With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, stores across Japan are sure to be painted chocolate-brown in the coming weeks. Yes, chocolate makers here can count on doing brisk business in the days leading up to February 14, as Valentine’s Day is traditionally a day in Japan when women give gifts of chocolate to men, and shops will typically have whole areas devoted to chocolates of every shape, flavor and price range imaginable. Isetan Department Store is no exception, and one of the chocolates they’ll have on offer this year is … a beautiful creation from popular Italian chocolate manufacturer BABBI that features Sailor Moon and her guardian soldiers!
Okay, we know there are plenty of Sailor Moon goods out there, but for those of you who can’t get enough of the pretty soldiers, we have some more moon prism power studded goodies to share with you! This time, they’re additions to the line of precious looking Sailor Moon Pullip dolls that we’ve previously introduced, and we think the dolls may captivate you with their charm even if you’re not a Sailor Moon fan!
4 days ago
Okay, we admit we never thought we would be genuinely impressed with how “cute” a mobile phone is, but there’s no denying it — toy maker Bandai and telecommunications companies Y!mobile and Willlcom Okinawa have collaborated to come up with what can only be described as an utterly adorable cell phone. Yes, it’s an eye-catching, bright red, heart-shaped phone called the Heart 401AB model, and what’s more, it comes in a special Sailor Moon edition that you can custom decorate!
The release of the reanimated Sailor Moon series has brought with it an influx of new and exciting merchandise, much to the joy of fans old and new alike. Jewelry, apparel, accessories… even pens that look like our beloved Scouts’ transformation wands.
But for those of you who were wishing to fight some evil by moonlight, you may be in for a bit of disappointment.
5 days ago
When most anime fans think of the core cast members of Sailor Moon Crystal, they picture them in their sailor-style combat suits. But while they do indeed don those brightly color-coded getups when it’s time to do battle with the forces of evil, the teen heroines spend most of their week dressed in the uniforms of ordinary junior high students.
If you’ve ever wanted to cosplay not as Sailor Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, or Venus, but as their alternate non-magical girl identities, now’s your chance, as you can now buy official uniforms of the schools attended by the Sailor Senshi.
5 days ago
Last month, we took a look at the wedding photos of an extremely passionate Sailor Moon fan who infused her love of the classic magical girl series into nearly every aspect of her ceremony and reception. Impressed as we were, there was more than pure otaku gumption that went into the wedding, as the new bride also employed the considerable skills she’s developed working as a professional event planner.
But there’s another way to add a dash of Sailor Moon to your walk down the aisle, even if you don’t work in a creative industry. Provided whatever you do pays well, soon you’ll be able to order an official Sailor Moon wedding tiara.
Anime News Network
6 days ago
Jan 17, 2015
No matter how much you like Japanese animation, odds are you’ll reach a certain age where you need a dressier wardrobe than a closet full of anime T-shirts. It’s a milestone a large chunk of Sailor Moon’s fanbase is hitting these days, as it’s now been more than 20 years since the series’ TV premiere.
Thankfully, just because you’re too old to be buying all your clothes at an anime convention dealers room doesn’t mean you have to give up entirely on combining your passion for animation with what you wear. Fashion brand Tralala is launching a new line of Sailor Moon apparel that’ll be instantly recognizable to fellow fans, while still allowing you to fly fashionably under the radar with anyone who’s never seen the show.
Jan 15, 2015
With the hundreds of TV episodes and multiple theatrical features that make up the franchise, for decades fans have had their eyes fixed on Sailor Moon. Now, though, they’re getting the opportunity to turn things around and fix Sailor Moon to their eyes, with a new line of decorative contact lenses from anime’s most successful magical girl series ever.
Jan 12, 2015
For most of us growing up in the US in the early 2000s, there was one thing we looked forward to after school: episodes of Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon. While DBZ glued us to the TV with its excruciatingly long but always awesome fight scenes, Sailor Moon gave us powerful girls with prism power. These shows were the gateway to the land of anime, where love, sacrifice and training for more power had us positively transfixed for more hours than I’d care to count.
