Being able to read is something many people take for granted. I mean, English with its Latin alphabet only consists of 26 letters. Now imagine that the writing system (or script) of your country was changed for political reasons. Cities and towns across the border share almost the same spoken language, but with a totally different way of writing it down. This has been the situation in Mongolia. Drastic changes in scripts throughout the twentieth century have led to recurrent headaches for native readers.
Michelle Lynn Dinh
Dec 31, 2012
Can you read the sentence written above? You should be able to; it’s written in English.
When I first started learning Japanese, the Chinese characters and syllabic scripts that were scrawled across my textbooks looked like some kind of crazy code that only aliens could understand. After years of studying, many of the previously cryptic symbols have become familiar, readable letters. However, now even English can be turned into a jumble of alien ciphers thanks to these 10 +1 fonts inspired by Japanese characters.
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”1
- Feast your eyes on yet more adorable 8-bit GIFs depicting daily life in Japan2
- See Japan like never before at “Ambiguous☆Thighs Photo Studio” 【Pics】3
- Wagakki Band releases video for new song “Akatsukino Ito,” featuring swords and dragons 【Video】4
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure5
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea6
- Kabe-don: How tough guys show their love!7
- World’s smallest “hopping mouse” could fit into your pocket’s pocket8
- History Channel shows our Mr. Sato to the U.S.…as a student who’ll eat anything for five bucks?!?9
- Girls, drink all you want! “Hangover Makeup” is in!10
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure1
- 10 incredible tales of kindness on Japanese trains, as told by foreigners2
- Meet Asuna, the hyperreal android that will leave your jaw hanging 【Video】3
- Girls, drink all you want! “Hangover Makeup” is in!4
- Critic reviews Attack on Titan movie: “I wished the titans would eat the kids so it would end”5
- New Japanese “Rent-a-Girlfriend” Service Offers Simulated Romance, and Probably a Little More6
- Counting in Japanese just became a whole lot easier with this handy infographic7
- The ingenious (and ridiculous) ways the Vietnamese are fending off the crippling summer sun8
- Just what the heck is the Tokyo Olympics symbol supposed to be?9
- Brace yourselves, because panty-scrunchies are now real, buyable accessories10
- Age is just a number: 50-year-old Chinese model releases new photobook, drives the Internet crazy1
- Sea bunnies? Japanese netizens going nuts for super cute sea slug2
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure3
- The clean otaku only needs one thing to remove grime from an anime keychain, and it’s not soap4
- Japan’s 43-year-old sweetheart is back with a new DVD showing her in schoolgirl uniform, bikinis5
- Cute otaku Korean model entrances Japanese men online: “She can’t possibly be real!”6
- The clever way Japanese drivers thank each other without saying a word【Video】7
- Video of Chinese couple doing it in changing room triggers Uniqlo selfie boom8
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea9
- Japanese Twitter celebrates new “Muslim Lolita fashion” trend 【Pics】10
- This is how Japan’s train-cleaning crews clean the Shinkansen in only seven minutes1
- Age is just a number: 50-year-old Chinese model releases new photobook, drives the Internet crazy2
- Gorgeous college student quits school to become a butcher, gets hailed as “Pork Princess” online3
- Japanese Twitter user’s comics depicting office-lady life will hit you right in the feels4
- Sayonara, sushi: 21 little things that people miss after leaving Japan5
- Sea bunnies? Japanese netizens going nuts for super cute sea slug6
- Executives arrested from scam dating sites that had 2.7 million users and only one female member7
- We tried Tokyo’s “rent a middle-aged Japanese man” service, and it was awesome!8
- Here’s why you should never shine a black light on a used anime character figure9
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls10
- 61 more images of cosmetic surgery from South Korea
- Kabe-don: How tough guys show their love!
- World’s smallest “hopping mouse” could fit into your pocket’s pocket
- History Channel shows our Mr. Sato to the U.S.…as a student who’ll eat anything for five bucks?!?
- Girls, drink all you want! “Hangover Makeup” is in!
- Countries become anime characters, anime characters become real men in Hetalia musical
- How to make Japan’s coolest summer snack: Onigirazu! 【Recipe & Video】
- Chocolate, candlesticks, hamsters… everything is melting in Japan’s heat wave! 【Photos】
- Why just climb Mt. Fuji when you can build it with this awesome paper-stacking kit?
- Artist turns innocent Disney princesses into flirty pin-up girls
- You can’t remake perfection, but Resident Evil 2 fans try anyway (and get creators’ attention)
- “Blue Dragon” Sea Slug Reminds Us That the Ocean is Filled With Strange Creatures That Look Like Pokemon
- Can our Japanese writers guess what this pink soy sauce is by taste alone?【Video】