomura and 10 business cards with the title “Pokémon Master.”
You’ve been semen bombed!: 27-year-old Huang played a disgusting prank on women because he had been dumped by his girlfriend and claimed that he needed a way
It’s April Fool’s Day, which means that plenty of anime companies are having a good chuckle with fake announcements, quirky crossovers, and more. Here’s Part 1 of our round-up; check back later in the day for more!
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Apr 1, 2014
As you might expect, Google is up to its usual pranks in honor of April Fools’ Day, but this time, they’ve created something that’s actually playable that allows any Google Maps user to be the very best, like no one ever was.
The Google Maps Pokemon Challenge was announced in the form of an awesome YouTube video, with specific details on how to gain the coveted title of any 90s kid: Pokémon Master. Brian McClendon, Vice President of Google Maps, explains, “Now using the technology created by the Google Maps team, we’ve prepared the most rigorous test known to man to find the world’s best Pokémon Master.”
But this year, Google has one extra trick up their sleeve, allowing anyone to actually catch Pokémon on Google Maps.
April Fools’ Day is just a few days away! Are you prepared for it? Perhaps the pranks we picked out earlier this week were lacking some impact. Well, that’s because we kept the best for last!
If you’re looking for something that will shock the entire family or add a little excitement to your otherwise boring workplace, check out this homemade head in a jar! Be it for April Fools’ or for Halloween, this creepy artifact is bound to raise some hairs, and the best part is, no blood is involved in the making. Instructions after the jump!
Feb 14, 2014
Some people like Valentine’s Day and some people don’t, but the least we can do is stay out of one another’s way. Gushy types can do their romantic stuff, and more cynical types can boycott in whatever way they like best. Everybody wins, right?
Well, a personal boycott wasn’t enough for one jilted lover in Shanghai. He decided to organize a mob of internet singletons to buy up odd-numbered movie seats for showings of a popular romance movie to ensure couples wouldn’t be able to sit together on the 14th.
Typographers and moral crusader beware! A risqué Samsung billboard promoting their Galaxy 3 notepad has been, ahem, erected in four countries, leaving the South Korean company with a potentially embarrassing public relations mess. The offending ad must have been designed by someone who forgot to turn off the autocorrect feature before editing, making for an unintentionally hilarious billboard. Click below to find out what the racy sign says!
Oct 4, 2013
In a very misleading blog post titled “How to easily meet with a lot of characters at Disneyland,” our good friends over at Omocoro decided to troll their readers by taking pictures with random fixtures around the park and pretending that they met with Disney stars. The results are quite adorable, thanks to the addition of googly eyes, though many of the readers less acquainted with the site’s usual antics were woefully disappointed by the comedic content, having hoped for something of actual use.
For those who aren’t aware, Omocoro prides itself on being completely counterproductive. They are the ones who brought us such wonderful pranks as the build-it-yourself Lego bed and the life-size zebra apartment installation, as well as the ever-popular gem, a failed attempt at using Photoshop to turn their ugliest male writer into a sexy-looking lady. Usually, Omocoro saves their meanest tricks for their own staff members, but it seems someone really wanted to take a trip to Tokyo Disneyland on the company credit card this summer….
Earlier this month, the Katamachi branch of the Chinese food restaurant Gyoza no Osho (King of Gyoza) in Kanazawa City, Japan, shut down after a group of men decided to drop in on the royal dumpling restaurant dressed in nothing but their birthday suits.
Jul 18, 2013
We’re sure many of you readers are as sick of hearing about the Japan heat as we are suffering it, so let’s talk about some different weather! In specific: Rainy days and umbrellas!
Posting on Japanese news and community site My Navi News, a university student has asked the online community for its take on his somewhat unique predicament he found himself in after using everyone’s most hated insect to prevent his umbrella from being stolen.
Jul 12, 2013
According to a recent Twitter post, a train on the JR Oji line came to an emergency stop after a single French fry broke through a window. The topic has become the subject of great debate online, with many speculating as to how a mere strip of potato could have penetrated solid glass.
Feb 28, 2013
Being in management is difficult. Sometimes you have to make lightning-quick decisions that you later regret. However, the most valuable members of an organization are the ones that take a risk, fail, and then make success from that very same failure.
The pioneering entrepreneurs at Omocoro are just such business men and would like to share their techniques with you on how to make gold out of 100,000 errantly purchased toy blocks in the following handy guide.
Paying toll sure is a pain.
Back in the good old days, you could just ram through the barrier if you didn’t want to pay; now, thanks to security cameras, doing that will leave you with a ticket and a damaged frame.
Yet while the days of speeding through toll booths to stick it to the man may be over, the following footage from a Chinese traffic camera shows that you can still get out of paying toll by scaring the sh** out of the man.
Dec 10, 2012
A message left by a Twitter user claiming to be trapped under rubble after a powerful earthquake later turned out to be fake, causing outrage across Japan.