Is it any wonder that there is an entire fandom dedicated to Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon crossovers? What’s the story behind the Saiyans and the Sailor Soldiers? Do these two series secretly belong together? Find out this time on Dragon Sailor Ball Soldiers…Z!
Dec 27, 2014
A while back, we took a look at some Japanese wedding receptions that took cues from Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda and Konami’s Beatmania rhythm game. Japan isn’t the only place where fictional fandom and romantic nuptials cross paths, though.
This month, an American couple that seems to love Sailor Moon almost as much as they love each other took their vows, and not only are the outfits they wore for their ceremony the classiest cosplay we’ve seen in a long time, they’re just the beginning of the wedding’s many elegantly beautiful anime-inspired touches.
Dec 25, 2014
Sailor Moon has taken the anime world by storm this past year with the revamped Sailor Moon Crystal. Ever since it premiered this summer, we’ve gotten Sailor Moon lingerie, tortilla chips, and even a holy grail air freshener, but it’s only recently that we’re finally able to do the one thing we’ve wanted all along: become a sailor scout ourselves.
Dec 20, 2014
One of the really big differences between Japanese and American broadcasting is the relative lack of reruns on Japanese TV. With four, roughly 13-week seasons a year, and not nearly the plethora of channels available in the U.S., Japanese TV series, anime included, tend to chug straight from start to finish, and once they’re done, if you want to see an episode again, usually your only choice is on DVD or Blu-ray.
Once in a while, though, smaller carriers will pick up a series for rebroadcast after it’s finished its initial run. It’s a rare occurrence, though, so a recent poll asked anime fans which series they’d most like to see shown on TV one more time.
Dec 18, 2014
As cool as the collection of magical items used by Sailor Moon are, you have to admit that most of them wouldn’t exactly be the most practical things in your daily life. For example, a tiara that transforms into a disc of monster-killing energy when you throw it? That’s handy if you’re an anime heroine, but what if you’re just an ordinary fan who’s not running into evil creatures at a pace of literally once a week?
So while your first reaction to the news that merchandiser Bandai’s new Rainbow Moon Chalice replica does not, in fact, transform you into a more powerful version of your preexisting alter ego, in the long run, you’ll probably appreciate the fact that it instead fills your room with a pleasing smell.
As a huge fan of Sailor Moon, one artist decided to reimagine the characters in a fresh new way that resonated with them. In the resulting fanart the Sailor Senshi have undergone a magical transformation into black African women – check out these amazing illustrations below.
Nov 14, 2014
There are a number of upsides to Sailor Moon Crystal, the recent reboot of the smash hit anime from the 1990s. Aside from benefitting from 20 years of advancement in animation technology and technique, the franchise’s proven record of success means that Crystal has a higher budget and sticks closer to creator Naoko Takeuchi’s manga than the previous adaptation did.
Still, a reboot is a reboot, and if you’ve already watched all 200 episodes of the original Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R, Sailor Moon S, Sailor Moon Super S, and Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, then you’ve got a pretty big head start on many of the places Crystal’s plot is going. So if you’re the kind of person who snacks when you get bored, maybe some Sailor Moon tortilla chips will help you pass the time.
Gift giving season is around the corner and what better way to wrap up the mounds of Moonie merchandise than with Sailor Moon cards, gift bags, decorative tape, and boxes? All the above andmore are available for order as part of Bandai’s fourth round of Sailor Moon paper goods. Let’s take a look.
Given how many passionate manga fans Japan has, it’s kind of surprising that a lot of them don’t collect every issue of their favorite series. Most titles are published once a week as part of several-hundred-page anthologies printed on cheap, quickly deteriorating newsprint. On the other hand, higher-quality collected volumes lag months behind the weekly editions.
This creates a strange catch-22 where fans who want to be up to the minute on their heroes’ adventures buy the anthologies but later toss them out. Eventually, many cherry-pick which collected volumes to purchase in order to fill in the gaps where they missed one of the weeklies, or to have a permanent copy of their favorite scenes.