In the early evening of Friday, December 7, a magnitude-7.3 earthquake with its epicentre off the northeast coast of Japan caused tremors so large that the Tokyo cafe in which my boss and I sat fell silent as patrons no doubt began wondering whether they ought to take cover beneath their tables. Windows rattled and the entire building creaked and swayed for almost five minutes after the tremors stopped.
As people reached for their mobile phones, expressions of concern could be seen throughout the room as talk of “possible tsunami” and “northeast Japan” appeared on social networks and news sites.
Soon after, a tweet (pictured above) appeared online asking for help and requesting that the message be shared as much as possible. Within the next hour, concerned Twitter users had retweeted the message more than 13,000 times, with many sending messages asking for more information about the user’s location and encouraging them to remain calm.
When the writer of the original tweet resurfaced hours later, however, and began mocking those who fell for the prank, people were understandably very upset, and soon began demanding that the tweet writer’s real identity to be determined and for them brought to justice.
A lot of people were holding out for some exciting news during Final Fantasy’s 25 Anniversary event in Japan yesterday; perhaps some information on Final Fantasy Versus XIII or a Final Fantasy VII remake.
What they got instead was an elaborate 12-minute demonstration of Tokimeki Final Fantasy: Suzaku Magic Institution Peristylium ~ Oh no! I’m in Love With the Crystal’s Divine Guardian ~, an otome dating game set in the world of Final Fantasy Type-0.
- Japanese men list the top four reasons why they dumped their past girlfriends1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Shibuya celebrates Halloween 2014 with crazy costumes and huge crowds3
- Anime’s 10 biggest male perverts, as chosen by Japanese fans4
- Five ways to trap your boyfriend into revealing that he’s cheating on you, and why they are dumb5
- Taiwanese YouTuber’s punny pick-up line gets him a girl’s number in just 36 seconds6
- Thai schoolgirl invents eco-friendly method of roach disposal using 3 simple ingredients7
- Did you know Ayumi Hamasaki released a new single? Apparently neither did anyone else…8
- Our Japanese writer shares his tale of the night he was joined by an unwelcome guest9
- Ghibli food brought to life for one week of amazing lunches at elementary school in Japan10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Why Japanese doesn’t need swear words2
- Korean high schools allow “anything goes” yearbook photos, with hilarious results3
- Chinese woman in no mood to have SUV towed shows she has towing capacity too 【Video】4
- Gorgeous Taiwanese woman recruiting “temporary boyfriends” to fund her China travels5
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads6
- Korean cosplayer’s gender-bending costumes confuse us for a moment, then leave us mesmerized7
- Attack of the Clones: Finalists in this year’s Miss Korea contest once again looking eerily alike8
- Is the Fountain of Youth in Thailand? 1965’s Miss Universe still looks pretty incredible9
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】10
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher1
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】2
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked3
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China4
- Man revives woman with AED, branded a “pervert” for removing her clothes to apply electrode pads5
- Korean tattoo artist’s small, simple, stylish “line tattoos” change our impression of getting inked6
- Watch liquid turn into food at Japanese sample food factory 【Videos】7
- Japanese mothers react to being called by their first names after years of just being “Mama”8
- Cats trapped in circles! Japanese blogger shows the best way to outsmart your kitty【Photos】9
- “Beautiful foreigner walking a polar bear” spotted at Shibuya’s famous crossing10
- “Mom’s 1st Birthday” – Try to get through this video without tearing up【Video】1
- School textbook is withdrawn after “teacher” on the front is recognized as Japanese adult video star2
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls3
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher4
- Mickey and friends in human form are more charming than we had imagined! 【Pics】5
- A sad turn of events at a butterfly exhibition in China6
- 6-year-old boy vowed to marry his childhood sweetheart, really marries her 18 years later7
- Ten-year-old boy cuts construction worker’s lifeline because noise was interrupting his cartoons8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Chinese cat with unfortunate dark patch of fur tired of people asking why it’s shocked10
- Taiwanese YouTuber’s punny pick-up line gets him a girl’s number in just 36 seconds
- Thai schoolgirl invents eco-friendly method of roach disposal using 3 simple ingredients
- Did you know Ayumi Hamasaki released a new single? Apparently neither did anyone else…
- Our Japanese writer shares his tale of the night he was joined by an unwelcome guest
- Ghibli food brought to life for one week of amazing lunches at elementary school in Japan
- Three Kyoto sushi shops are sending girls reeling in culinary delight
- Get inspired by these 700-year-old words from a Japanese monk
- North Korean official put to death after twisting song lyrics during karaoke session
- Life’s not perfect? Says who? This woman’s life is too perfect to be true!
- The 10 best anime of the fall season, according to Japanese otaku
- How humanity ends: Virtual reality headset hooked up to Tenga love cup for men 【Video】
- Beautiful 43 Year Old Japanese Model Looks Like She’s In Her 20’s, Garners Huge Chinese Fanbase
- Amazing schoolgirl drummer nails anime theme, and her music career is just getting started