Of course, a lot of incomplete sets are also the result of fans getting burned out before reaching the end of some of Japan’s notoriously long-running series. Add in the fact that storage space is at a premium in Japanese homes, and it’s a testament to a title’s staying power and ability to captivate readers when they buy it from start to finish, like so many have with these 15 manga.
Oct 22, 2014
We recently took a look at a new batch of Sailor Moon aprons, but if you’ve been following the celestial-themed magical girls for very long, you knew that wasn’t going to be the end of cool and quirky tie-ins for the franchise. The product planning team of merchandiser Bandai apparently never sleeps, and those aprons were just the opening salvo of another round of Sailor Moon goodies, including one that’ll help fans with the first part of their quest to eat, sleep, and breathe the hit anime.
- Unreal “animation dancer” makes Japanese salarymen breakdance with the power of magic sunglasses1
- Learn how to drink with Japanese people in this funny and informative YouTube series【Videos】2
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”3
- Indonesian Muslim cleric declares selfies a sin, youths reciprocate with new selfie trend4
- We swear you’ve never seen Tokyo like this before 【Video】5
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China6
- South Korean artist offers a bare-bones look at our most loved cartoon characters【Photos】7
- Team Japan’s goalkeeper is awfully good at catching cats8
- New Star Wars toys are rolling their way into our galaxy right, right here9
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay2
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time3
- Attack on Titan’s Universal Studios Japan attraction opens4
- Disney Store is all grown up with new branch designed for adult women opening in Tokyo5
- Netizens hatch adorable baby birds from supermarket eggs, provide evidence6
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin7
- Secret backmasked message found hidden in Dragon Ball Z ending song8
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China9
- Is “Ago-kui” the next “Kabe-don”?10
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”1
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing2
- Cosplay ideals vs. cosplay reality, a.k.a. cool vs. funny 【Photos】3
- Internet ready to shut up and take your money as preorders finally start for Cat Ear Headphones4
- Edo era Samurai were pretty gay5
- Ugly-cute makeup genius feeds off negative troll comments on Twitter6
- “Malaysian girl holding things” is our new favourite Instagram account 【Photos】7
- New magnetic “slate” lets you write on actual paper, digitize your drawings in real-time8
- Teacher draws over students’ doodles to make red pen masterpieces9
- Photos of people lining up outside of the Sapporo Apple Store make us feel positively frozen10
- Hayao Miyazaki working on new project, says “I’m going to continue making anime until I die”1
- “No one sleeps in her class!” Internet goes gaga for gorgeous Chinese science teacher2
- Self-taught Singaporean artist creates unbelievably realistic art on plywood3
- Buyers’ remorse in China: After a record-breaking day of online shopping, the angry selfies begin4
- 1,200 Japanese workers convert above-ground train to subway line in a matter of hours5
- Tiny town in northern Japan creates gorgeous, gigantic artwork out of rice paddies 【Video】6
- Japanese high school holds annual contest to decide the prettiest “girl” in school7
- Nobel Prize-winner Shuji Nakamura to Japan’s young people: “Get out of Japan”8
- Kyoto taxi drivers reduce convenience store robberies by 50 percent by doing absolutely nothing9
- Sorry guys! Video of “sexy ice cream girl” in Taipei only delivers on half its milky promises10
- Cross-dressing Cosplay Idol Group a Huge Hit in China
- South Korean artist offers a bare-bones look at our most loved cartoon characters【Photos】
- Team Japan’s goalkeeper is awfully good at catching cats
- New Star Wars toys are rolling their way into our galaxy right, right here
- The cat hairband, for when cat ears just aren’t enough
- How many do you know? 12 delicious foods in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores
- The detail on these Japanese dollhouses is amazing!
- Dattebayo! 12 awesome cast photos from the upcoming Naruto live spectacular
- Ritzy Japanese cop breaks Rolex wristwatch during arrest, sends suspect US$6,000 repair bill
- No more photo retouches! New makeup for cosplayers claims to create photo-perfect skin
- Evangelion couple rings let you tell your sweetheart you love him or her like Shinji loves Kaworu
- “Wait, you’re a dude? Meh, marry me anyway.” New male princess stealing hearts in China